Wild Camping rules in Scotland

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 18, 2017
UK
Hello

I am new here.

Can anyone tell me what the rules are about "wild camping" in Scotland?

A) Exactly how far away from a road must you be?
B) Are you allowed to camp near beaches, particularly if they are not overly remote?
C) If you have already pitched camp and it's late at night can you be moved on?

I had a word with the planning department in Inverness and the lady there sounded very wooly - like she was making it up as she went!

Thanks

J

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hello, and welcome :D

Probably the most relevant information I know of is the Scottish Natural Heritage site guidelines.

http://www.outdooraccess-scotland.com/Practical-guide/public/camping

I'm not surprised that the planning dept., didn't have anything useful, I think I'd have tried the Tourist information centre, myself.

SNH used to send out the handbooks, but I don't know it they do so now. It was a very good and clear publication, and I do know that those, and assorted leaflets were distributed to both tourist information centres as well as those leaflet racks one sees all over the place.

In light of the hassle over the Loch Lomond (and other easily accessed lochs) sites, it's maybe time for them to find funding to do it afresh.

cheers,
Toddy

Last edited:

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Also check the latest regulations with Loch Lommand National Park authority as they have recently increased the size of the prohibition I believe.

Living on the south coast of England I'm not always up to date.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE