Wild Camping in yorkshire or derbyshire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

youkilledmyfather

Oct 18, 2005
Leicestershire
Hello, everyone!

I want to take my family to do some wild camping. We are fed up of campsites that are so noisy and crowded. plus i would like to start teaching the kids some basic campcraft skills that campsites are not allowing us to do. Any one know anywhere in Derbyshire or Yorkshire?

Thanks

Trevody

May 30, 2005
North Lincolnshire
Hi
I’m in a very similar position, with my two young lads, who I’m keen to get out into the woods with and do a bit of bush craft. :lmao:
The one possible solution that I’ve come up with is to look on the Scout base web site campsite directory.

http://www.scoutbase.org.uk/cgi-bin/camping/db.cgi?db=camping&uid=default

This will give you campsites in your region and if you look through the camp details it will inform you if a site it suitable for ‘backwoods camps’.
I have booked a site local to me for a weekend at Easter; the warden seemed very helpful and accommodating when I contacted him and told him of what I was lookig to do, though I did have to do the booking over the phone, as I got no response from e-mails that I sent.
My understanding is if the site is not booked by a Souting group it is possible for others to book a site with something like a fee of £2 per head per night

Hope this is of some help to you.

Trev :D

Trevody

May 30, 2005
North Lincolnshire
sorry guy's don't know what I've done wrong there! :eek:
err, just tried it myself and I'm not getting through, so my guess is their having server problems, the link was working fine this morning, I can only suggest try again in a day or two. :(

Trev

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
I just had to bring this old thread back to life so I could tell you all about camping out on saturday night!

I'll skip straight to the best bit, and tell you me and my wife camped on the cliffs at Flamborough Head (east yorks), where there is flat ground at grass that appears to belong to nobody that wants it for anything, and there's even a car park and public toilet. The cliffs are blazing white chalk, the sea is clear, and it's very close to Sewerby Hall, which we also visited, and really enjoyed.

We camped without a fire, and left nothing more than flattened grass on a bit of the cliff that'll fall into the sea before too long. There were a few young lads there having beers and camping out, so it may be busy and noisy sometimes, but they didn't disturb us or leave litter. They can't have disturbed the wildlife too badly either, because when I woke up at 6:20am on sunday morning, stepped outside to a panoramic view of the North Sea, and turned around, there was a young deer stood stock-still in the field 50m away.

A couple of the young kids had stayed awake all night but still hadn't seen it! :nana:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE