Wild camping and metal detecting.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
In what town did this happen in and roughly how long ago did it happen?

I only ask because what you've said isn't true, you hire the skip and have use of it until the skip company collects the skip... the skip company do not own what is in the skip at all. I've dealt with 26 council authorities over skips, so if your friend went to court and received suspended sentences, that will have effected their lives greatly, and it should be corrected.

Different if the skip is at the refuse tip and you drive up in your car, throw an old bike in there... then it becomes council property... but a private skip? Nope.
It was in Leeds and some considerable time ago.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Then someone needing a coaching bolt is going to be very dissapointed!

Maybe I'm being slow today (just today I hear you say) :rolleyes: but I don't understand that one. Could you explain for me?

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Boatman's right on the helmet, and that's also probably why MD's often declare that their contribution is not recorded on the official report.

It comes down to two things.
One, the excavation report is just that. It's the report of what was researched, revealed, excavated, recorded and interpreted by those who worked the site.
That 'ought' to have at least a mention in the prior research of items that were reported as found on the site. However, that comes down to proof. A Roman helmet found above a Viking layer ? yeah, I'd doubt that. Not saying it couldn't be, after all the Vikings did trawl the world for treasure, good things, etc., but, I would really need to see secure context to believe it.

Secondly, it's back to secure context. Is there good, clear, recorded evidence that that particular helmet came out of that site in that particular context ?
It's not that we personally might not believe the finder, but we cannot prove it, and we cannot prove it with enough clear evidence that it can be given provenance.

I believe that's what Boatman's post was trying to say.
As for spiking the ground with ringpulls….how about those who salt the ground with cheap Roman coins and tesserae to get Archaeologist involved in an attempt to stop building works ?
Swings and roundabouts.

M

Last edited:

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
I wonder what the reaction would have been had the post mentioned a desire to wild camp and do a spot of fishing. Only with a rod licence and local permission etc. You would also be expected to follow local rules on catch and release or no more then two for your tea etc. Most people on this forum would be telling you of legal requirements etc even though they might waste your leisure time.

Edit: actually weknow the answer from the reaction to the use of a hobo fishing set up as opposed to a conventional rod and line.

Last edited:

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Maybe I'm being slow today (just today I hear you say) :rolleyes: but I don't understand that one. Could you explain for me?

I was talking previously about how I'm happier finding scrap nuts and bolts... Just ignore me :lmao:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Bushcraft Betty became just too smuttily near the knuckle for this forum. Biker's artwork is very good though, and his early BB jokes that were posted here were very funny. If you google bushcraft betty in google images you can find the one where she's head down in the skip.
It's very good :D I want her shoes :eek:

M

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I was talking previously about how I'm happier finding scrap nuts and bolts... Just ignore me :lmao:

Sorry Mick it was just me being slow.

On the ringpulls I was chuffed the other year as a few of the old sort that came off the can whole got washed up to the side of the loch I was camping at. Spent a good half hour doing the frisbee pinger thing with them. Can't do that with the modern ones. :D
Plus used to know a chap who made fishing lures out of them.

Rich D

Forager
Jan 2, 2014
Nottingham
Bushcraft Betty became just too smuttily near the knuckle for this forum. Biker's artwork is very good though, and his early BB jokes that were posted here were very funny. If you google bushcraft betty in google images you can find the one where she's head down in the skip.
It's very good :D I want her shoes :eek:

M

It's probably worth warning that this picture came up when I did that search - does anyone know how to scrub your retinas?

20130812_103818_zps9521dce7.jpg

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
As for spiking the ground with ringpulls….how about those who salt the ground with cheap Roman coins and tesserae to get Archaeologist involved in an attempt to stop building works ?
Swings and roundabouts.

M

In fairness though I only did that the once :p

I see where you're coming from and as I've said, I agree on the context etc... in the case of the helmet, rightly or wrongly, the law didn't apply. Understand what you're saying about recording evidence, but it is what it is... the site can continue to be investigated, just minus a helmet that may or may not have come from there.

Reminds me of the ancient sword on Time Team... had a piece of barbed wire underneath it, proving that the sword was placed there by someone in recent memory... the archaeologists were livid!

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Livid perhaps at losing what could have been an interesting site but not displeased that their methodical methods of working had got near the truth.It did make a fascinating programme.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
In fairness though I only did that the once :p

I see where you're coming from and as I've said, I agree on the context etc... in the case of the helmet, rightly or wrongly, the law didn't apply. Understand what you're saying about recording evidence, but it is what it is... the site can continue to be investigated, just minus a helmet that may or may not have come from there.

Reminds me of the ancient sword on Time Team... had a piece of barbed wire underneath it, proving that the sword was placed there by someone in recent memory... the archaeologists were livid!

I just sat and watched it (youtube) - an interesting watch!

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
If you don't want to spoil someone's leisure time you can always make a chainmail shirt with ring pulls.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I found this facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/The-Ghosts...1074868343353/photos_stream?ref=page_internal

At first I found it fascinating, the stuff they are digging up is amazing, weapons and ammunition going from pistol rounds to artillery rounds and a lot, I mean a lot of personal items from the dead.

Then photo's of bodily remains including mounds of skulls...just not right. Looking further it looks to be a money maker, they clean up all sorts from weapons to helmets and sell them...left a bad taste in my mouth to be honest.

When I lived out on Cyprus in the eighties I was told that if you found something like a piece of pottery etc when digging, building a house, extending a house et al you had to stop all work and report the find to the university in Nicosia. Eventually someone would come down and decide if you could carry on working or whether it needed an investigation from the university which could take months; sadly the knock on effect was that many locals did not report their finds and carry on or if the find was 'good' they would sell on the black market.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
We like reenactment and reenactment markets but some Militaria versions make one feel unclean. Sets of photographs found in wallets from battlefields, for example.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE