Wiggy's Ultima Thule

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Phaestos

Sep 8, 2012
Manchester
So I recently returned from a very successful Finland trip, having borrowed a Wiggy's Antarctica bag off of Gray of this parish. It was an amazing bag to use, if slightly large for me. Having now experienced first hand how good they are, I'm thinking of investing in the Ultima Thule, mostly for the smaller pack size. The Antarctica is rated to around -60, so it had no problem with my -32 record, but took up around half of one 120 litre holdall when stuffed and compressed. I'd obviously like to reduce that pack size, but retain the wonderful warmth. I was wondering how people got on in the Thule at below -30, seeing as it is rated to around -28. Did you wear a softie suit? Would the softie suit give me warmth down to -40 odd? About how small does it compress? Would you recommend the boat foot design they offer? Just some general knowledge. Cheers guys,

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Not tried it yet, in anger, but I got the ulthima thule hunter with a hood, which has a box foot, and is luxurious, you can spread out your legs stretch your knees...:)

That takes up at least half of a 120l british army holdall.

I'll be using a thermo king size jerven bag as a bivi, [and also a mothership jacket] And the amazingly thick
Exped Synmat 12lxw Rated R6 -25, 12 cm thick, 77cm wide. [Same size as a single mattress.]
That sleep system should se me warm to -60 I would think. Jerven king size covers it all.
The other thing, is the materials of the uthima thule are silky and luxurious feeling.

Ill be in my bag in a merino t shirt and shorts, with a small woolen bag, [modded scarf]with a nalgene bpa hot water bottle, with damp socks gloves buffs in it. It even comes with a proper comfy pillow. A woolpower balaclava and foam earplugs. And sleeping tablets.

I may sleep through the entire week. :D

Last edited:

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
The only real difference between Wiggy's Ultima THule and the Antarctica is the additional layer on the bottom of the Antarctica - the top layers are the same. And IMO, as the bottom layer of any bag gets squashed by your weight thereby diminishing its effectiveness, the top layer is the one that gives the most heat. So as long as you've got a good insulating mat like the Exped down/synmat ones I reckon the UT would do for you down to -40. I've used the superlight on its own down to -20 wearing just base layer (and on a mesh cot - not clever as cold air circulated under me!) and it was fine.

I like the boat-foot design (have it on my UT, and the regular foot on my Superlight and FTRSS overbag), and the boat-foot works fine. Clearly more insulation around the feet area, yet still plenty of room. I'd recommend it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE