Why was the 'Why prepare' thread shut down..?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
It wasn't provoked Gary, It was from the heart.. I feel that nothing has been resolved so I bid you guys goodbye.... I have very much enjoyed using this site and I have met some good mate mates through it, but it is time for me to move on.. I shall be on Bushcraft living if anyone wants me...
Thank you Tony for a great site, your a star sir..... I shall miss it... Jon Pickett...

I'm terribly sorry you feel that way Jon. I truly hope it is not in response to my post, because it certainly wasn't aimed at you. As I recall yours, as usual, was one of the reasonable voices trying to get the thread back on track.

I do think some things have been resolved, at least one of the main protagonists of that particular slanging match appears to have thrown his rattle out of the pram and left the site and others have seen that there is going to be a new approach to dealing with the problem through the carding system.

As I think John said somewhere else on the site, (I can't find the exact quote.) part of the problem is that some of the older members are allowed to act in ways that would quickly get a new member banned for being a Troll.

There has been an active, vocal and often troublesome cadre on this site for a few years now, that seem to delight in stirring things up and then gloating about it on other sites.

It's a great shame, because a few of them were highly respected members in the past, but their argumentative bitterness has reduced them to figures of derision and scorn when discussed by members around the campfires at meets and moots.

If they could just "Get over it!" I think a lot of the members who used to post a lot, but have backed off recently because of their bilious rancour, might feel more like getting more involved again.

There, I've said perhaps more than I should but it's out now........

Aha...Found the quote.

I think a large part of the problem is the members who are both knowledgeable members and trolls. Straight out trolls tend to get banned quickly where as those with a history of useful posts behind them are given much more leeway.

It is not my call but I tend to think short term bans could be used as a bit of a deterrent. At the moment sending a thread off on one only gets the thread locked but still allows you to go on another thread and do the same. If you got a week long ban for stirring it then clearly you can't cause the same problem for that week.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I've been reading this thread, on and off, and I must say I'm quite surprised it's still going. Not because of its contentious nature but because it's getting really quite dull and long in the tooth.
It seems to me there is only one real way of resolving this issue:
There should be a poll asking whether 'survival' should be part of this forum. If so, well, that's that then. If not, then maybe 'Bushcraft and Survival Skills' should become 'Bushcraft Skills' to avoid any ambiguity.
I'm sure that will help clarify the issue.

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
It's a great shame, because a few of them were highly respected members in the past, but their argumentative bitterness has reduced them to figures of derision and scorn when discussed by members around the campfires at meets and moots.

If the worst they have done on this site is earn the emnity of a fancy dress childrens entertainer then they havent come out of this too badly off.

If they could just "Get over it!" I think a lot of the members who used to post a lot, but have backed off recently because of their bilious rancour, might feel more like getting more involved again.

'rancour' lol ain't that the pit monster in Return of the Jedi

There, I've said perhaps more than I should but it's out now........

You'll never make a mod with outbursts like that Gary......

Wayland

Hárbarðr
If the worst they have done on this site is earn the emnity of a fancy dress childrens entertainer then they havent come out of this too badly off.

Ah... Personal attacks, the last refuge of the socially challenged.

I have no intention of getting into a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.

Sorry was that word a bit too long for you, here is an easy to read definition for you.

I wouldn't become a mod if they paid me, I'm too busy educating 6000 or so children a year, instead of pruning trees.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere

What was the point of saying things like that?

Time to grow up, children. Or you'll have the backs of your legs smacked and sent to bed without any supper.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Looking at the 'What Age Group Do You Fall Into' thread I see that the overwhelming majority are between 25 and 44.
You'd not believe that reading this thread.
Are you all still having fun with your favourite pasttime (I say 'pasttime' since I doubt there are many 'professional' - that is, making a living - bushcrafters)?
It doesn't read like it.
Listen, kiddies, bicker away. I've got more important things to do and people to see than waste time arguing with people. Listen, move out of living with your parents and then you'd see there are more important things to be doing than arguing like this. Is this how you conduct yourself at work when people disagree?
Speechless. Just grow up and conduct yourself like adults.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
OK, I vote this thread is not only locked, but it is DELETED.
Why? Because it is an EXTREMELY poor advert for this forum and does an incredible disservice and I wouldn't want people to read it knowing that I also use this site. This opinion is NOT based on my suspicion of the term 'survival' (which I see as a perfectly valid discussion topic) but on the immature bickering that is taking place.
Personally, I'm ashamed of it all and I think BCUK is poorer for it.

The Joker

Native
Sep 28, 2005
Surrey, Sussex uk
For feck sake everyone. Stop it!

[oh shoot...can I say 'feck'?!]

Stone him......Stone him!:eek:

As far as Im concerned Bushcraft and survival skills overlap each other so whats the problem.
If people want to prepare for Armageddon good for them natural born survivors...........
If people want to talk about extreme survival good for them again doesn't mean you have to pee on there fireworks just cause you don't agree.
There are loads of threads on here Im not interested in so I choose not to read them, Not post on them just to be B L O O D Y minded.
For me I'll just carry on practising bushcraft on a laid back theme and if friends new and old want to join me then all the better.

I for one am very saddened by Jon Pickett leaving the forum, he is one of my best friends and he has always brought a lot to this forum with his pictures and his love of the great outdoors.

We all have a common ground here Bushcraft/Survival and we cant get on............No wonder there is so much C R A P going on in the world.

spiritofold

Banned
May 7, 2004
Winchester
www.spiritofold.co.uk
Stone him......Stone him!:eek:

As far as Im concerned Bushcraft and survival skills overlap each other so whats the problem.
If people want to prepare for Armageddon good for them natural born survivors...........
If people want to talk about extreme survival good for them again doesn't mean you have to pee on there fireworks just cause you don't agree.
There are loads of threads on here Im not interested in so I choose not to read them, Not post on them just to be B L O O D Y minded.
For me I'll just carry on practising bushcraft on a laid back theme and if friends new and old want to join me then all the better.

I for one am very saddened by Jon Pickett leaving the forum, he is one of my best friends and he has always brought a lot to this forum with his pictures and his love of the great outdoors.

We all have a common ground here Bushcraft/Survival and we cant get on............No wonder there is so much C R A P going on in the world.

Give that man a beer!! Well said!

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Oh, this makes me so sad.

I’ve just deleted a whole raft of pompous claptrap about that this subject and this forum means to me, but at the end of the day I suppose what I love about this forum is that it legitimises me continuing to enjoy things I did when I was six. To me this is playing out in the garden without people laughing at me because I’m a grown up. I very rarely actively purse anything we discus, but I enjoy discussing it – I’m a light weight.

What makes me sad is that more and more users seem to be replacing a passion for pastime with an evangelical need to convert users to their own point of view which they feel must be conformist. Or perhaps that’s how it seems; I think and hope that most of these disagreements spring out of the nature of this form of communication. The discussion of complex concepts in this environment has been my profession for a number of years and it’s not as easy as one may think. This virtual world is so focussed, intimate and immediate that it can take on an intensity that it really doesn’t deserve. As such, emphasis is inferred where it was never intended, lazy writing styles are misread as dismissive statements and disagreements are interpreted as aggression. This subject is not serious enough to get worked up about, but it is interesting enough to be discussed rationally by grownups who enjoy it. If you have a point to make, make it with good grace as it would be a shame if a valid contribution was ignored due to an inappropriate attitude,

Guys chill out and enjoy the subject , please.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Oh, this makes me so sad.

I’ve just deleted a whole raft of pompous claptrap about that this subject and this forum means to me, but at the end of the day I suppose what I love about this forum is that it legitimises me continuing to enjoy things I did when I was six. To me this is playing out in the garden without people laughing at me because I’m a grown up. I very rarely actively purse anything we discus, but I enjoy discussing it – I’m a light weight.

What makes me sad is that more and more users seem to be replacing a passion for pastime with an evangelical need to convert users to their own point of view which they feel must be conformist. Or perhaps that’s how it seems; I think and hope that most of these disagreements spring out of the nature of this form of communication. The discussion of complex concepts in this environment has been my profession for a number of years and it’s not as easy as one my think. This virtual world is so focussed, intimate and immediate that it can take on an intensity that it really doesn’t deserve. As such, emphasis is inferred where it was never intended, lazy writing styles are miss read as dismissive statements and disagreements are interpreted as aggression. This subject is not serious enough to get worked up about, but it is interesting enough to be discussed rationally by grownups who enjoy it. If you have a point to make, make it with good grace as it would be a shame if a valid contribution was ignored due to an inappropriate attitude,

Guys chill out and enjoy the subject , please.

Well said. A lesson for us all.
8823.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE