Why was the 'Why prepare' thread shut down..?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chips

Banned
Oct 7, 2008
scotland
I'd like to thanks the Mods for 99.99% spot on judgement when closing threads. I for one have been quite grateful when some of these threads have been closed and the Mods have lept to the defence of common decency. It also stops people getting hounded, bullied. victimised, threatened, insulted, degraded and abused. I have both been on the receiving end of this and also been guilty of some inapporopriate mumurings in moments when the red fog descends.

If closing threads because of dangerous overtones or agressive undercurrents I'm all for it. I am a member on it because I want to share the wonderful experience of bushcraft and not really the pains of life. Sorry.

:ban: ;)

I have to say, I disagree.

If you have been picking on other members, I think you should be banned, or barred from the thread. Not just close the thread, that way the attackers escape unpunished and just move on to the next thread, which also gets closed and the cycle continues as all the good threads get closed.

And if you do get offended by people disagreeing with you, well, you need thicker skin.

I have a lot of opinions, many of which are extremely controversial. Plenty of people disagree with me and I don't mind one bit. And if anyone tries to insult me personally, it doesn't bother me at all, it just lets me know I am superior.

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
I have to say, I disagree.

If you have been picking on other members, I think you should be banned, or barred from the thread. Not just close the thread, that way the attackers escape unpunished and just move on to the next thread, which also gets closed and the cycle continues as all the good threads get closed.

And if you do get offended by people disagreeing with you, well, you need thicker skin.

I have a lot of opinions, many of which are extremely controversial. Plenty of people disagree with me and I don't mind one bit. And if anyone tries to insult me personally, it doesn't bother me at all, it just lets me know I am superior.

Shut up :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :p

Bernie

Dana Hawkeye

Oct 1, 2008
England
As the originator of the thread ''Why Prepare'', I was quite disheartened to see the thread descend into the slanging match and flame fest that resulted - That was not my intention.

My intention was to publish the list of ''possible scenarios'' that could/may occur in the part of the world where you live and for the reader to have a checklist of the said scenarios. It was more of a thought provoking excercise, to make you stop and think, well maybe, that could happen where I live? and what would I do if it did? and what preparations have I made?

True, there were/are some scenarios that some might think are fanciful, remote or to some fantastical, but the list would not be complete if I never inserted them into it. Remember also, that some members of this forum are of International origin whereby some of the more 'extreme' scenarios have happened, are happening or that do happen on a regular basis.

To me, a little preparation, however small and seeingly mundane and to some quite obvious, is like an Insurance Policy, much like your Home Buildings Insurance - You have one, but you hope you never have to use it.

How many of you carry a spare tyre, first-aid kit, warning triangle and petrol can in your car? How many of you have torches, spare fuses and candles somewhere handy in your house? These are all preparations.

Never once did I mention ''Apocalypse'' or WW3. Some of those ''possible scenarios'' are everyday threats to some in this world and to them ''prepping'' is a normal activity, without them really having to think about it.

I just feel it is quite sad of some people to not be able to discuss this issue in an adult fashion as obviously some people find it an interesting subject. If you dont like the subject, dont react to it ....... simple, move on.

regards
Dana

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
As the originator of the thread ''Why Prepare'', I was quite disheartened to see the thread descend into the slanging match and flame fest that resulted - That was not my intention.

My intention was to publish the list of ''possible scenarios'' that could/may occur in the part of the world where you live and for the reader to have a checklist of the said scenarios. It was more of a thought provoking excercise, to make you stop and think, well maybe, that could happen where I live? and what would I do if it did? and what preparations have I made?

True, there were/are some scenarios that some might think are fanciful, remote or to some fantastical, but the list would not be complete if I never inserted them into it. Remember also, that some members of this forum are of International origin whereby some of the more 'extreme' scenarios have happened, are happening or that do happen on a regular basis.

To me, a little preparation, however small and seeingly mundane and to some quite obvious, is like an Insurance Policy, much like your Home Buildings Insurance - You have one, but you hope you never have to use it.

How many of you carry a spare tyre, first-aid kit, warning triangle and petrol can in your car? How many of you have torches, spare fuses and candles somewhere handy in your house? These are all preparations.

Never once did I mention ''Apocalypse'' or WW3. Some of those ''possible scenarios'' are everyday threats to some in this world and to them ''prepping'' is a normal activity, without them really having to think about it.

I just feel it is quite sad of some people to not be able to discuss this issue in an adult fashion as obviously some people find it an interesting subject. If you dont like the subject, dont react to it ....... simple, move on.

regards
Dana

Dana, don't blame yourself, we are all grown ups here, but your list that pretty much started the ball rolling, was a little over the top to be honest, certainly for UK members, scenes of chaos not that likely to occur. I have good friends in the States, been through a lot the last few years, in fact, as a stove collector, one of my favourites is a very modest stove that was used to heat coffee and water in the aftermath of Katrina for several weeks and given to me by the man who used it. Yes they prep and so do I.

The bad winter of 1963 cost my dad his wholesale fruit and veg business, but we did fine

You say "If you don't like the subject, don't react to it,,,,,,,, simple move on" I would counter that by saying "if people are reacting in a fashion that does not suit you or is causing hassle, perhaps its best to keep quiet and stop stoking the flames" and you move on. When you say that it comes across as 'its my way or the highway, like it or leave', sorry, the world is not like that.

This is the real world where people will bite back, you may not like it, but it can't always go your way, others have an opinion too

Now, lets get back on track and bury this nonsense please

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
True, problem is, the world has gone all 'touchy feely' and PC, you can't say this, you must not say that etc, so emotions can get bottled up, they have to come out somewhere

You get little blowups on all forums at some time, no harm done in the real world, not worth worrying about and it, in this instance, made a refreshing change from having to read yet another post about how good Ventile is, or how to cook a gourmet dinner on a Swedish Army Trangia;)

Very well said Rik, a point I tried to make in another thread. People disagree it is part of life - doesnt mean I want to come round and burn your house down - but equally I find all this 'we are all friends on here' equally stupid as most of us have never met and probably never will. I cant understand why people overeact and get so wound up over stuff that gets said on here, using terms such as 'scraps' to refer to disagreements with other members for example. It isnt the real world just a bit of fun in your spare time is all ;)

You say "If you don't like the subject, don't react to it,,,,,,,, simple move on" I would counter that by saying "if people are reacting in a fashion that does not suit you or is causing hassle, perhaps its best to keep quiet and stop stoking the flames" and you move on. When you say that it comes across as 'its my way or the highway, like it or leave', sorry, the world is not like that.

This is the real world where people will bite back, you may not like it, but it can't always go your way, others have an opinion too

I disagree with just this one point.

I don't feel that it's "my way or the highway" when posting a thread. There was no problen with people disagreeing.

The problem began when people not only disagreed, but started huring insults at the people talking about the preparations they make. The problem isn't the disagreement, but the way in which it is done - particularly when they disagree with some ridicuous pastiche of the discussion - leading them to straw-man a sound idea and insult a load of people in the process.

I don't think any sensible person would post a thread on here and expect everyone to either stoke their ego or not comment, but those who do disagree should not be accusing those who agree of suffering from mental illness and so on.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
The problem can be that some people have their "bit of fun in their spare time" by provoking such disagreements whereas others come onto this forum to use it as I believe it was intended, as a social network and information resource for bushcrafters.

I think this whole thing has been a disappointing affair but I believe it was "provoked" rather than just being a natural disagreement.

Hopefully we can put all this behind us and get back to what this forum is good at.

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
The problem can be that some people have their "bit of fun in their spare time" by provoking such disagreements whereas others come onto this forum to use it as I believe it was intended, as a social network and information resource for bushcrafters.

I think this whole thing has been a disappointing affair but I believe it was "provoked" rather than just being a natural disagreement.

Hopefully we can put all this behind us and get back to what this forum is good at.

I think youv'e hit the nail on the head there Gary:)

Bernie

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I disagree with just this one point.

I don't feel that it's "my way or the highway" when posting a thread. There was no problen with people disagreeing.

The problem began when people not only disagreed, but started huring insults at the people talking about the preparations they make. The problem isn't the disagreement, but the way in which it is done - particularly when they disagree with some ridicuous pastiche of the discussion - leading them to straw-man a sound idea and insult a load of people in the process.

I don't think any sensible person would post a thread on here and expect everyone to either stoke their ego or not comment, but those who do disagree should not be accusing those who agree of suffering from mental illness and so on.

No offence BigShot, the mental illness thing that was banded around, for crying out loud, type in the word 'Bonkers' on google, see what you come up with,:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: T'was no big deal in reality, but was a suitable tool for some to use in argument

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...

It wasn't provoked Gary, It was from the heart.. I feel that nothing has been resolved so I bid you guys goodbye.... I have very much enjoyed using this site and I have met some good mate mates through it, but it is time for me to move on.. I shall be on Bushcraft living if anyone wants me...
Thank you Tony for a great site, your a star sir..... I shall miss it... Jon Pickett...

I wasn't offended - the only thing that annoyed me about it all was the fact that people had set out with the sole goal of making "noise" in the thread, hijacking it and trying to "shoot it down like a dying Messerscmitt" while arguing purely to get it locked.

It was other people who were offended by the bandying about of phrases suggesting mental illness.

I find it incredibly childish that some people simply can not resist sticking their oar in and acting in a downright immature manner simply because they see a thread they don't like. To call it infantile would be an insult to 1 year olds.

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border

Does this mean that were not cyber google friends Gary then lol I had better send that inflatable longboat I bought you for Christmas back:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE