Why use a ridgeline on your tarp ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Topcat02

Settler
Aug 9, 2005
Dymock, Gloucestershire
Hi all,

I'm not an expert with tarps, but the ones I have seem as though the end loops are considerably longer than the middle ones.

What I sometimes do if I cant find suitable trees, is to saw/cut poles to length, (with a Y shape at the top), insert one in either end of the tarp loops, pull to a reasonable tightness and then hammer the poles into the ground.

For a bit more rigidity I often place a crossmember through the three middle loops on the pole. This rests on the "Y" of each upright.

Unfortunately I havent got any pics. But this setup obviates the need for a bag full of bungees and ropes. You just need a few to peg out the respective corners.

Comeon Bam, lets see some arguing! :)

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
zambezi said:
Hey Bam

Is that a New Year's resolution mate? :lmao:

Vince

Hi Mate, looking forward to seeing you and Tina at the end of next month :)

It's a half resolution....lol...I'm going to try my hardest not to argue or upset anyone this year ;) :p

Topcat02 said:
Come on Bam, lets see some arguing! :)

Nope :p This year I am mostly being a good boy! lol :lmao:

Bam. :D

zambezi

Aug 24, 2004
DEVON
Topcat02 said:
Come on Bam, lets see some arguing! :)

Maybe this will help......

Bungee cord injuries happen often enough to warrant separate consideration by some insurers.

I am not sure whether I would want to risk an eye injury ;) whilst camped in the middle of nowhere.....ridge-ropes rule :D

Vince

PS See you end of the month Phil :D

Phil562

Settler
Jul 15, 2005
Middlesbrough
bambodoggy said:
Hi Mate, looking forward to seeing you and Tina at the end of next month :)

It's a half resolution....lol...I'm going to try my hardest not to argue or upset anyone this year ;) :p

Nope :p This year I am mostly being a good boy! lol :lmao:

Bam. :D

DOH, I can feel a challenge coming on - I'll have to open a book on this ;)

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
Staffordshire, Cannock Chase
its all personal choice and anything goes. Sometimes i use a ridgeline, sometimes i don’t. Sometimes I want a a single angle shelter, other times i was two or more which is where the ridgeline comes into use.

Personally i do not like bungees, granted cord (or a hoochie) isn’t exactly laid plant fiber based on primitive patterns, but i just think bungees are tacky and too overtly modern camper for my liking. (emphasise again before millions of messages fly my way...my personal opinion :) )

PatrickM

Nomad
Sep 7, 2005
Glasgow
www.backwoodsurvival.co.uk
Both cord and bungees have advantages and disadvantages - I will use either one when the occasion merits. I always carry bungees in my kit wherever I go as I find them incredibly useful.
Tacky and overtly modern??? I was using bungees with my poncho twenty years ago...!

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
Golden shovel for me but I'm switching from dd tarp on to a nice and shiny silnylon 3,6x3 tarp (also started hammocking this summer) which pushed me towards rethinking my setup, including ridgeline.
I want to ditch the paracord and considering a purchase of 2mm dynema static cord. For my guy lines I'm using 1mm allcord accessory cord and it works great because it's stretchy. So far I have used the tarp as A frame, A frame over a hammock, one big square lean to style between 4 trees, extra porch for a small tent.
The tarp I'm buying only have one loop in the middle so hanging it under a ridgeline won't be as effective as my previous DD, also I'm a bit concern about the friction if I run the ridgeline under the tarp. So the option of replacing the ridgeline with two tieouts (either bungee or static rope) looks good to me, at least in theory... Also adding two mini clips would work as a drip stop and would be a perfect tie in point for the net of my travel hammock. Silnylon suppose to be a bit stretchy anyway and internet says that it sags with the fixed ridgeline...

Help me before I overheat :)

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I dont use bunges at all... Just learn to tie knots... Ridge line takes up less space... It less dangerous.... Cheaper in the long run...as bungies break, ends come of.. Seen plenty get caterpulted across the camp site and hit people..

To many people thing they are a great way of tieing things down safely....

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
For me it's not about bungee vs static cord, but ridgeline vs piece of cord on each side of the tarp to the tree.
I have to agree with one of the guys above that when you tension the tarp with prussics hanging under a ridgeline, the seam takes the strain and the loops start to float not taking much weight....

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I like having the full ridge line as others have probably mentioned you get hanging space under the tarp.

I have seperate internal ridge line, and use an external ridge line for my tarps, i as i have found in really fowl weather water can run down the ridge line and drip inside, if the ridge line is run externally... I also have a ridge line storage thingy

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
For me it's not about bungee vs static cord, but ridgeline vs piece of cord on each side of the tarp to the tree.
I have to agree with one of the guys above that when you tension the tarp with prussics hanging under a ridgeline, the seam takes the strain and the loops start to float not taking much weight....

This is because most manufacturers make the loops the same length. I make the loops different lengths-shortest in the centre, longer adjacent and even longer prussic lines-it allows the ridgeline to curve whilst keeping the ridge-seam straight.

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
I have seperate internal ridge line, and use an external ridge line for my tarps, i as i have found in really fowl weather water can run down the ridge line and drip inside, if the ridge line is run externally... I also have a ridge line storage thingy

Fair point and a good idea, I've been a bit of a fair weather softy but I've always put a drip point on the ridge line.

bilmo-p5

Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
This is because most manufacturers make the loops the same length. I make the loops different lengths-shortest in the centre, longer adjacent and even longer prussic lines-it allows the ridgeline to curve whilst keeping the ridge-seam straight.

Good info, Pete, thank you. As someone who hardly ever uses a ridgeline, I never considered that. Will modify my building practices.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Ive been using the roof style shape on and off since 1985 with bungees and enjoy this way of camping. Only using other style when necessary.

Dave-the-rave

Settler
Feb 14, 2013
minsk
See all you ex Army guys do it the simple way cos it works. I do it the simple way too have done all my life, and never saw or heard about a ridge line until I came onto this forum this year.

That said I've seen some seriously light weight therefore fragile looking tarps recently so no surprise the users are concerned about tearing them. I can see how a ridge line might be helpful for some of the bigger tarps though. For small one man tarps they might be preferable but they aren't necessary. Not if the tarp is a good build quality.

There's no need to reduce any and all sag by using enough tension which might cause damage. A tarp doesn't need to be stupid taught all round to function properly. I've seen some set up with more tie offs and guy lines than a tent.

To me a tarp is a cheap easy and functional shelter that doesn't need to get complicated.

Not that I'm trying to start an argument either. Peace out. :surrender:

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
That's where I'm heading with my thoughts.
1st, you need a ridge line only in A frame setup (and maybe a diamond), anything else is guy lines and pegs.
2nd, if you make it really tight with prussik knots the seam takes most of the load anyway, to the point where I started using a second ridgeline to pickup a slack from the hanging loops:

dwfndi.jpg

3rd, from my experience if the wind is that strong that you need to support the ridge to prevent the tarp from caving in, than you need a different/lower setup.
4th, I think I rather have pegs and more guy lines (that can be joined for a ridgeline if needed), than less guy lines and ridgeline.
5th, tree - cord - clip - TARP - clip - cord - tree seems as 100% way of avoiding rain water entering the tarp, you could even use one of the guy lines attached to those clips as a hanging string under a tarp.

Ridgeline does work, but the latter idea is really growing on me :)

Last edited:

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Good info, Pete, thank you. As someone who hardly ever uses a ridgeline, I never considered that. Will modify my building practices.

I usually use a suspended ridgeline as my tarps are PU coated liightweight jobs, the cord would have rubbed the coating off if run over the lines. Tieing a little prussic around the centre tie out makes it adjustable for differing sag too.

It's effectively a free cat cut ridge without any of the cutting and marking pains. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE