Why does the smoke always follow me!?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
When i sit next to a camp fire the smoke changes direction and goes directly towards where i am sitting. If i get up and change position the smoke will follow me again and it always seems to be traveling towards my face:lmao: It can get quite irritating having to move all the time and the smoke gets in my eyes...

Why is this! does anyone else have this troubble? or is it just bad luck for me...hehe

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Perhaps you're not sacrificing to the right gods.
11035.gif

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I had a lady on a course last year who believed that the smoke would pick on one person around hte fire each night. So she had a small rag doll called Smokey. She would put smokey on the seat where teh offending smoke had driven a person from; the smoke then followed the doll instead of us :)

Didn't blooming work while I was there though :rolleyes:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Shout "rabbits!" at the fire and the smoke changes direction....try it!

I can just see it at the next meet John, a load of six foot burly blokes dressed in green doing a united frog call round the fire.

And Eric thought he had problems ....

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Most people, i find, from experience sit with the wind to their backs and the fire in front of them. The wind when it hits your back splits around you and creates eddys which swirl the smoke back towards you( like a rock in a river for example). There is no way to completely avoid this if its a little windy. Just try avoid being directly between wind and fire and keep your profile a low as you can

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
It could be a number of reasons:
You carve wood so the spirits of wood offended that you aren't carving them, want revenge when you put them on the fire.
The fire spirit hates you.
The universe hates you.
Nothing hates you're lovely, but someone has to be the smoke victim.

You could try burning de-barked dry wood, or bringing a pair of safety googles and particle mask.

Drongo

Aug 19, 2008
Lisburn
You need a smoke twister...

We've had several in our Scout Troop for as long as I can remember...

They work a treat....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE