Why do we like knives?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
What is is about knives that we like so much? :?: :-D :-D

This has been on my mind for a long time and I'm coming to the conclusion that it linked to our primitive mind, back to the days when a good stone axe or flint blade made a big difference to whether we lived or dies.

That's my idea ... what do you think? :?:

faca

Forager
Dec 10, 2003
SPAIN
Hello If you go to outdoors or survival forums and check the amount of threats under "edge tools" you see that is the higher, why?.
We like edge tools, for me is my hobby why? :roll: ????.
I feel more wild prepared as animals have thear claws I get mine and my brain sometimes :wink: .
It´s curious how all civilizations had tried to rise their oportunities of survival and a edge tool is a must.
Enjoy.
You know when I hand a knife I feel something........... :lol: I feel well and happy.

giancarlo

Oct 5, 2003
Jersey, Channel Islands
check the amount of threats under "edge tools" you see that is the higher

You said it Faca :)
Think you all are a threat, you crazy knife wielding psycho's

I aint really much of a knife nut, fair enough we all need one and it is our most important piece of kit. but we can have too much about it, no?

:)

Cheers
Carlo

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I think it dates back to the caves. Fire, knives and even sticks give us a big sense of security. I think it is more so for men, as it was most probably them doing the hunting.
A fire means survival, a knife means food (and survival) and a stick means security!

Jake

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
As the saying goes - your knife is your life - that should be reason enough to like them. :shock:

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
Men, All men like Power and a feeling of secrity, a knife give us a sense, all be it a false one much of the time of power and security

In much the same way that a fire makes us feel safe and secure

how many of us have felt all powerful when we made our first fire by friction, and felt like running around beating our chests screaming "I MAKE FIRE!"? more than i think care to admit it :wink:

there is of course a reason why we are attracted to these things, they are of the up most importance to our survival

even when we have forgotten how to use them for genarations, we are still attracted to them

How many of us still have our hoarding instinct and keep everything because "it might be useful"?

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Spot on Stuart!

Stuart said:
Men, All men like Power and a feeling of secrity, a knife give us a sense, all be it a false one much of the time of power and security

In much the same way that a fire makes us feel safe and secure

how many of us have felt all powerful when we made our first fire by friction, and felt like running around beating our chests screaming "I MAKE FIRE!"? more than i think care to admit it :wink:

there is of course a reason why we are attracted to these things, they are off the up most importance to our survival

even when we have forgotten how to use them for genarations, we are still attracted to them

How many of us still have our hoarding instinct and keep everything because "it might be useful"?

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
Stuart said:

Oh, I do that every time I flick a Bic, let alone friction. For some reason, my wife feels it is important to keep these things out of my reach :D

Guilty... Except I reclassify them as "engineering materials" and "essential stock". I have a dead microwave that is due to be stripped down for the stainless steel sheet on it, and the transformer inside it. My new workbench consists in part of an old wardrobe - at least I do use the stuff! Any time I buy anything that has spares available, I'll almost always buy some of the spares at the same time.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
Adi007 said:
What is is about knives that we like so much? :?: :-D :-D

uh, coz they're shiny? :lol:

perhaps it's all the things you can do with one. perhaps it's the quest for the "one knife". perhaps it's sort of the realisation that even though they're all very similar, (a fat end that goes in your hand, and a thin pointy end that goes toward stuff being cut) they are all very subtley different.

then there's the quest for a knife so sharp it could split the atom. then there's the quest for a knife so sharp it could split the atom, and that stays really sharp even when you've split quite alot of atoms already that day :shock: :-D

cheers, and.

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Wouldn't you think that occasionally one of us would accidentaly manage to split an atom while trying to cut someting else? :-?

Dave

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Yeh I was just slicing off a bit of cheese and kaboom, mushroom cloud and meltdown! Now that would be one sharp knife. Fantastic idea the "Atom pukko" and they'd be affordable :wink:
No wonder they couldn't find any weapons of mass destruction. They never checked the cutlery draw! and only 45 minutes to get it sharp enough. :rolmao: :rolmao: :rolmao:
Rich

TAHAWK

Nomad
Jan 9, 2004
Ohio, U.S.A.
MartiniDave said:
Wouldn't you think that occasionally one of us would accidentaly manage to split an atom while trying to cut someting else? :-?

Dave

Some SF stories include a "mono-molecular" knife edge that glides through any substance. Not quite the "atom-splitter" but close. :)

Trond

Jan 7, 2004
Norway
www.kniv.net
There is a simular thread at BB where i posted a bit unseriusely ablut the topic.

however i think i have a litle different viev on this one than most others. I carry a knife every day, one for work, and one for my off time. And i like them both, my work knife is a stick tang shaped like a fuller, cant explain what i mean, but it looks like a fuller, that knife has a SS damascus blade, and is almoust allways blunt :roll: cause i use/abuse it for everything, with no limitations. My other knife is a beautiful litle knife with a carved handle, with silver pommels both on knife and sheath, threee layer scandi blade, this one is allways razor sharp, are only used to open coffe bags and so on. I like my two knives, but i dont REALLY like them if you know what i mean.
Il try to explain.
I like knife design, and i can see a knife one day and almoust not sleep the two nights after i have seene them, cause i think of them all the time, it is a litle like falling in love. However like when you fall in love it passes. That is why when i make a knife my mind have to finnish with it before i sell it, this might take two days or two weeks, but once this periode is over, i am finnished with that knife, and ready to moove on.
This can happen with a knife I have made, or with a knife that someone else have made. However i have up til now never fallen in love with a production knife, the closest i have beene is when i first spotted the Woodlore, but there was this thing with the shaft shape that i did not like, it was a litle too much like a citchen knife handle if you know what i mean.

So if anyone bother to read all this s**t from the noggin with the catepilar, THANKS FOR YOUR TIME :-D

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
very interesting ... thanks for posting your thoughts!

Trond said:
So if anyone bother to read all this s**t from the noggin with the catepilar, THANKS FOR YOUR TIME :-D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE