Why did I buy a 246 Tilley?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dirty

Forager
Jun 21, 2012
Cornwall
So I was in the second hand shop and I saw it for £12. No mantle, but good condition glass. I’ve read all the comments on here, but it just said to me - go on, see if you can me to work again.
Cleaned up, mantle replaced its working but low on pressure so it'll be the washer kit next, and hopefully not a vaporizer.
I haven’t got a problem with fixing it, its going to be bit by bit to get it as bright as I can, but I wonder why I’m attracted to anything that is
a) Second Hand
b) Not really working
c) Mechanical
d) Bit old (1974)
e) And shiny!
I know that I can get more money for it in bits on eBay, and that it’ll cost me in time and money to get it up and running (No, it has, with the pre lighter and the mantles, luckily I had some paraffin for a rainy day.)
Do I need therapy for this obsession, or is it providing the therapy with the amount of love and attention its going to need?
It will be the brightest Tilley in Cornwall, even if I have to change the fuel tank, lid, vaporizer glass and handle.
PS its bottoms fine thanks.

Ha ha I know what you mean.
tilley_zps25b571aa.jpg

keithg

Jun 27, 2007
Aldridge, West Midlands
Hey - as someone born before 1960, I don't class 1974 as a 'bit old'! :). And you do realise that this lamp will soon need another one to keep it company? You'll buy it for spares of course, but then think that 'it's too good not to save' ........... :).

If you need any guidance / advice /spare parts, have a look at 'www.classicpressurelamps.com' - there's a load of information on there, and people who supply parts for fettling.

And then there's stoves of course ......

Fellow Addict

Dirty

Forager
Jun 21, 2012
Cornwall
I suppose its all relative, I was born in 74.
I think Im trying cold turkey, there were 2 tilleys in a tool shop today, and I let them go till I have fixed this one up.
Not saying im cured, I still left with 2 axes, one an Elwell.

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Bother you guys! You've set me and Hubby off again on our Tilley lamp fettish-hunt, we want one (them) for the house not camping, and thanks Rik, we are buying the cheap ones to "tide us over" :banghead:. As folk who were born in pre-Ark times (before 1950 !!!) we grew up with the things and loved it. He'll be on evil bay again looking if I tell him about this post ... thinks ... do I need to duct-tape my mouth ???

Dirty

Forager
Jun 21, 2012
Cornwall
Here’s an update, of the life and times of my Tilley lamp. - Part one.
Regrettably not many photos of the beginning since it was lots of simple steps. I started with a clean of everything and left it in the garage. Read up about pre-starters and ordered one (March) also ordered 2 happy mantles.
Lamp comes out of the garage get a clean up, goes back in the garage.
Mantle arrives.
Pre lighter arrives from Ebay. This costs as much as the lamp.
I break both mantles - must read instructions before next time
Ordered 4 nonradioactive mantles from base camp. (I just don’t like the radioactive ones, I’m sure that it'll affect me when I’m 110)
Put all together, set up and it lights, but only lasts half an hour on a few pumps. (now following instructions from Basecamp religiously.)
Goes back in garage. Waits for that rainy day

Dirty

Forager
Jun 21, 2012
Cornwall
Next order was for SP1 kit. Again nearly as much as the lamp.
So I decided to take it apart.
Its my lamp, and its worth it in entertainment, If I break it I’ll get another one sometime and try again (and I’ve always got parts.)
I can release the lid with the mantle attached (should I be able to? I put it on there!)
I started with the vaporiser tube. Part of my rules were if it was too trickey I wouldn’t go there, but any seals I could replace I did. Eventually this unscrewed with some assistance, but the tank collar didn’t move. ( So I left it)
I then separated the control cock, lined it up with the drawing and cleaned it all up with WD40. Since I had a spare nut I took the old one off to clean all the gubbins out and check the spring, and change the washer. Since the fiddly do- dah behind the spring didn’t want to go back to the Knob, I had to put the new knob on as well. Do –dah liked the new knob.
photo (29).jpg
photo (31).jpg
This is do dah. I dont know why he didnt like the old knob
I cleaned out the vaporiser again with WD40 (lots of spray) and then gave the pump another clear out since I was there. Leather pump soaked in olive oil again, and then retightened, since it was able to swivel around the base. New seals put where they were old, following the SP1 sheet.
photo (28).jpg
Crud from the pump washer on the second soaking of olive oil.
So most of the seals replaced, and parts all given an good clean out with WD40. Wait for the next episode for the grand lighting.
photo (32).jpg
Incidentally these are my threads, are they suposed to have the gap at the bottom of them?

Last edited:

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I suppose its all relative, I was born in 74.
I think Im trying cold turkey, there were 2 tilleys in a tool shop today, and I let them go till I have fixed this one up.
Not saying im cured, I still left with 2 axes, one an Elwell.

Nowt wrong with you mate its a man thing all thing trying to do things up, on of the things that makes us tick, my fetish... well if you can call it that at the mo is Old axes.... :).... oh and like you other things as well, I just did not want to sound tooo mad.. lol

Dirty

Forager
Jun 21, 2012
Cornwall
Now the lighting. My neighbour has never commented on me lighting lamps in the daylight.
So I gave it a warm up with the prelighter, and then another just to be sure. Regrettably I couldn’t light it before the meths ran out (something about a cup of tea, and leaving it for a good length of time, so I lit the meths for a third time so the mantle would catch. Pumped a few times and then turned on the lamp. It went funny colours and then smelt funny. Hmm Tried to remove the prelighter, it was too hot. Hmm. Smoke now coming from the top of the burner, and then flames.
Since they were only little ones, and the meths was well away from the lantern I decided to have some more tea. Once I had half a cup the flames were out, and the mantle was back to white. Well most of it was, a little bit was missing. I decided, since it was burning appropriately I would leave it to burn for 30mins and see if it would clear any more crud out of the vaporiser. This seems to have worked, though it’s not as bright as it could be. (probably due to mantle damage.)
I’ve since cleaned the top (air intake?) and put a new mantle on. I recon it’ll burn lovely this time.
Comments
I’ve had a great time fiddling, and its been well worth the £10 just on the playing with dirty things. Fire and burny liquids is just an advantage. For entertainment value its fun. I thought about buying a working Coleman from the shops, but where’s the fun in that?
So – questions
Do you think it was just the WD40 that did this? The mantle was already burned in?
My kerosene is over 10 yrs old. ( That’s from my container, I got rid of the stuff from the lantern) Does this go off as well?
Do I need to put some carb cleaner in, and if so can someone recommend me a make?
Or shall I just let this one be, if the new mantle burns in well.

Dirty

Forager
Jun 21, 2012
Cornwall
The new mantle is in, it might even get a burning today...

Apparently ones a hobby, its only OCD if I have 37.

Next instalment in a few months time.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Where is the best place to get mantles for a tilley, found mine in one of the shed the other day and it needs a new one.

Cheers

Chris

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
Paraffin stays stable(ish) for up to 10 years so you are right on your limit with what you have got. You might be best to nip to B&Q (one of the few places that still stocks it) and get some fresh stuff. You won't like the price though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE