Why aren't John and Geri McPherson given more credit?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
I have several of their books and have practiced many of the skills they live and promote. Again they are not mainstream nor TV stars so most people have never heard of them. Only very interested or dedicated students of primitive living skills would search out their writings.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
stirthepot.gif

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Well, I wouldn't think to call myself that, my wilderness is the upper Clyde valley :rolleyes: , but I do have their book, and it's very, very good :D

cheers,
Toddy

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I picked up a copy of Primitive Wilderness Skills A&A at a booksale a few years ago, read it once then leant it to a friend and haven`t seen it (or him) since.

A good read though frm what I can remember.

Rich

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Never heard of them, and don't know what the controversy is about, and whether or not the people who say they are good have their tongue in their cheek??

so,.........are their books worth getting or not????, and what exactly is the controversy concerning them????

Stu.

Who said there's a controversey? This thread is just to let people know that "bushcraft" is alive and well in the USA. If enough people get interested, pretty soon we can have threads on what kind of underwear John and Geri are wearing. ;)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Never heard of them, and don't know what the controversy is about, and whether or not the people who say they are good have their tongue in their cheek??

so,.........are their books worth getting or not????, and what exactly is the controversy concerning them????

Stu.

The book is well worth a read, several times actually :)
I think Hoodoo was just gently pointing out that there are rather a lot of people out there who are worthy of attention, of being given credit for their work and influence.

Another thread on this sort of topic became a touch heated.

cheers,
Toddy

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
Well I'm going to show my ignorance here,And say I haven't heard of them,But as I started the last ''why ar'nt they'' thread I will do some research on them.

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
I've hopefully got the latest version of their book, amongst about 10 other bushcraft related ones, coming for my birthday. Only 16 days to go!

Templar

Forager
Mar 14, 2006
Can Tho, Vietnam (Australian)
Read them, found them pretty good for the primitive living info they have... cant comment more because I only got them about a month before I left for China (still here), but from what I do rememder they were pretty good...

Cheers... Karl

Mr Cake

Forager
Jun 20, 2005
my house
In answer to the original question: it's for the same reasons that Ron Hood (and no doubt other equally competent people) aren't well known in the UK - they don't get much exposure so we're largely stuck with RM and BG who do get lots of airtime. It's a shame but then competence/talent has never been a reliable guide to the amount of public recognition a person gets.

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
Theres lots and lots of good info in the two books from them I own. Not the most computer literated or marketing oriented - but they are serious about primitive skills

-Emile

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE