Why are polls only availible to full members?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

unorthadox

Forager
Jan 14, 2011
Newcastle
Hi, i was wondering why creating polls are only availible to full members, there have been a few times i would like to create a poll.

I can understand some features such as the rights to trade requireing a membership but im not sure why a poll would need one

unorthadox

Forager
Jan 14, 2011
Newcastle
Think its to stop random spam, not saying you would but you do get accounts that join and create large amounts of spam until they are banned.

I may be completely off the mark its just a wild guess.
I dont think that wud be the case, from what ive herd you need to make 8 thread replies or sumthing before you can send PMs, they wud probly use a similar approach to polls

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Its cos if you ain't prepared to support the site, your opinion doesn't count.

At least thats what everyone says when they ignore me.:sadwavey:

unorthadox

Forager
Jan 14, 2011
Newcastle
Its cos if you ain't prepared to support the site, your opinion doesn't count.

At least thats what everyone says when they ignore me.:sadwavey:

There are more ways to support the site than just through finance. We can still vote in polls so actually it's quite the opposite, our opinion does count.
I'm sure there will be a legitimate reason behind the scenes, I just want to know what it is :dunno:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Spam.
We get hit every so often and it's a pain to deal with.

Polls that aren't set up properly are another pain; i.e. have an end time built in :rolleyes: get your spelling correct in the title, sort out the questions in a balanced way rather than with built in bias.

It's one of the permissions of established folks, with a good sense of the tone of the forum. Too many polls, all asking the same question, have folks looking for the, "Do a Search!" button, in sheer frustration.

Very few people pay up for Full Membership right off, and that gives them a chance to settle in, so to speak. Not everyone takes on board that the forum guidelines clearly ask for family friendly posts, and no political or religious discussion. Those topics are as bad as spam to deal with :sigh:

And after all that, for which topics did you wish to set up a poll ? Was there a specific question you wished answered ?

cheers,
Toddy

unorthadox

Forager
Jan 14, 2011
Newcastle
Spam.
We get hit every so often and it's a pain to deal with.

Polls that aren't set up properly are another pain; i.e. have an end time built in :rolleyes: get your spelling correct in the title, sort out the questions in a balanced way rather than with built in bias.

It's one of the permissions of established folks, with a good sense of the tone of the forum. Too many polls, all asking the same question, have folks looking for the, "Do a Search!" button, in sheer frustration.

Very few people pay up for Full Membership right off, and that gives them a chance to settle in, so to speak. Not everyone takes on board that the forum guidelines clearly ask for family friendly posts, and no political or religious discussion. Those topics are as bad as spam to deal with :sigh:

And after all that, for which topics did you wish to set up a poll ? Was there a specific question you wished answered ?

cheers,
Toddy
There have been no major occasions, the most recent occasion I can remember wanting to set up a poll was to get a vote on what people want as a group buy and a list of popular products as options; crusader cups, mora knives, laplander etc.

I thought a poll like this would be good to try and establish group buys in the future that are likely to have high numbers.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ah, then might I draw your attention to these ? :)

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/poll.php?pollid=292&do=showresults

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58515&daysprune=365

and fifty group buys alone this past year
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37&pp=20&sort=lastpost&order=desc&daysprune=365

Not trying to be discouraging, but we do get thoroughly fed up of polls at times. They aren't the only way to canvas opinion, and unless well thought out they can really just be too biased.

cheers,
Toddy

unorthadox

Forager
Jan 14, 2011
Newcastle
Ah, then might I draw your attention to these ? :)

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/poll.php?pollid=292&do=showresults

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58515&daysprune=365

and fifty group buys alone this past year
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37&pp=20&sort=lastpost&order=desc&daysprune=365

Not trying to be discouraging, but we do get thoroughly fed up of polls at times. They aren't the only way to canvas opinion, and unless well thought out they can really just be too biased.

cheers,
Toddy

Thanks for the links :)

I can see the dialemna, I just like the idea of polls cos of my preference to mathmatical subjects and to help keep the replies on topic, threads seem to often go off on a tangent for a good few dozen posts :D

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Just to add to this, when an individual creates a poll he/she just worries about that one, with no control we end up dealing with loads of them running at the same time and you've got the situation that Toddy describes above which at times has been a nightmare. It used to be that everyone could create polls but we changed it.

Not sure if bushwacker bb is being serious or not but I hope that just polls are not a reflection of ones ability to express an opinion?

It's easier to justify the time involved having just the FM's being able to use Polls or have a number of other benefits as FM's as they do help support the site, the time and resources used to support a site like this as fairly substantial and so there's a natural inclination to think consider them and allow them to do more.

unorthadox

Forager
Jan 14, 2011
Newcastle
Just to add to this, when an individual creates a poll he/she just worries about that one, with no control we end up dealing with loads of them running at the same time and you've got the situation that Toddy describes above which at times has been a nightmare. It used to be that everyone could create polls but we changed it.

Not sure if bushwacker bb is being serious or not but I hope that just polls are not a reflection of ones ability to express an opinion?

It's easier to justify the time involved having just the FM's being able to use Polls or have a number of other benefits as FM's as they do help support the site, the time and resources used to support a site like this as fairly substantial and so there's a natural inclination to think consider them and allow them to do more.

Well put, I think ill have to start saving up for the FM :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Thanks for the links :)

I can see the dialemna, I just like the idea of polls cos of my preference to mathmatical subjects and to help keep the replies on topic, threads seem to often go off on a tangent for a good few dozen posts :D

Polls are never inclusive enough, you can never please everyone so most of the times polls are junk really and never a true reflection, often just a poor indicator.

Stick to questions and cherry pick the data you need.

unorthadox

Forager
Jan 14, 2011
Newcastle
Polls are never inclusive enough, you can never please everyone so most of the times polls are junk really and never a true reflection, often just a poor indicator.

Stick to questions and cherry pick the data you need.

Thats the beauty of the 'other' or 'NA' option.. and hte thread comments :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE