Whoopie strings

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

v8mule

Tenderfoot
Oct 3, 2012
wigan
Well had a go at makeing my own whoopie strings out of 6mm Dyneema it has a breaking point of 1280kg.
I made them 6' with a 4'6" adjusterble loop so that gives me a 9' adjustment overall.
I tested them by fixing one end to a tree the other to the 9500lb warn winch on my landy and winch in with the brakes on the 90 moved without the whoopie breaking so should hold me in my hammock :))
My next project is to build a treeless hammock rig :)

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Hi v8Mule,

Are you the V8mule off landyzone?

A tree less rig should be no problem off a LAndy you got plenty of options

1 Roof Rack with out riggers
2 Front Bumber with a tripod
3 Rear Cross Member with tripod
4 if your like to sling low, have a lift, and Rock Sliders come off them with a tripod...

Have fun, and enjoy

Well had a go at makeing my own whoopie strings out of 6mm Dyneema

What Dyneema cord did you use? I've been looking at making some up, but the price of the amsteel makes it just as viable to purchase a premade kit.

Trying to find an equivalent UK manufactured cord (or easy to come by in the UK) hasn't been to sucessfull for me.

Thanks
Mark

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
What Dyneema cord did you use? I've been looking at making some up, but the price of the amsteel makes it just as viable to purchase a premade kit.

If you really want to make Whoopie Slings all you need is 2.5mm, and that should hold 150KG, and that's 23.6 Stone. Try a local chandlers or ebay, I know when I looked at making mine a local boat maker said he could beat any price on the internet for a length if i paid cash. I just had to spend the money getting to him.

By the time I had looked at it £12 pre made from DD Hammocks, for the Slings was not worth my hassle making them, OK it would have meant I made them - whoopie do.

I then needed an other pair of Krabs and an other pair of Tree Huggers, as my lad was starting to use my other hammock, by the time i had spent the money on the Krabs, then the Webbing, then the Amsteel and spent an Hour or so making them I plumbed for the easy route... DD Hammocks £28 all in in P&P, job done..

Thats exactly my original thoughts BigStu, but....

If I do away with the Krabs and thread straight through the Hammock thats a few quid saved.
Then for the tree huggers I was contemplating a couple of old seat belts.
If it seems ok, I would only then need the cord for the Whoopie Slings

Mark

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
That's very true some do get rid of the Krabs, I like them though, it give me the reqiure drip feature that i like, yes this can be done with a few bits of cord hanging down or using one of the other methods.

Seat belts would make some nice Tree huggers.

v8mule

Tenderfoot
Oct 3, 2012
wigan
I only used 6mm coz some left over from some rigging I did.
4mm D12 (490kg=78 stone ish) Dyneema is about £1.50 per meter.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE