"Who Goes You Decide"

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Right then! Just returned from the new site, and had a good old wander around .It's going to be great! Not as rough and ready as we are all used to, but hey! why not a spot of luxury once in a while? Convenient close safe parking, proper composting toilet cubicles, already erected parachutes,use of a fully equipped field kitchen area, loads of free dry firewood to hand, two established fire/cooking pits with lots of rustic seating, plenty of space to hang or ground dwell, options of 4 tentipis already erected with wooden floors(£2.50 per night extra)

All for £15.00 per person for the weekend, children under 12 free, dogs welcome free.

Beautiful peaceful location, right on the edge of Dartmoor National Park.

Then the options of, canoes in the lake, air rifle and pistol range(bring your own if you like) Field and target archery(bring your own bow if you want) 50ft outdoor climbing wall, assault course, zip wire,team building stuff, etc etc. (Not much of that for me!) Extra cost for these activities of course.

1 mile walk to the local pub, 2 mile drive to local shops for supplies, plenty of coppiced hazel and sycamore which can be cut for carving, spoon blanks etc.

Exclusive use of the whole site just for us (no sharing!) No great list of rules (common sense ones only)

And if it's really unbearable,we can escape to the woods just a mile up the road!

Arrival anytime on the Friday, i will be there and depart about lunchtime on the Sunday, anyone thinking of coming earlier or staying later, not a problem, just let me know.

Postcode for site, and a bit more info.

TQ139LD

Or. www.essential-adventure.co.uk

Ivan...

Wild Thing

Native
Jan 2, 2009
Torquay, Devon
Hi Ivan

Just heard from the two extra guys I had planned on bringing and they can't make it, so it'll just be me and my son.

Looking forward to it.

Phill

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
My dear Steve, we have exclusive use of the whole site for the weekend, the chap who owns the place has been very amenable and will turn up on the Friday (for payment!) Find out if he is required to supervise any of the available activities for the Saturday , for those that wish, other than that we will be left to our own devices.

It is a little different to what we are used to , but everything is on hand to make our camp a lot easier than usual, and it is in a beautiful setting , as i said if it is that unbearable we have the option of moving camp to where we were for the Fungi forage meet (less than a mile away!)

I personally think we will be fine, and am looking forward to decent toilet facilities, a field kitchen, already erected parachutes, great big fire pits,copious amounts of firewood within a few yards, already erected tentipis etc etc , and with the option of having a go at some of the things available (maybe going soft in my old age! I don't think so)

But centreparcs or butlins it certainly ain't!

Hope this put your mind at rest.

Ivan...

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Very good indeed! I am awaiting a response re fishing as the lakes are stocked with carp, so with a bit of luck we may get the green light for those wishing a few hours relaxation.

The owner has been brilliant, as he normally has organised groups and charges £50.00 per day, so i think we have a good deal, and hopefully it will be a site that we can use, whenever we feel the need for glamping, especially in the winter months.

The site covers 20 acres in total,with loads of lovely walks etc, i am also in talks with the local farmer, re a bit of lamping and shooting (air rifles currently) As i actually worked for the place after school and before college 36 years ago! In the professional capacity of dishwasher/spud peeler/fire lighter/grass and hedge cutter etc etc.

And returned to work on the estate, properly some years later as a tree surgeon and dealt with the Oct 87 and Jan 90 devastation , photos available at the meet to proove it! Also had the privilege of performing tree surgery on the second largest cork oak in the country, as well as many other fine specimens.

So the place holds a special affinity with me.

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Morning! Just a little update, a few who cannot stay have asked if they can come for the day, which of course is no problem, whether its to get a feel for the place, meet others or join in with some of the activities, there will be no charge for day visitors, unless they get involved with said activities, and maybe a small consideration if they join in with the group catering.

Also could those wishing to use the tentipis, please let me know, one is booked so there are 3 available.

There will be a walk organised for those wishing to partake, a wander through a site we use quite a bit, leading to the Haytor Quarry along the granite railway.

One last thing for now, anyone wishing to come a day or two early or stay late, will have to use the other woods available to us (only a mile away)

Ivan...

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Hi Steve, the tentipis are set up in a sort of indian reservation style, they are situated on a level grassed area between the two available camping woods, about 100 metres from the main gathering/cooking area. You can probably make your mind up upon arrival, as most of the gang like to set up their own individual spots in the woods, i can reserve you one and if you feel it's too far, then it won't matter.(Oh yeah they all have wooden floors)

Hope the weather is kind, as we can build rafts and there are coracle type frames made from alkathene pipe! Could be a laugh.

A couple have asked about the catering arrangements, so i will answer here, what we normally do is, all chuck a fiver in the kitty which covers bacon,eggs,rolls etc and typical meals like hangi legs of lamb vegetables, chicken/beef casseroles, sometimes a pot of chilli, curry etc, but it's optional if you want to cater for yourselves no problem, nobody ever goes hungry!

Ivan...

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Hi Gang, last chance to get any concerns off your chest! The weather forecast is pretty good, although getting much colder at night, not that we care, having an Ivan fire!

Just a word of caution to those of you following satnav, right at the entrance to the site the stupid woman tries to get you to go down Chapple Road, (DONT!) its quite staightforward its a five crossways right outside The Edgemoor Hotel, just follow the sign to Colehayes Field Study Centre, its a private tarmac drive about a mile long, about 200 metres after you pass the lake on your left, you need to take the next right, just before the bridge,you will see where to park, you will see the parachutes and set up quite clearly.

Myself and Ickysticky, will be on site from about 9.00am and we will be there all day.

Safe journey, see you all on Friday!

Ivan...

Oh! not many have shown an interest in many of the activities, but kayaking on the lake,rifle and pistol shooting along with the archery are easily available for a small fee, to those interested.

Wild Thing

Native
Jan 2, 2009
Torquay, Devon
Hi Ivan.

Kieran and I will be there early afternoon, can you bring the bivvy bag for him, and I will bring some trade goods with us.

See you Friday

Phill

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
I am all set will fly into Newton Abbot International around 5-6 pm Friday. I expect a chaffeur dressed in green to collect me and my provisions from the VIP outfitters i.e a supermarket.Weather looks perfect
Here we go again

Wild Thing

Native
Jan 2, 2009
Torquay, Devon
Hi all.

Sorry we had to leave early, but thanks for the warm welcome. We left feeling we had known you all for a lot longer than a day.

Any way, a great time, even if there was ice on the barrels this morning. I found out why I was so cold last night, I made a rookie mistake and forgot to seal the valve on my inflatable mat, so I was sleeping on next to nothing below me. :eek:

Here's a few pics I snapped quickly today.

IMG_0228.jpg

IMG_0227.jpg

IMG_0226.jpg

IMG_0224.jpg

IMG_0223.jpg

IMG_0222.jpg

IMG_0221.jpg

IMG_0220.jpg

IMG_0219.jpg

Regards

Phill

Last edited:

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Yep Slightly different from the norm but plenty of entertainment along the way as usual
It was great to meet Phil and his son,and Katie the gangsters moll (not)
Thanks to Ivan for doing the leg work
Thanks to Green man private hire for the limo travel.
I seem to have brought back more food than I bought in Asda in Newton Armpit Don't tell Aaron or he will be up the motorway fork in hand
No beer left though!!
No sleep till Beaminster

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE