white bluebells

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Came home from a trip away last week and its amazing to see how much has changed in a week being away and it was really nice to see that the bluebells are out, came across this single patch of white blue bell in the woods today looking all lonesome. :D

2446142561_5d50180a29.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Bonnie things :D That photo looks so fresh. :cool:

Mine aren't out yet, just masses of leaves and tight budded stems. I've got pink ones too.
Mine set good seed and I need to redd out the beds so if anyone wants any seed or bulbs later on, maybe let me know ? Can't guarantee colour though, most probably blue.
Sorry to OT your thread Andy :eek:

cheers,
Toddy

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
Hi Andy,
We see occaisional white flowers too. I think it must either be a recessive gene that is not expressed very often or a single mutation that crops up every now and then.
Cheers,
Steve

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
Albino bluebells? The bluebells were out in numbers locally last week, this really is my favourite time of the year, I always prefer the fresh buds, new shoots, bright greens and colours of early summer over autumn, winter or spring. I've not seen a white one yet though, very unusual.

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Bonnie things :D That photo looks so fresh. :cool:

Mine aren't out yet, just masses of leaves and tight budded stems. I've got pink ones too.
Mine set good seed and I need to redd out the beds so if anyone wants any seed or bulbs later on, maybe let me know ? Can't guarantee colour though, most probably blue.
Sorry to OT your thread Andy :eek:

cheers,
Toddy

Great pic. I'm looking forward to seeing them out here where I live but I think it will be several weeks yet.:)

Toddy I would love some bulbs if you have some to spare. The trees in my garden are just ready for some under planting now.:D

Bobbin

Jan 20, 2007
England
Apparently....the true 'British' bluebell is the fragrant one with a one-sided flower stem that droops over at the tip. Alas, like the red squirrel, it too is becoming less common thanks to the Spanish bluebell with which it readily cross-breeds.

The main difference is that the Spanish variety has unscented flowers on both sides of an upright central spike....which unfortunately is what I've just discovered my garden bluebells are :sigh:

Still, what a wonderful sight seeing a carpet of blue under a woodland canopy :)

Bobbin

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Apparently....the true 'British' bluebell is the fragrant one with a one-sided flower stem that droops over at the tip. Alas, like the red squirrel, it too is becoming less common thanks to the Spanish bluebell with which it readily cross-breeds.

The main difference is that the Spanish variety has unscented flowers on both sides of an upright central spike....which unfortunately is what I've just discovered my garden bluebells are :sigh:

Still, what a wonderful sight seeing a carpet of blue under a woodland canopy :)

Bobbin

In Scotland the real Bluebell is what folks further South call the Harebell. The other one, the big beautiful multi flowered blue one (pink and white are just sports of the same plant). is usually a hybrid of the native and the Spanish ones, both European anyway.

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/nature-online/...-bluebells/bluebell-identification/index.html

The Natural History Museum would like help from folks to do a little recording, details on the site above.

cheers,
Toddy......off to have a wander among the bluebells :D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Himself has just checked and we've got native bluebells, h.non scripta, we call it the Wild Hyacinth, blooming just outside the back gate :D and a lot more that I supect are mainly hybrids about to bloom in the garden.

Might make more of an effort to encourage the natives.

cheers,
Toddy

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
arent the white ones a cultivated species? Pull them up, burn them!!

Be a little careful. There are white natives. Look closely and you can tell the difference already described.

The name Bluebell is given to the Harebell in Scotland but they are two different species as Toddy says 'cos they ain't got any proper Bluebells.

Bobbin

Jan 20, 2007
England
Andyn

Now that's just the view I had in mind. How nice...and blue :D

Toddy

Lucky you! If you do find that you end up with any spare seeds I'd be very interested in partaking of a few please to help reintroduce the native species back into a small garden in SE England. :)

Many thanks
Bobbin

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Happy to do so, but if they hybridise so readily I don't think I could guarantee that the seed would run true.
I have a small bed about 2m square that needs redd out this year because it's choked with bluebells, and the ones from the burnside have come under the fence and are coming up between the paving slabs between my greenhouse and one of the sheds. I'll go through the clumps when they bloom and mark any that look like the natives. If there's a fair amount I'll send some to Fred, who asked first, and then you're on the list. Even if it's just a few they ought to come away fine if kept moist.
I'm fond of them but to be quite honest they seed and spread prolifically. Almost as bad as the Birch, Ash and Sycamore.

cheers,
Toddy

Bobbin

Jan 20, 2007
England
Thanks Toddy, that would be great.

As for breeding true...well there's a nice little horticultural teaser to keep me occupied over the winter months ;)

Bobbin

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE