Which wipes are best ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Widgy grub

Tenderfoot
Jun 28, 2012
Lincolnshire
So, you want a weekend out!
You don't want to be a total " scratter " so take along some wipes for hands, face , pits and dangly bits...
What brands have you used ?

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Nearly all of em :D I don't find much difference TBH.

Whatever they are (fresh unused ones!) , they get dried in the airing cupboard til bone dry and rewetted when needed in a little plastic bag.

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I use regular hand sanitizer most of the time, Carex Dettol etc, I keep meaning to try some pine tar soap though.

In my poop pack I have some exfoliating face wipes for the more sensitive areas.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
I have a feeling Widgy grub may be regretting this question

Shewie is busy giving his nether regions some tlc which is nice but not strictly ultralight and no doubt he stole them off his Mrs
meanwhile the old stalwart
Tepee appears to be recycling above and beyond
Whats wrong with "Boots own brand" I ask you?

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Tesco fragrance free baby wipes. 2 year old son dictates we always have a house full.

realearner

Forager
Sep 26, 2011
kent
What's up with cold water and a wash kit? You do know that most of these wipe things don't degrade very well?
So environmentally not very nice. :p
Just my bit :D

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
i use the baby wipes from Lidles mostly. They don't get all of the dirt off (but then I am dirtier than the average bushcrafter!), but they do get most off and leave you refreshed :)

I was given a pack of 'multi surface wipes' from lidles once. I don't think the cleaners in them were too bad, certainly I didn't notice any problems washing with them, and they did a better job than baby wipes. The main downside is that they are lavender scented, so you smell like an old lady's handbag! :lmao:

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
What's up with cold water and a wash kit? You do know that most of these wipe things don't degrade very well?

More for when water is scarce and for drinking only rather than civilities of washing :) Most are cotton based i believe and they burn find in a fire. If not a ziplock back will make taking them home easier. Dont get me wrong if i am feeling brave enough and hypothermia isnt on the cards then a dip in a loch is much more refreshing.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland

I prefer hot water myself, but yes, water does the job for me. Most of the world gets by without loo roll and wipes, give it a go. :)

realearner

Forager
Sep 26, 2011
kent
More for when water is scarce and for drinking only rather than civilities of washing :) Most are cotton based i believe and they burn find in a fire. If not a ziplock back will make taking them home easier.

So do you burn them at home? And the washing could be done back home :lmao: LOL

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I use regular hand sanitizer most of the time, Carex Dettol etc, I keep meaning to try some pine tar soap though.

In my poop pack I have some exfoliating face wipes for the more sensitive areas.

Don't rely on hand sanitizer Shewie, in fact it can 'seal in' muck and bugs and should only be used on skin free of muck and dirt.

Tesco everyday value fragrence free, 62 a pack work OK.

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
Been using Boots own brand antiseptic wipes for a while, they do the job but after a few days of stubble growth tend to leave lots of annoying strands on my face - easily got rid of though and better than stinking. For just washing my hands I use some foaming hand cleanser.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
The only time that I used wipes I found that it left my skin feeling sticky, this lead to the dust and sand sticking to me. Is this common with all types? I just ended up with pine tar soap and a little water.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Use whatever is in the supermarket-fragrance free of course- but I also carry a small Boots travel sponge in a plastic bag in case I run out.
I bought some individually wrapped hand cleaner tissues intended for picknickers in France. Great on hands, but definitely NOT recommended for "sensitive" areas!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE