which shelter??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

which shelter??

• Tarp

Votes: 341 64.3%
  • Poncho

Votes: 44 8.3%
  • Tent

Votes: 152 28.7%
  • All natural ;)

Votes: 47 8.9%
  • hammock

Votes: 119 22.5%
  • other

Votes: 12 2.3%

• Total voters

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Where there are no decent hammock hanging points my hammy (pod) can become a groundsheet under a tarp shelter/tent supported on poles/canoe paddles.
My SwissTulle (RM) is not so versatile but various bits of kit can become temp ground sheet replacements ie waterproofs, rucksack, rucksack liner, survival bag, while my new reindeer-skin hammock liner will make a decent ground mat.
Lateral thinking is the key!
John

May 14, 2006
Consett County Durham
A lot of people are going to start getting out soon and I wonder what's on the cards for shelter. I expect it will change as the months go on, I'm doing hammock with Tarp at the moment.....Umm, I've done that all winter! So, Tarp for me :D

Well as soon as I'm able to get out without a snorkel and an anchor . . .

I'll be trying out a Mongoose 2 tent,
http://www.gelert.com/products/Mongoose_2.aspx

I'm too large for bivvi's and hammocks and so far haven't tried natural shelters (YET) so I'll have to say tents, but at least my tents are getting smaller :lmao:

Kev

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Tarps and hammocks are my favourite- BUT you need trees. No trees- you got problems..

camp2.jpg

two.jpg

Not always req'd.

Nick

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Voted for tarp and tent but If I look at all the times I've slept out over the last few years, I find that the tarp is taking over from the tent. I like its flexibility and space (as well as light weight). I don't have much experience of natural shelters as I usually camp when on a journey and I've never felt comfortable about turning up in someone's wood (or field, moor, mountain, whatever) and building something when I'm moving on asap in the morning. The tarp is also suitable for loads of environments, such as our upland areas, where natural building materials are either unavailable or require quarrying equipment. I have also used "found" natural shelters, e.g. caves.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Voted for tarp and tent but If I look at all the times I've slept out over the last few years, I find that the tarp is taking over from the tent. I like its flexibility and space (as well as light weight)..

Yeah, different to wake up and see the weather/view from under a tarp. Something special about waking up and looking across a loch from the hammock. :)

Nick

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
If it`s wet/cold weather and I know there`s going to be trees I`ll take a full size tarp, if it`s dry and warm sometimes I won`t bother and just crash in the bivvy bag or sometimes even with a ground pitched half length tarp.

Most of my bushcraft takes place in woodland so 90% of the time it`s the tarp.

Rich

irishlostboy

Nomad
Dec 3, 2007
Eire
i had my first go with a tarp in a mountainside there the other day. it is a home made one. we were on the top edge of a spruce forestry plantation, on quite a slope. it did surprisingly well. normally its a bivy bag and the sky for me. i bring a tent if i am with the gf, but that is strictly summer, and in reasonable civilisation. i never used a hammock for sleeping in. i cant sleep on my back, i stretch out on my tummy, so i imagine that would hurt a lot if i tried it in a hammock. but i would try anything once. twice if it had a governent health warning.

Bogman10

Nomad
Dec 28, 2006
Edmonton,ab,Can
IF I am with the Wife ( Campgrounds ) it's our Tent. Hike in Flyfishing ( Tarp and Bug mesh )in the mountains/foothills.
Hunting, Tarp lean-to-style, with a fire in front! ( Foothills )

;)

UKHaiku

Forager
Dec 27, 2007
York, UK
Well, I selected Tent and tarp/hammock - but it's cheating a little because I've only just ordered the latter through the GB.. ;)

I have a Hilleberg Akto for camping, and it's a great tent - very easy and quick to erect (linked inner and outer), reasonable porch, not much issue with condensation and pretty much bomb-proof when it comes to weather. Only problem is that I get a bit of a bad back, even with a thermarest - one of the reasons I'm looking forward to trying a hammock...
:red:

I also have a DPM basha that I sometimes carry with me when walking in questionable weather (i.e. not camping) - something to make a brew under if needed :)

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
Just started using my Tom Claytor Jungle Hammock and like the feeling (although still not able to sleep very comfy in it), will be trying it out as much as possible coming summer so it's hammock and tarp for me. Unless above tree line where I'd go for a proper tent...

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
Have you tried tightineng or slackening the hammock to see what fits best ? Also is it big enough for you ?

Nick
I'm still trying, mostly as tightened as I can get it, will try slackening it next time, thanks for the advice :)
It's definitely big enough, should fit blokes up to 7' 5" and I'm about 6' 3" (and quite a skinny type)

Cheers,
Lasse

H

High on Hex

Double skin tent nearly always. Weighs very little more than tarp n bivi. Fast to pitch, use nearly anywhere. If it's warm i leave the door open and use the inner as a groundsheet. Love it!

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
Tarp and Hammock for me, even more so now I have the underblankey velcroed to it (stops it slipping around when I'm moving about).

For extra added comfort I take a pvc backed picnic blanket to go underneath to keep both my stuff and socked feet warm and dry, no standing on wet mud after taking the boots off!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE