Which Leatherman

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JDO330

Nomad
Nov 27, 2007
Stevenage, Herts.
Hi All,

Ive always been a SAK fan but feel its time to buy a Leatherman so the question is which one? Which model to you guys & gals favour for general use.

ATB, Jon.

DKW

Forager
Oct 6, 2008
Denmark
Leatherman? Broke every single one i ever laid my hands on. The last one was a 'Wave'.

generally the wave gives a good impression. I do find leatherman in general as a bit too 'flimsy' though. (As i have broken my fair share of them over the years)

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Wave for me, with a knifeless Fuse or non-locking Kick for those situations were a blade or locker on yer person ain't good.

I've used and abused Leathermans for years now and they have always held up. Great tools.

NatG

Settler
Apr 4, 2007
Southend On Sea
i don't lnow whyt but i never really found those "multitools" very usful, always heavy, uncomfortable and expensive.

an altrernative i have been considering is a small toolkit- bottle opener etc. and a knife

Native Justice

Forager
Apr 8, 2008
Littleton, CO USA
For trail use and the outdoors I'd recommend the Skeletool. For EDC, day to day use, my favorite is the Ti Charge or the less expensive Wave. All excellent tools capable of handling most anything you can toss at them.

Be Safe.

NJ

Gailainne

Life Member
I must admit if I dont have my SAK on me I have a "Wave", excellent tool, the wood saw is just that little bit longer than a SAK's, so is more useful. For instance I used a wave at the weekend to make an oil lantern from a couple of beer cans, however I'm sure any SAK with sissors could have done the task equally as well.

SAK non locking blades are legal in the UK, any Leatherman illegal as a street carry.

Thats my best reason for carrying a SAK, I dont have to justify it to anyone, including the local PC :rolleyes: .

Stephen

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I have the wave, supertool PST2 and Juice Xe6. The supertool is by far the most robust, the wave is my EDC (I know it locks but I've "Cause To Carry") and the juice is cool for bike rallies as it has a corkscrew :D

Diligence

Forager
Sep 15, 2008
Calgary, Canada
simple plain old PST2 - light and has everything I need right up to the point where I realize that whatever is broken really needs my whole tool box to fix.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
SAK non locking blades are legal in the UK, any Leatherman illegal as a street carry.

Thats my best reason for carrying a SAK, I dont have to justify it to anyone, including the local PC :rolleyes: .

Stephen

The knifeless Fuse is perfectly legal for edc. Also the Kick has a non-locking sub 3 inch blade, which is legal edc. All the Juice models are legal edc too.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I've got more than my fair share of these goodies,
PST2, Surge, SwisstoolX, Gerber Archer & Ledgend 800, Winchester, as well as a few knock offs.
My advice would be to get one that fits your hand - theres nothing so uncomfortable as a tool which is either too small or too big for the users hands. They will never be as good as a range of dedicated tools but for convenience, they are pretty handy to have around.

My review is knocking around in Edged tools somewhere!

ATB

Ogri the trog

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE