Which lamp oil

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tree beard

Feb 21, 2011
Sheffield
I've just found this old lamp in my parents attic and would love to use it at home but SWMBO is worried it will smell the house out, could anyone advise me if there is a lamp oil that won't get me and the lamp thrown out?

Cheers.

sausage100uk

Settler
May 4, 2013
United Kingdom
Look for "indoor lamp oil" in the garden centre or diy shop. I use my two feurhand lamps all the time and it has very little smell.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Get a pure paraffin and add a few drops of essential oil to it - lavender is nice - smells great!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Most of the good modern lamp oils shouldn't stink out the house, and as others have said you can get scented oils or scent it yourself. One thing I would say, especially after watching "period" programs is to keep your wicks short and trimmed. In too many programs/films you see the thing smoking away like a steel factory chimney. Lamps shouldn't reek like that, it'll smell and blacken your walls.

Good luck and have fun,
GB.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I use Barratine or Bartoline whatever it's called indoor lamp oil which is refined Paraffin. I use this as a nearby shop still sells it for £3 a litre which is a good price for lamp oil. You still get a hint of Paraffin smell which is reduced by keeping the wick trimmed and a lower flame size.
I am also doing trials on testing the Co levels various lamps produce as I bought a alarm that shows the PPM of Co on a screen. I will report my findings back when done.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Just use paraffin and keep your wick trimmed and don't turn it up too much, this is when you get sooting and strong smell. Kerosene was a registered trade mark, but its still paraffin.

tree beard

Feb 21, 2011
Sheffield
Thank you all for the replies, certainly got me pointing in the right direction.

But what is meant by "keeping the wick trimmed"? Is it trimming it in an arch to follow the shape of the wick shroud?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Pies is right, keep it flat and level on a standard wick such as typical in a hurricane lamp. You should get very little smell off a paraffin lantern so long as you don't turn the wick up too much, keep to a 'white' flame and you'll be fine.

Word of warning regarding 'lamp oil'. Its fine in wick lanterns but may well clog up pressure lanterns like Tilley or Vapalux/Bialaddin as happened to me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE