Which knot to use?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Hi, I want to make an adjustable guy line for my tarp without having to buy those guy clip things so I was wondering what knot I could use so I can adjust the tension round a peg?

Thanks for any help :D

Asa.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Hi Asa Samuel, regarding the link by member Sainty on the adjustable cawley hitch, it shows the last turn-round as going ''between'' the two strands leading from peg, personally i find that if you take that last turn-round completely ''over'' both strands from peg it is a much better knot, diagram shows all the turns going between the two sections of string from peg, my recommendation is that you take two turns ''inside'' the two strings then one last turn completely ''over'' both strings, in effect this binds the strings coming from peg close together, the last turn is finished with a pull-through to form a slip knot same as diagram for easy untying/slip knot.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Can't quite understand that, Joonsy. Any chance of a diagram?

Hi Asa Samuel, four photos below to illustrate knot as requested, the first two photos are how i like to tie knot, the second two photos illustrate the difference between the two tying methods, examine the the last turn and you will find the end of rope where it is double-backed to create a loop for slip knot for easy untying is passed completely '''OVER BOTH ENDS''' of loop to peg, in bottom/last photo you will see i have tied the knot as shown in diagram provided by Sainty's link and the last turn-round creating the slip knot goes '''BETWEEN THE TWO ENDS''' creating loop for peg. Both methods work but i prefer tying it myself as in the ''''over''' method as i think it holds better. Hope this helps.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Silverclaws

Forager
Jul 23, 2009
Plymouth, Devon
That's a waggon hitch isn't it, the the knot used when tying loads onto waggons with rope ?

Adjustable guy lines, I have used prussik loops, they are good for ascending ropes when potholing I have found, so they good for the guy line situation and look so tidy.

Prussik knots can slide easily when there is no tension on the knot, but grab very well when there is tension on the knot.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Theres a secret missing from the link to Rays set-up method,
If you hank your tarp lines as fleetingly shown 57 seconds into the video that Malente posted, you can draw out only the length needed to secure your guy. The still hanked excess can be stowed between the two lengths around your peg where it stays off the floor, not getting stepped on or muddy and serves as a visual indicator to stop folk tripping over your guylines.
Much easier to show than describe.....

ATB

Ogri the trog

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Thanks for that Joonsy, it's a lot easier to understand when you can see it :eek:

Silverclaws, that's a good suggestion thanks.

Ogri, that does make sense and sounds like a great idea, I've always just wrapping the excess cord around the line to keep it off the floor.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
That's a waggon hitch isn't it, the the knot used when tying loads onto waggons with rope ?

Adjustable guy lines, I have used prussik loops, they are good for ascending ropes when potholing I have found, so they good for the guy line situation and look so tidy.

Prussik knots can slide easily when there is no tension on the knot, but grab very well when there is tension on the knot.

No, a waggoner's hitch is tied totally different, the knot illustated with photos is easily adjusted by sliding knot up or down length of string which cannot be done with the waggoner's hich which is tensioned by hauling on the free loose end, this link shows the waggoner's hitch, a completely different knot http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trucker%27s_hitch and this link shows how to tie the waggoner's hitch which as you see it's totally different http://www.bullsbrookscouts.com/truckie****ch.html

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
what about the evik (spelling) really quick and easy to use..think i`ve seen it on you-tube

I think you mean Evenk, or Siberian hitch. It's basically a figure of eight slipped at each end with a ring in one of the slip loops (which stops it slipping.

It doesn't do what's required here but it's used a lot in this kind of application (messing around with tarps and things:)).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE