Which is the more breathable.. AEGIS or Gore Tex Pro?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 10, 2017
UK
Hi,

which is the more breathable AEGIS from Swazi or Gore Tex Pro?

In a post I saw it was stated that Gore Tex Pro is far more breathable than most proprietary membranes. Is this also true of AEGIS as it is so highly thought of by some.

Thanks for your help,
All the best,
Kip.

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up Kipanderson,

I can't speak for AEGIS or Gore Tex Pro - just Goretex and a whole host of other so called 'breathables'.

In my experience whether there is any difference when used in real life is so subjective that it is quite hard to quantify.

I've been soaked through in Goretex from perspiration whilst tabbing and relatively dry in PU or under a rubberised poncho whilst static in a prolonged downpour.

IMHO good forethought and use of zips/drawstrings/cuff closures/pit zips etc or just taking on/off a garment at the right time can make more difference than any claims of 'breathability'. :)

that goes for synthetics-v-natural fabrics too.

Nov 10, 2017
UK
Jaeger, hi,

thanks for your reply. Am grateful.

Maybe the thing to do is relax to some extent and if a fabric generally has good reviews resist getting to nerdy about it and just try to keep as dry and comfortable as possible by taking your advise.

Thanks.
All the best,
Kip.

Angry Pirate

Forager
Jul 24, 2014
Peak District
Goretex Pro is significantly more breathable than traditional Goretex (30% more is quoted by Mountain Equipment).
I couldn't tell you about Aegis but you might find a mvtr (moisture vapour transmission rate) quoted if you Google around a bit. From experience, companies that use their own membranes tend to because they couldn't get a license with Gore rather than they found a better alternative, possible exceptions being Event or Neoshell fabrics.
The best way to manage breathability in waterproofs is to layer effectively with synthetic wicking clothing underneath and avoiding cotton.
I can happily trog up a hill with a pack in torrential rain in Goretex Pro and be relatively dry underneath. It also breathes well enough for ice climbing where a sweat on is pretty much guaranteed.

Nov 10, 2017
UK
Angry Pirate, hi,
thanks.
Lots of good info. Goretex Pro certainly goes for a premium and you have explained very well why.
This forum is clearly the place to come for advise on cold weather gear.
Thanks for taking the time.
All the best,
kip.

Nov 10, 2017
UK
MikeLA, hi,
yes.. but hopefully windproof enough if still waterproof.
Could always find myself ambushed by the technology of course :)...

All the best,
Kip.

Polecatsteve

Nomad
Aug 20, 2014
Scotland
More breathable doesn’t mean more holes... or less water proof. (Take the umbrella, 100% water proof and 100% breathable!) I digress.

The “holes” are big enough to let moisturised water out (sweat in vapour form). But big rain blobs which are in liquid form can’t pass through.

Jaeger hit the nail on the head. No mater how good all this fancy and expensive stuff gets. Opening a zip, slowing down or letting vents open will no doubt be of more benefit than 5000mm/24h .....;-)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE