Which is the best medium priced sharpening system ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

silva

Jun 11, 2012
Welshpool
This no doubt one of the best places to find out.
Which is the best medium priced knife sharpening system ? I'm using an old oil stone, some very cheap flat chinese diamond plates in three grades and an old steel at the moment, which is ok but no doubt could be better.
I was hoping for a system with guides on to reduce the error and amount of steel to take off.
My mate takes his knives to a cabinet maker who has an electric bench mounted mega bucks sharpener for chizsels and they come back barely touched and razor sharp.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
If you're getting acceptable results with what you're doing now, save your cash. If you want to reduce the amount of steel you're removing you might want to try a ceramic steel.

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
I Like the Spyderco Sharpmaker. Its a doddle, very hard to get it wrong.

Not something that ever leaves the house though, more for a maintenance sharpen.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
I Like the Spyderco Sharpmaker. Its a doddle, very hard to get it wrong.

Not something that ever leaves the house though, more for a maintenance sharpen.

+ 1 of this :) superb piece of kit that gives shaving sharp every time. Easy to use and clean. Highly recommended.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Whatever you use, get your knives sharp then start stropping. No need to go to stones or anything unless the bevels get damaged. Stropping will work for ages and ages once the bevels are set and it doesn't remove steel...

silva

Jun 11, 2012
Welshpool
Hi,
Thank you for the advice, will check out the Spyderco, the one i had been looking at was the Lansky system. Find it differcult to sharpen modern knives that have another little edge on the edge of the blade. Older ones that are hollow ground or the angle runs right to the edge of the blade come up fine for me.
I like my knives to be inexpensive utilty items that you are not scared of using, or good quality old ones that have been rescued from the dustbin, but recently had to go out and buy a second hand Cold Steel Master Hunter, as somebody lent me one to use and it was a revelation and fiendishly sharp ! This is the one I don't want to jigger up by sharpening badly fom the outset.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE