Which is best?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The Ratcatcher

Apr 3, 2011
Manchester, UK
As far as Celox and Quickclot are concerned, unless you're expecting to treat major trauma or gunshot wounds, I wouldn't bother. A field dressing or equivalent, properly applied, will work just as well, and is a lot cheaper. I carry Kaltostat alginate dressings for the odd occasion I come across somebody who is on anticoagulants, but I've only ever used one in about the last 20 years. Personally, I prefer Watergel, having used both, but there are two formulations, one for the US, and one used in the UK. The US version contains Lignocaine, a local anaesthetic, but is not available in the UK. Accident and Emergency Department staff don't like any of these products, as they can cause problems when treating the casualty in hospital, not least the problem of having to remove the stuff before definitive treatment.

Alan.

PickleB

Jan 6, 2014
UK J5 M25
I just came across this a brief guide to haemostatic agents (link) at www.realfirstaid.co.uk.

And they have some more advice about FA kit here (link).

I've been on anti-platelet medication and had the greatest difficulty in staunching a bleed from a cut heel. Being on my own, it was difficult to access, elevation wasn't much of an option and it was a longish gash, but not very deep (thank goodness). That led to me buying some Celox in first aid size (3g sachets). Although I've never had cause to use them, it has been comforting to know I have them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE