Which gas stove and backpack?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

taws6

Nomad
Jul 27, 2007
Anglia
Hi,

As you can probably guess, I'm after a new gas camping stove and new rucksack.

Is the coleman F1 gas stove reasonable? I just want something basic (around £20ish)that packs smallish with reliability.

The pack needs to be between 42 and 48 litre, have mesh pockets on the outsides for drying towels / milbank / socks etc, have a good anti sweaty back system, have a way to tie a wet coat to the outside and have a 3L (preferably inbuilt) waterstorage. Oh, and preferably be dark colours - green / brown (Dont want much do I!).
Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks for the advise

Last edited:

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
Take a look at the Swedish LK 35, it doesn't have the mesh you want but wouldn't take much to modify that. The rest would fit the bill, it is a framed pack so you don't get a sweaty back and there is ample room. It'll also outlive your grandchildren!

They were 10 quid before but I think they have gone up to 15 quid, take a look on surplusandadventure, but call before you place your order. Search the forums to see how they can often let paying customers down.

taws6

Nomad
Jul 27, 2007
Anglia
Hi Phill,

Thanks for the suggestion.
A 35 Litre isn't quiet big enough
Looks a nice pack, though Canvas is normally heavish, esp when wet

Last edited:

taws6

Nomad
Jul 27, 2007
Anglia
I thought the pocket rocket was MSR, but I also thought they were £50 odd as well!
Thanks for the suggestion, looking at rockets now

Any other suggestions for a pack?

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Pocket rocket (it is MSR) and GoLite Jam2. That's what I have anyway! My pocket rocket was £27 when Blacks had an offer on and the Jam2 £40, similarly, on sale at Go Outdoors. There may be some in stores still, they were taken offline a short while ago, but then did drop down to £35.

I tend to find I get a sweaty back, no matter what rucksack system I'm using. I went for the above combination to save on weight.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
The Snugpak Sleeka Forces 35 does have a mesh bit on the back.
I know you said you wanted a slightly bigger pack, but the Sleeka is a good-sized 35L pack.
Worth looking at, at least.

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
For a rucksack that is cheap try the Sting from Endicotts and ofr a gas stove either the Coleman Alpine with it's stable legs and gas pipe or one of the gelert folding stoves

Depends on how much you want to spend. I use the OD version of the sting both out and about and for TA stuff and have both stoves which do their job.

You don't have to fork out stupid amounts of money on MSR stoves.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The little lantern is a cracker, very very frugal on gas and throws out enough heat for a smaller type tent and packs into a small plastic box about 2.5"x2.5"x4"

Spare mantles off the site are about 30p each if you buy ten.

taws6

Nomad
Jul 27, 2007
Anglia
Thanks for all your input everyone, certainly given me some things to consider. Cheers for the links too.

The sting looks a great pack, maybe a touch on the heavy side, but loads of great features and sounds bombproof.

I also really like the look of the golite Jam2, at only 60g for a 50 Litre, that may just take the lead with it's features too.

The TK100 does indeed look the spit of the pocket rocket, maybe just the arms and seals differ slightly, but for £15 less, a great price and worthy of a try, although I really liked the look of the Alpine from coleman too. Great idea for stability, a bit pricey though.

So I'm now wondering if there's a gas stove like the alpine at a more reasonable price for the stability issue. If there's nothing under £20 I'll give the TK100 a whirl.

Thanks for all the advise, appreciate it in these hard times

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
osprey packs are outstanding, i have a kestrel 38 in green/grey, sizes are deceptive, its more like a 40-42ish litre pack. or a lowe alpine or karrimor with adjustable back, also very good.

taws6

Nomad
Jul 27, 2007
Anglia
The osprey packs do look awesome, but they're a touch on the expensive side.
I need to get to a store with a good choice to actually see them, my local only has 3 or 4 around the 45 Litre size.

Landy_Dom

Nomad
Jan 11, 2006
Mold, North Wales
Gelert do a copy of the pocket rocket - i've got one. Quality is pretty good and only £10-12 shopping around for one.

Dom.

EDIT: it's called the Gelert Intensity if you want to search for it

Last edited:

yeha

Tenderfoot
Oct 4, 2009
North Yorkshire
As above, the Gelert Intensity is a pocket rocket clone. The Gelert Blaze is a Markill Peak Ignition clone. Other web forums suggest that they are from the same factories.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
As above, the Gelert Intensity is a pocket rocket clone. The Gelert Blaze is a Markill Peak Ignition clone. Other web forums suggest that they are from the same factories.

Read post #10, as said some of the kit is coming through marked Gelert.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE