Which folding saw?

Mike313

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
South East
Hi Folks,
We are about to tackle a seriously overgrown hedge. We have armed ourselves with a reasonably heavy-duty Bosch hedge-trimmer and a loppers, but are considering adding a folding saw to our arsenal.
I'm looking for recommendations that won't break the bank, we will have other uses for it, I'm sure but it will still amount to occasional use rather than daily use. We've looked on-line at saws by Felco, Silky and Bahco, haven't seen them 'in person' but they all seem to be good.
Does anyone have some advice they could share?
Thanks in advance.

Chris

Life Member
Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
Really can’t go wrong with a Bahco Laplander.

That said, I personally use a Silky Gomboy which I like a lot. Slightly less bomb proof than the Laplander (I think less ‘snap’ proof, and only cuts on the pull, vs the push/pull of the Laplander) but I like it.

Reactions: Ozmundo

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Depends who's using it. Silky's are fantastic but you have to be able to get used to the cut on the pull stroke only and, if you get it wrong, can damage saw. Also, in tight spaces, it's not always possible to get a good 'pull' only stroke going. For exactly the kind of thing you're describing (but think more woodland coppicing and thinning) I use a Bahco Laplander - quite tough and forgiving and cuts just fine. If you catch the blade it bends not breaks. However, that's if I can't reach the branch with either my ratcheting loppers (up to 50mm cut) or my electric chainsaw :)

Oops - cross pots with Chris :)

Reactions: Chris

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
My Bahco Laplander sees more use in the garden than anywhere else. I prune trees, keep hawthorn hedge in order and cut firewood with it. Just the job when working in dense thicket. I've had it for years and it's very forgiving of hard use. Highly recommended.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Never had a high end folding saw, I have used whatever is on sale at the local garden centre and considering I have lost a few of them it is just as well I did not pay silly money. I really do not know if a Silky or a Bahco is any better since I have never tried.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Silkys are used by Tree surgeons.

But yes, you do need to get used to the Pull...some folk dont.

Sep 14, 2024
Germany
I've got the Silky Gomboy and I can't say anything bad about it. The grip is nice and it saws extremely well.

The only downside is possibly that (at least in my case) it came with a bulky plastic case. I would have preferred a fabric case, which I ended up making myself anyways.

Springchicken

Aug 29, 2005
Northants.
I started with a Laplander and, don't get me wrong, it's a great saw. But then, someone recommended a Silky and I haven't looked back. I like the fact that it cuts on the pull - it adds to the feeling of pecision and safety when making a cut; I like its impressive sharpness and I like the range of sizes that you can obtain for different jobs. The only real advantage that the Laplander has is the lock on the blade, when open and, crucially, when closed.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Which Silky did you get? The Gomboy has a lock as well.
Not for closed, but I tend to keep the pivot tight on my Silkys. They make Laplanders seem like wood files by comparison. I lent my Zubat to @Woody girl for a few cuts when we were out and like anyone else who tries one, instantly smitten. Zubat has thicker blade stock for rough arb use, and it’s nice to have a belt sheath to clip it into rather than finding a pocket with a handful of cut stuff to drag back. Super Accel lives in the car for walks when I’ll find Hazel and Blackthorn. BigBoy doesn’t see a lot of use at all.

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
Really can’t go wrong with a Bahco Laplander.

That said, I personally use a Silky Gomboy which I like a lot. Slightly less bomb proof than the Laplander (I think less ‘snap’ proof, and only cuts on the pull, vs the push/pull of the Laplander) but I like it.
Yep exactly that for me as well, my lads an arborist and the silky is their go to.

Reactions: Chris

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
Hi Folks,
We are about to tackle a seriously overgrown hedge. We have armed ourselves with a reasonably heavy-duty Bosch hedge-trimmer and a loppers, but are considering adding a folding saw to our arsenal.
I'm looking for recommendations that won't break the bank, we will have other uses for it, I'm sure but it will still amount to occasional use rather than daily use. We've looked on-line at saws by Felco, Silky and Bahco, haven't seen them 'in person' but they all seem to be good.
Does anyone have some advice they could share?
Thanks in advance.
Mossy oak. has 3 interchangable blades. hacksaw, rough wood saw and fine wood saw

Reactions: Elsenham 177

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE