Which first knife...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

effzedess

Apr 29, 2010
Peterborough
Hi guys, I'm looking to get my first bushcraft knife having seen the thread put up about Workshop Heaven selling Mora's at a discount.

I can't decide between the Mora Force or the Mora Forest.
I'm aware that the Forest is profile ground but, do I need that? Will it take the abuse a beginner like me is likely to give it or would I be better off with the Force as its the same thickness blade along its length?

Any advice gratefully received.

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
+1 on the Force. I can see no useful purpose for the blade shape on the Forest or Mora 2000. It looks impossible to sharpen with no function to the odd shape. The Clippers are also very good and for less money. Have you considered a Mora 510 from Ray Mears? A real classic design. Good luck!

Survivalmike

Forager
Jan 25, 2010
Austria
Another +1 for the Force! The blade shape on the Forest should be designed for food prep (using the flat ground part at the tip) and the scandi grind is good for carving, but it could be hard to sharpen (2 different shapes and angles).
In case ood prep is also good with a scandi grind (all that the Mora has a thin blade with approx 2.3mm)!

cheers
Mike

effzedess

Apr 29, 2010
Peterborough
Thanks Wizard :) I'd already pressed the button on the Force from Workshop Heaven (no connection) before I saw your post. I had looked at the clippers for a while until i saw the discounted Force/Forest and thought the slightly deeper (spine to edge?) blade of the force would be a benefit. Don't know if I was right but at £15.00 delivered all is not lost if I've dropped a clanger.
Just also had a look at the 510 you recommended - very nice. Gets good reviews too. Maybe I need more that one !?! ;)

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
Thanks Wizard :) I'd already pressed the button on the Force from Workshop Heaven (no connection) before I saw your post. I had looked at the clippers for a while until i saw the discounted Force/Forest and thought the slightly deeper (spine to edge?) blade of the force would be a benefit. Don't know if I was right but at £15.00 delivered all is not lost if I've dropped a clanger.
Just also had a look at the 510 you recommended - very nice. Gets good reviews too. Maybe I need more that one !?! ;)

You can never have too many knives :) There are so many that are excellent designs and remember a cutting tool was the most cherished item of our distant relatives.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE