Which cartridge for an old Epigas stove?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
I've dug out an old (c.1990) folding Epigas cartridge stove from the loft which looks OK to use, although I haven't used it for at least eight years. The only problem is that with Epigas no longer being around, which cartridge should I use?

Coleman took over Epigas, so I assume that a Coleman cartridge would fit (the connection looks similar) - something like this:
image16577.jpg

The problem is that the stove looks exactly like this:
41ZHaoDeYCL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

- which is using a Campingaz cartridge.

I know that Coleman actually owns both brands, but do the cartridges have the same fitting? If not, which one do I use? I've bought a small Colemans cartridge just in case, but I'd thought I'd better check before I lost my eyebrows!

Thanks in advance for any advice, and if anyone knows where I can get some instructions in order to service the thing, I would be even more grateful (Google has come up with nothing).

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Most Modern camping stoves use the EN417 standard threaded connection and use a lindal style valve.

EPI GAS did back in the 90's IIRC so pretty much most modern cartridges will fit.

Camping Gaz are an exception and they use a propriatory fitting system for the cartriges with valve and then there is the older 'bluet' pierceable canisters.

Servicing on EPI Appliances is pretty straightforward. Check to see if the small O ring in the base of the stove is free from cracks if it's perished look to replace it. Don't mess with the valve at all EPI valves are generally very good. The jet should be fine also dont poke anything into it.

Hope this helps

John

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I have an old epigas stove that looks similar to the one in the bottom picture. Mine is collapsible and has a 10p sized disc with 4 slotted holes for the pan supports. It takes the screw on gas cartridges of the type shown in your top picture.

I think stoves for the bluet type cartridge in the bottom picture pierce the can and aren't resealable.

bushblade

Nomad
Jul 5, 2003
West Yorkshire
www.bushblade.co.uk
I've dug out an old (c.1990) folding Epigas cartridge stove from the loft which looks OK to use, although I haven't used it for at least eight years. The only problem is that with Epigas no longer being around, which cartridge should I use?

Coleman took over Epigas, so I assume that a Coleman cartridge would fit (the connection looks similar) - something like this:
image16577.jpg

I know that Coleman actually owns both brands, but do the cartridges have the same fitting? If not, which one do I use? I've bought a small Colemans cartridge just in case, but I'd thought I'd better check before I lost my eyebrows!

Thanks in advance for any advice, and if anyone knows where I can get some instructions in order to service the thing, I would be even more grateful (Google has come up with nothing).

If it looks like the one at the bottom it could be either.
The Coleman branded canisters are screw on, the camping gaz ones are clip on.
Look at the bottom of the stove, does it have a screw thread? If so its coleman screw on fitting, and is most likely the case with epigas.
The only other type of canister is a camping gaz c206 cartridge which is none re-sealable. Stoves equiped to take this cartridge will have a sharp spike like protrusion from the bottom. They will also have some sort of large system below the burner bit to secure the cartridge to the stove, so Its usualy quite obvious if they take this canister.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
Thanks for the advice from all of you. The Coleman looked right, but I wasn't able to check the Campingaz bottles because of the plastic seals they put on them.

It would have been a shame to have chucked the stove - its done a lot of service, and a new Coleman F1 Lite is about £25. My eyebrows will also survive another day. Johnboy's link to zenstoves is very useful, and I would certainly recommend it.

Thanks again to all.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I remember epigas having stoves like the bottom picture and they were of the newer screw on type. The modern standard wasn't around then but it was based on the epigas/coleman type IIRC. I have an early Coleman stove bought when you still could see both Epigas and Colemans stoves on the gear shop stands. It works on primus, MSR, coleman and go-gas cans. I'm guessing since it was bought in the early 90s or even late 80s it is like your stove fittings.

All I can say is try it on one of the gas cans, outside in the open of course somewhere safe in case of a leak, then light it with a taper or something that removes your hand from the can a bit. If it is not the right thread you might hear a leak or might not, but if you don't hear anything then I reckon you might well be able to light it safely. I'm not sure how safe my advice is and accept no responsibility for you following it but its what I'd do and live with the third degree burns. But then I'm from the same genepool that pours petrol on a lit fire to get it burning quicker. :D Lets just say fireballs heading your way are a good incentive to move your head back out of the way.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
You can pick up gas stoves from th likes of Gelert (quite nice lightweight ones) for about £10 BTW. If you are not confident in it then perhaps a tenner might be better for you.

Me I'm a nutter and prefer to try it.

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
The modern standard wasn't around then but it was based on the epigas/coleman type IIRC. I have an early Coleman stove bought when you still could see both Epigas and Colemans stoves on the gear shop stands. It works on primus, MSR, coleman and go-gas cans. I'm guessing since it was bought in the early 90s or even late 80s it is like your stove fittings.

The BS/EN 417 Standard was written in 1992. Any modern screw canister that conforms to BS/EN 417 will fit the stove.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I've got old Primus gas stoves from the 60's and they take standard modern cans of gas no problem, the epigas will too. Give me the stove if your worried, I'll put it to good use;)

Mike Brotherton

Feb 13, 2011
English Midlands

image16577.jpg

Your eyebrows will be alright, Epi gas style cartridges are still made by Primus (with the sloping top) but I use a Coleman with an Epi gas from 1987 and no problems. The local camping shop sells Plein Air Cartridges too and these are cheaper. The screw on fitting is called an EN17 (European standards) Hope this helps.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE