Which basic smock?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

In Wood

Nomad
Oct 15, 2006
Leyland, Lancashire.
Zammo, the only comment I can give you regarding size, I am 6'5" 48" chest and I have the XXXL smock, it is a great size for me, I would recomend you get a bigger size than you normaly would, not because the smocks are small, but in winter you can put it over your Swanni and all your warn base layers and be really nice and warm sat in the wind and rain just watching the wildlife go by, in summer over just a T or Bush shirt and have room for the air to move around and kep you cool.

They have a good draw cord so you can tighten it up if you need to, the othet reason for a bigger size is taking it off.

It is an art to remove said item without looking like Houdini on a bad day.:eek:

That said I would not be without mine now.:D

In Wood

Nomad
Oct 15, 2006
Leyland, Lancashire.
Feltons Army surplus in Preston. But they are a bit pricey.

The had two in XXXL, one new one used, I got the new one, paid a bit over the price compared to some have paid on here, but the only place I had seen them that big. Pies what pies?;)

As I said before it is one of my favourite bits of kit and absolutley no regrets at all, I love it.

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
Gutted just got an email from Genuine Army Surplus saying that they only have XXL & XXXL sizes of the smock left, so my money has been refunded. :(

Robbo

Nomad
Aug 22, 2005
Darkest Scotland,
Just an update of sorts, I've just made up some homemade greenland wax (9 parts paraffin to 1 part beeswax) and waterproofed (or at least made it water resistant)the smock.

But as yet everytime I go out in the rain with it on, it seens to fair up suddenly, maybe thats how greenland wax works :p.

I did notice its stiffened up the fabric slightly (which I kinda like, should be slightly more hardwearing)

I'll let you know who well it waterproofs the fabric.

Andy

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll

Waterproofing… in-wood I think, mentioned using Fabsil to waterproof his. I did a bit of snooping on the net, and found some campers using the stuff to waterproof their tents. Many of them however were using “Thomsons water seal” on the grounds that it was much the same stuff and way cheaper. Anyone used it or know anything about it?, and are there any down sides to the waterproofing, like increased flammability, material stiffening or smell?

I've not used Fabsil, but I have used Thomsons Water Seal. The smell is quite strong, and if used you really need to do it outside and air it for some time. Depending on the fabric you put it onto you'll need to either soak it or work it into the cloth. Use a plant spayer or something similar and a sponge or paint bush to apply it, if you put it into a bowl it starts to evaporate away... :lmao: Plus it will keep the smell down a bit. As to how well it works, well thats entirely dependant on both the fabric ( tight enough weave etc. ) and how well you applied the stuff. I've waterproofed ripstop nylon with no problems.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE