Which basic smock?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robbo

Nomad
Aug 22, 2005
Darkest Scotland,
I'm looking for a basic cheap smock to tide me over till my ventile ones is done (or until i get fed up waiting for my admittedly busy Mother to do it and have a go myself). So I'm looking at these two possibilities;

Swedish snow smock

http://www.genuinearmysurplus.co.uk/pages/products/detail/rowid=692

http://www.exarmy.co.uk/shop/product.php?xProd=4

OR

Titantex deluxe cotton hooded smock.

http://www.titanproducts.co.uk/new-titantex-deluxe-hooded-cotton-smock-rrp-20952595-7-p.asp

I'm looking for one thats windproof and some degree of water resistance. so any feedback on either is apprecaited.

Andy

Go for the Titantex smock, it's very hard wearing and is windproof, it is only showerproof but with a cottonproof type treatment you can improve this, I would still take a waterproof as well in case the weather gets really nasty.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
The titantex smock is a great bit of kit. I used to use one before I got my ventile one.
it's fairly windproof, but not very water resistant. even with a proofing treatment.
Ideal for tramping about in the woods over a wooly pully if you happen to have a poncho for when the rain comes.
At the price you can pick them up, you'd be daft not to have one.

Edit;
If you're coming to the Loch Tay meet, I've got one you can try out if you want.

R

Runs for cake

Just ordered one, what would be the best way to waterproof it when it gets here?

Thanks.

Sean

Nov 24, 2006
Bristol
Robbo,

I've just ordered and received the Swedish Snow Smock from exarmy.co.uk and have to say that I am hugely impressed with it. It is a little on the big side, the large 108-120 fits me with room to spare, i.e. I could get a large jumper and a fleece on comfortably underneath. I'm 6'2" and 12.5 stone. It's also got a massive hood, you could get it over motor bike helmet if so required it's that big !

For £20 it's a bargain, not had the opportunity to try it outdoors. It is quite thick tightly woven cotton and will need proofing of some sort to keep the rain out.

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
I have the swedish smock and I'm also very impressed. Besides being whitish, it's a great bit of kit, very windproof and with a bit of proofing also very water resistant. I wonder if the dense weave of the smock has the same effect as ventile. Anyone?

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
I have the version with buttons down the front and bought it because its cheap, roomy and wont let me sweat as a pig.
http://www.raeer.com/cgi-bin/katalog/c4a381b69716745a
It dyed easily into a dark blue and I proofed it with Nikwax Cottonproof (not very effective9 and later with greenland wax from Fjellraven (much better).
I wash it at the end of the season and re-proof it in the beginning only
Here I wear it:
Winterwald26-o1-2006006_cr.jpg

Robbo

Nomad
Aug 22, 2005
Darkest Scotland,
So the general concensus is their both decent pieces of kit but the Swedish Smock seems to have the edge in terms of water repellancy, but it is more expenxive than the Titantex one (once postages is included anyway)

Any more thoughts, advice or mini reviews.

Does the swedish one have a drawstring waist? some pics I've seen do, some don't

Andy

Big Bad Stu

Nomad
Jul 18, 2006
Shropshire
I have a Titan one and virtually live in it, it's great for walking, working on farms as a surveyor, mechanics on the truck, shooting etc. etc.

Shame it's not waterproof, I just bung my Swannie over the top and I am fine.

Best £20 ish I have ever spent.

Stewey.:D

R

Runs for cake

I did the same . It arrived within two days, my second choice colour of black ( first choice was olive naturally) . Its been out walking the dogs several times thus far and I'm pretty impressed. Stops the wind well and now it's had a good spraying with Granger's waterproofing may stop the water too.

Couple of minor dislikes. It could do with a neck zip or something similar, there is no option to open it up a bit if it gets warm ( which it might do one day). A waist draw cord would be a great addition, I have improvised a cord at the very bottom which is working well. The chest pocket fits lots of stuff in it but the handwarmer pocket has no closing mechanism and looks like it would fill with rain .

All in all though, I've had it for about a week and consider it a good buy. I will find someone to make the minor additions that would make it a great coat rather than just a pretty good one.I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Sean

In Wood

Nomad
Oct 15, 2006
Leyland, Lancashire.
I have the swedish smock and it is great, I am large at 6'5" and 17st and it fits with ample room. I have tie died it green & browns, looks good. i cut off the white buttons and made new ones from hawthorne. then when finished I soaked it in Fabsil, it is as waterproof as any gortex I have. If the heavens open, due to the size you can sit down on the tail, pull the hem over your knees and the hood up and you are in a micro tent warm & dry.
Top kit, cheap, highly recommended.:)

Robbo

Nomad
Aug 22, 2005
Darkest Scotland,
Any pics In Wood? I'm intruiged by the tie dyeing have often thought about trying a tie dye camo job just to see how it works. BTW what size did you get? I myself am 5'11" and 15st.

Thanks Runs for Cake I was wondering about draw cords and those handwarmer pockets myself.

Andy

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Recieved my Titan yesterday,
Glad I ordered the king size as I have the option of wearing it under or over my Swanni, (at 6' 2" & 18 st) those extra few inches might have meant a XXL would only be of use underneath or as a mild weather garment. It's not that expensive that I won't mind hacking into it to modify with some extra drawcords/laces or zips. If anything startling comes to light either good or bad I'll post it up here but I'm anticipating it being a reasonably solid and dependable thing.

ATB

Ogri the trog

In Wood

Nomad
Oct 15, 2006
Leyland, Lancashire.
Hi Robbo
i have a couple of pictures, but as i dont post offten and only got 6 to my name I am not able to post them yet. Briefly all I did was tie the arms body hood etc in knots and tied some rope around it too, put it in dark green first, untied some of the rope & knots, put it in a light shade of brown and finaly untied everything and put it in a light green. each sucsessive dying made the previous colours darken slightly so the finished item is a fairly dark garment with lighter patches of green and brown. The wooden buttons took on some of the dye too so they look good as well. soaking it in Fabsil canvas proof just finished it of nicely as it is totaly water proof, quiet and great wind stopper.
when i can i will post some pictures. I have to say I am rather proud of the finished item and had some great comments by those that have seen it. Wore it on a Tamarack course and Mike Rushton was impressed, so it can't be that bad.
:)
Sorry forgot to mention the size XXXL Its a small tent really.

Robbo

Nomad
Aug 22, 2005
Darkest Scotland,
Looks like I'm leaning towards the swedish smock, partly due to the ease of making it water resistanct compared to the titantex one and because all the rest of the ex Swedish army kit I have is top notch (lk35 pack, trangia etc).

If I was to get one any recommendatiosn which size to go for ? I'm 5'11" with 42 - 44" chest, I know their an over garment but I'd like to avoid getting too lost inside it, though I should mention I have the arms of an Orangutan.

(its not tooo late to sway me towards the titantex either with a nice argument in favour of it)

Andy

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I have two of them, although I have no idea of sizes. One has been dyed green and is perfect by itself or over a woolen jacket, the second is largwe still and should be good for use in extreme cold with a sleeka type jacket underneath. It is big, but I still won't get lost in it. I'd say go for the larger size as the smaller has shortish sleeves that are quite tight when buttoned up.

fast but dim

Nomad
Nov 23, 2005
lancs
Looks like I'm leaning towards the swedish smock, partly due to the ease of making it water resistanct compared to the titantex one and because all the rest of the ex Swedish army kit I have is top notch (lk35 pack, trangia etc).

If I was to get one any recommendatiosn which size to go for ? I'm 5'11" with 42 - 44" chest, I know their an over garment but I'd like to avoid getting too lost inside it, though I should mention I have the arms of an Orangutan.

(its not tooo late to sway me towards the titantex either with a nice argument in favour of it)

Andy

robbo you have pm re the titanex smock: i have a brand new one ( arrived today ) that will fit you: it fits me and i'm 5'11", 44" chest and 13 1/2 st.;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE