Which .410?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 13, 2018
Rural Lincolnshire
I don't bother reloading 410 but they are good 'fun guns', I have a Lee Enfield 303 converted to 410 (its a heavy beast) great fun if you turn up at a clay-shoot and they tell you, you cannot hit clays with a 303 rifle, but, "I can" !!!

At the other end of the scale I have a folding Belgium 'Poachers' 410 that folds up and fits into a full length waxed jacket inner pocket.
It weighs under 3lbs and 25 of 2 1/2" cartridges weigh 1 lb its no great problem carrying it around.

My 'boy' keeps an eye on it for me.

Reactions: Robson Valley

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
About to throw a spanner in the works, the 410 is a great little gun i have a couple, how about a hush power double barrel in. 20, the best of both worlds. A good all round cartridge, I’ll get my coat!!!!!!!

Funny you should say that...

I actually found the moderated single shot 410 ideal for my original uses, it deals with close range pests such as rats easily and quietly. The downside of the 410 is the cost of the cartridges and the fact there isn't any non-lead cartridges around (one of the reasons I'm looking at reloading them). Another downside is old non-moderated 410 guns are also quite cheap, tempting and often found lurking at the back of gunshops. (Sadly I've seen some rusty examples that would probably clean up into a very nice looking gun but they get scrapped as the shops don't want to check they are in proof).

Now I was looking at a 20-bore for longer range duties but I think a 12-bore would be a better bet as the cartridges are often cheaper and there's a much wider selection. Modded as I prefer walking the woods without hearing protection so I can hear what's going on.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I think a 20 ga is a really fine upland bird gun. Just enough shot not to make a mess.
We can buy discount ammo in boxes of 100 shells so it isn't too pricy for a few birds.

But like you say, Slowworm, the greatest selection of loads has to be a 12 ga.
I had the Benelli Nova pump in 3.5" x 12 ga. It would eat any length loads.
The 3.5" goose loads can hammer the pattern of your weave underwear into your bicep. It stings.

I'm not in so much of a hurry any more. The o/u 12 and the s/s 20 are enough gun for my outdoor days.

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
My first gun was a Webley single barrel 16, affectionally known as the sweet sixteen, it was a lovely gun and the cartridge was the best of both worlds but not a common calibre anymore

Reactions: santaman2000

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
My first gun was a Webley single barrel 16, affectionally known as the sweet sixteen, it was a lovely gun and the cartridge was the best of both worlds but not a common calibre anymore
They tried to make a comeback here about a decade ago. I wish they had succeeded.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE