where

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Somewhere there was few other people, a coast with shellfish, rivers with fish and hills with deer and sheep. Preferably with woods and loose stone to make dykes, walls, hurdles, gather firewood, make shelter, gather fruit/nuts.

Mull sounds perfect but may be too busy, another offshore island would be ideal but if not possible Sunart woodlands on Ardnamurchan appeals...so does the land up near Scourie...;)

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
You don't have to go too far away - there was a case in the 1990s (I think) of a criminal who hid out in a small wood in Hertfordshire for over six months. He was ex-forces, and despite people looking for him he was able to remain undetected, despite being only 10-15 miles from a major town, and 1 mile from a farm.

Will try to remember the exact details as it's an interesting case.

robwolf

Tenderfoot
Aug 16, 2008
thetford norfolk
You can hide anywhere most people when they go for a walk are either watching the dog or the floor if you stand still in a bit of cover they walk right by you oblivious to you or anything around them

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Very true. We had a picnic in the woods last weekend, two adults, two boys (3yo and 1yo), sat on a blanket, soup going in the trangia about 10m from the path and went undetected by a couple of passers by. I was surprised the boys were able to remain quiet!

lavrentyuk

Nomad
Oct 19, 2006
Mid Wales
Or going to do.

Or works for the government and knows something we don't.

I know very few woodlands left that contain much of use and are remote enough. Too much regimented conifer around here...........although with food you could hide for a long time on the Cardiganshire/Powys border................

Richard

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
Knoydart penninsula.
north west scotland.
plenty of coastline, woodland for shelter, other wildlife for food.
No roads, and low population.
It's where I'm heading when TEOTWAWKI happens.
:D

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Knoydart penninsula.
north west scotland.
plenty of coastline, woodland for shelter, other wildlife for food.
No roads, and low population.
It's where I'm heading when TEOTWAWKI happens.
:D

I think Knoydart`s going to be a busy place Graham if the time comes. I`ll be heading that direction but it`ll just take me a bit longer, get a boil on will you for when I get there.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
most of england is pretty rotten now and scotland is not an easy place even without the locals, south wales, north cornwall or the forest of dean I reckon.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
hang on, you live on exmoor and you'ld plan to go somewhere even more barren?

if we were talking worlds end then lurking over the horizon in a suitable boat while making forays into the towns for supplies would be my scheme. once the zombies are all dead mind.

lightships now are solar powered with genny back ups and full crew services so could keep you going for a long time I reckon. :)

the scilly isles would be a good hang out as well as stuff would grow pretty well.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
well personally if that situation arrived i would get me gear rehome a bit more that i need and then use an abandoned boat and set sail for the amazon because you could live there indeffinatly

Too many creepy crawlies and things that eat you whilst you`re asleep Drew

And then there`s the zombies

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
agreed on that the amazon is just too tricky, the azores might be worth a look while shuttling to the states for freeze dried food and other supplies. the bahamas would give you year round growing conditions with less nasties.

they reckon that whats left in containers could keep the planet working for 2000 years after we all die off from man flu :)

WoodWildling

Forager
Oct 16, 2008
New Forest
www.bigskyliving.co.uk
hahaha lmao
however you all have a serious point, espesh about the zombies!! We may well be the only few in this country who have some idea of how to weather The End Of The 'Civalised' World! I myself shall go anywhere where there's a brew on and sticks to whittle :)

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
thinking on some of the films say that zombies have a memory of the familiar which is why they go for shopping centre and so on.

does this mean that come the great plague there will be hundreds of bushcraft zombies out in the wilds whittling spoons till they die off? :)

OurJud

Forager
Oct 31, 2008
Manchester
I'd head for Karlsborg in Sweden - some of the cleanest lakes anywhere in the world and I might just bump into Lars Falt.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE