Where to store a canoe?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Could it be stored on it's end some how? Then you could secure it against the wall and take up less space. I know that just standing there it's going to bow out of shape but is there a way of holding it?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Could it be stored on it's end some how? Then you could secure it against the wall and take up less space. I know that just standing there it's going to bow out of shape but is there a way of holding it?

I've been in a couple of shops where they've done that, I didn't pay much attention to how they were supported though.

al21

Nomad
Aug 11, 2006
In a boat somewhere
I've toyed with the idea of getting a canoe but I live in the city I have a small shed that wouldn't fit one in.... Where or how would I store one so that it wouldn't get lifted by the darling little light fingered chavs that surround me ??
:confused:

When we lived in Pitsmoor in Sheffield I kept my 17' Penobscot in the back garden on a similar setup to the one used by Shewie. Mine was made of angle-iron though and concreted into the ground. For security I made two hoops from half inch water pipe with flat plates welded to each end which went through slots in the supporting angle-iron. Holes drilled through the plates allowed padlocks to be fitted to secure the boat because the middle of the canoe is wider than the point where the hoops fitted, the canoe couldn't be slipped out of the hoops.

I suspect that's as clear as mud, but I've no pictures sadly. You could always ask Shewie where he got the demonic guard cat that looks over his canoe! :)

Al

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE