Where to start?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
OK I'm not new to hiking/camping with a bit of climbing but totally new to bushcraft, usually when out I take in the surrounds as a whole but now I'm interesting in learning about the detail/specifics (hopefully I'm making sense here). I've ordered 2 of Ray Mears books so I'm hoping that'll be a good start and I've just got a cheap (£10) Frost Mora Blade to make the mistakes with before I get a decent one (mind you've I've already cut myself on this).

I've spent that last week or so reading around the web and needless to say I'm now hooked. The thing I wanted to ask is about wood. Went for a couple of hour walk today in some local woods but all the wood on the floor was dead/rotting so didn't pick up anything to whittle with (spoons or fire drill etc). Without removing branches from living trees how do you guys and gels find the wood your looking for? And also how did everyone get started?

(sorry about the long winded intro for a short question :p :roll: )

Cheers for you help

Matt

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
it's way past my bedtime so i'll be quick. wood for carving etc? the best time to go out looking is after some pretty horrendous weather. look in woods near the treeline that would have been bearing the brunt of the storm. you're bound to come across a windfall or two. :cool:

cheers, and.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Welcome to BCUK Lithril !
Hanging deadwood is best . Look up in the trees and you're bound to see some. You want recently dropped limbs (shouldn't feel soft if you stick a fingernail into it.). Alternatively if you see any vandalised branches (there's loads in out local park) trim it off and take that. You'll be doing the tree a favour.

Hmm how did I get into bushcraft. Well I suppose I started out doing survival courses in the army which got me interested in the "living off the land" kinda thing. I left the army in 82 and still loved the outdoors, hiking/camping etc. When I left the mob, I was a bit skint for a while but still had my old poncho and some bits n bobs. So I used to walk from Manchester to the peak district (bout 25 miles) find a nice quiet wood as my base (and it was free), then hike round the surrounding hills. Being out of work for a while it was necessary for me to keep costs down so that's how it started. Now I do it for fun and to get me away from technology. I work as a computer techie, so all week I'm surrounded with PCs Printers, Servers, Hubs, Switches, etc etc so It's nice to get away with just a pack, dossbag and shelter and make do without all the technological crap for a few days..It's good for the soul :-D
Apart from that you get to find places like this where others share your interest and are willing to share the knowledge they have with the knowledge you have. It rocks !! :cool:

Shrek

Banned
Jan 24, 2004
maddave said:
Now I do it for fun and to get me away from technology. I work as a computer techie, so all week I'm surrounded with PCs Printers, Servers, Hubs, Switches, etc etc

I'm almost certain that if all switches, hubs, servers and PCs were made from wood, we'd have a lot less problems. I blame silicon / plastic for all our woes :lol:

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Well went to some different woods today and there has been a lot of tree felling recently so loads to pick from, couldn't really pull out knife though as I was with a group so I'm going to have a look tomorrow at some point... now I just need to start learning to identify my trees.......

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
or dont! :shock: as it is actually illigal to pull out a fixed blade knife in public, and you might find yourself in trouble

you can only use your fixed blade on private land with the owners permision

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Not sure on the tool side of things, I had it on a cord around my neck and zipped up inside my jacket, hopefully there will be noone around tomorrow, if I can I'll bring it home anyway to play with.

Raz

Nomad
Sep 3, 2003
all over
I think if your doing somthing Legitimate you'll be fine.
I walk the canal and the fisherman all have big fixed knives, and they aren't on private land.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Hello and welcome Lithril, if you have transport get out of town, the new forest is just down the road from you but as you know its the most tree devoid forest in the country! Head east( avoiding the ******* speed cameras on lances hill :evil: ) the forest of bere is only about 10 miles from town and is a good deciduos woodland to learn tree identification. Wait till the leaves start to grow and things are a lot easier. Otherwise read as many books as you can on the subject of trees,wild food and plants.Its a huge subject and none of us know it all or ever will.I should add that the remnant of the forest of bere i refer to is the west walk area just north of Wickham on the A32

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Cheers I'll have a look out there, went to Micheldever woods the other day and there also some good ones near Winchester (Farley Mount). There are some good areas of woodland in the new forest if you don't mind a bit of a trek to get out of all the heathland.

Poxy speed cameras are going up everywhere at the moment :twisted:

Les Marshall

Life Member
Jan 21, 2004
Chichester West Sussex
Hello Lithril,
I work for the police in Sussex and have asked the odd bobby or two about carrying/using knives in public. I never got the same answer twice, but, if you can prove that you need the knife for a ligitimate reason (bushcraft is), then the majority of officers feel that they would leave you be, with just a warning about safety, but (theres always a but), should some member of public become alarmed at the sight of the knife, then things may take a more serious turn, therefore, the only advice I can give is just be careful where you use the knife and keep it covered as you have been.

PS. I'm not too far from your neck of the woods and find that the area around goodwood near chichester is teaming with loads of areas to play in.

Cheers Les

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE