Where to hang in the Lake District

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tripitaka

Nomad
Apr 13, 2008
Vancouver Island, BC.
Does anyone know of a campsite in the lakes that allows hammocks and camp fires?

Tried Grizedale Campsite but it is no hammocks and fully booked for this weekend. I need a site as there are few of us going so stealth camping not really an option.

Tripitaka

Nomad
Apr 13, 2008
Vancouver Island, BC.
I seem to recall that someone on here was trying to organise a GT meet but it was no hammocks right from the start. It's also smack in the middle of cub/scout camp season.

There are a couple of places that allow fires but lack the trees for a hang. Has anyone tried Lanefoot Farm in Keswick?

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I used a hammock a few years ago at (what I think was) Hollows Farm, Grange, Borrowdale, NY 248 169 GB Grid

The site had a little shower/toilet block, was busy, but not like some. It was a lovely location. No Fires. For that, we went down the road (south) to Stonethwaite. I tried to find two trees for a hammock there, but there really wasn't anything suitable, but they did allow fires. Actually, even when we were at the Stonethwaite site we didn't have a fire. Fuel was scarce and after a full day on the hill we didn't have the energy or enthusiasm for hiking back up onto the hill side to try and find some vaguely dry wood.

The way that I look at it, much as I like to sleep in my hammock, in the Lake District, the only way a hammock works is if you are wild/stealth camping on one of the many wooded hillsides. The flat places, where there are usually campsites, are all in fields in the valleys.
We went to five sites, and looked at several more back in 2005. I was able to pitch a hammock at Hollows farm, and there was one suitable spot at a place on the north east side of Buttermere. Otherwise, I was under the tarp on the ground for the entire trip, and on the busier campsites I often wished that I could arrange a little more privacy :censored:

Very best of luck with your search!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE