Where to go?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

geforce83

Jul 8, 2010
sheffield
Hi guys bit of a newbie here looking for advice. I love been in the outdoor and do a lot of walking as I have the Derbyshire peaks on my door step. What I'm trying to find out is where can I go to practice my new found love of bushcraft such as shelter building fire lighting camp cookery etc. I can't see the local police been too happy with me out in the peak district with a knife practicing my feather sticks, but I don't know where else to go/camp. Any help is apappreciated

thanks
rich

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Hi Rich, Try the meet ups and social chatter page, then go to England North. You'll find lots of friendly folk there, who will be happy to give advice and invites to meets. :)

geforce83

Jul 8, 2010
sheffield
Thanks I've looked at the meets cant really see anything local. what I'm really wanting to know is can I just go down my local public access woods or do i need private permission.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Private permission is preferable. But I dont think its possible to breathe these days without breaking the law in some way. Its always possible to find a quiet corner of a council owned woodland. Just try and be a bit cautious. I suspect most do.

Cue Toddy.......;)

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
........and the forum will neither encourage or promote illegal activity.

A great many people work too hard to obtain permission to use land, and no one wants their patch swarmed by people who read about it on the internet.

Best advice is to actually meet up with others, let them get to know you, and then people do open up about good sites

There is a long running thread, I'll find a link for you, full of good advice on the topic.

cheers,
Toddy

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I can't see the local police been too happy with me out in the peak district with a knife practicing my feather sticks........

If I want to have a fire when Im on council owned woodland, lately I've been taking my honey stove, with the expander pack, to have a 'real' fire. To make a brew or just practice with different tinder. I take a pack of small kindling from the local garage. I've no idea if Im breaking some obscure law, and not condoning or encouraging anyone else to. I normally try to find an out of the way spot but its inevitable for people to come and have a look if they see smoke. Normally I just say hello, sometimes have a chinwag, and they are on their way. I've yet to have a policeman appear.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Dave, I'm caught between a rock and a hard place on this.
I'm a Scot; we have a legal right of responsible access; to me what you're doing sounds perfectly normal, with neither fuss or bother or anyone caused any grief; but, this is a UK wide forum, and I'm supposed to Mod it.

The official party line, since other members really have had huge issues with the subject, with all the concommitant stress and hassle, is to say, we cannot either condone or encourage illegal activity.

......and if it wasn't political, and also agin the rules, I would happily tell folks to get involved and change a system that's stagnant, even if only to access publically owned land.

I don't know the answer.

I'm going to flag this thread for Modding and Admin discussion. I think maybe the subject is ripe for some kind of overhaul.
The Sticky that Timboggle wrote is excellent (that's the link I posted above), and it's helpful, but the way things are here stifles discussion on the topic, tbh.

We'll see; that's not carte blanche to open up the can of worms.

cheers,
Mary

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I dont have an issue with your moderation Toddy. Im sure everyone respects the job you do. Im really just being honest about what I do. Sorry If I came across a bit defensive. :You_Rock_

geforce83

Jul 8, 2010
sheffield
Thanks for the replies I didnt intend this causing a problem I just would like to know where I can go to practice bushcraft skills except at meets and shows or with out having to travel hundreds of miles to Scotland. I genuinely didn't know what the laws were surrounding use of public woodland

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Perhaps a simple solution would be to make "where can I camp/go" a banned question until the poster has been a member for a certain period, or perhaps made eg: 100 posts.

By that time they would have read previous helpful suggestions like those from crosslandkelly,Jed or indeed Toddy's referral to the lnk, and realised it's unlikely that forum members are going to post, in public, their favourite spots. It's just that invariably this question is asked by relatively new members and the whole ball starts rolling again..:)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thank you Dave, your understanding is appreciated :) and I do see where you're coming from with your replies too.

geforce83, your question was fine :) it's simply a contentious topic at times, and I personally don't feel that it's properly addressed.
We simply advise folks to read the Sticky and to try to make contact with others in their area.
As things stand with the trespass laws in England and Wales that advice is sound and legal, and though maybe not what folks want to hear right off, it does lead to them finding places to go.

I'll pass that suggestion on, Wicca; not sure how we'll keep on top of it, but :dunno: I'm wondering how to make the Sticky more prominent, tbh. :dunno:

atb,
Mary

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
I made the mistake once of putting up o.s map grid ref of a place i go and where i was sorting a meet, coincidence or not the place has been trashed a few times since with rubbish being left in large amounts which i have had to clean up,carrying bin bags full of stinking rubbish up 500ft cliffs aint no picnic(not saying its anyone on here as its a open forum just that i wouldnt do it again) and have sinced moved to a new location.

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
I'll pass that suggestion on, Wicca; not sure how we'll keep on top of it, but I'm wondering how to make the Sticky more prominent, tbh.

I can't remember now, is there a way for requiring a new member to tick a box perhaps, to indicate they have read certain forum, advice rules etc:?

I've just applied for my vehicle road tax on line which set me thinking about this issue, because until a box is ticked that states I understand credit cards incur a fee, the process will not continue. Perhaps 'Read the above advice' ie: Trading, where can I camp, politics etc: etc: then tick the box.
OK, ticked...now you're a member and very welcome you are too..

(Just peace making that's all..)..;) ;)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Now that's a good idea :D

The number of newbies that I've had to pm and say, " sorry but your first post cannot be approved because you clearly didn't read the rules you agreed to when you joined....would you like to try again ?", recently is into double figures this week alone.

Another one flagged for the Boss :D

atb,
M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE