Where to get very stiff titanium wire from please ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
I have been using very stiff steel high tensile wire for support for a bivvy bag, sort of like poles, only much lighter and easier to pack. I think its sort of fencing wire, the sort that breaks your cutters. In replacing it I thought i would go for some stuff that doesnt rust, so do you know of anywhere you can buy equivilant grade stuff in titanium please ?

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I'd visit a horse tack shop for 1.5" wide nylon belting in any color and length you want.
They should have all the buckle etc fittings. Stitching with a "Speedy Stitcher awl" is simple.
Use the heavy grade waxed linen thread, not the skinny stuff.

I had to work with very heavy and solid piano wire for some stagecraft.
The most dangerous crap I've had to use for anything.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
What you want is thick Nickel Titanium wire/ thin rod.
I am sure that you have heard the name ‘memory metal’, usually in glasses.
Search online.

Pure Ti bends very much like steel.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Err, Robson Valley, did you paste that reply from another thread? Either way that has to be the prize winner for non-sequitur posts; wants titanium rod/wire, tell him to go to a horse tack shop for nylon webbing...eh what??

Pure titanium isn't what you want anyway, and while the nickel titanium looks cool, I don't think you will find it without very deep pockets.
I would look for 6Al4V aka Grade5
Ebay is probably your best bet.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Titanium...-5mm-6mm-7mm-8mm-10mm-20mm-25mm-/281740804072

What length do you need and what shape does it have to take, I assumed your application required it to bend into a hoop?

You might also be able to find something in 7075 or 7050 aluminium that would work for you. Easton make both arrow shafts and tent poles.

Have you considered carbon fibre kite rods and tubes?

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I guess he should tell is what shape the wire/rod he wants to bend it to?
If straight, there are dosens of solutions.

Edit: I interpret his wish for a 'very stiff' as unbendable?

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Thank you for the replies.

I am looking fo a stretch of wire with good spring in it, that can be coiled up. Its just to put ontop of a bivvy hood to keep it lofty. The steel wire i have is about 1.5mm thick and works at this.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Stiff, but can be coiled up then you want, then used uncoiled. Time after time!
Nickel Titanium. Nitinol it is called also.
Might be more pricey that steel wire, but will last you for decades.

Last edited:

Great egret

Apr 17, 2017
Netherlands
if you want rustfree and light, you might also want to consider carbon fiber. I bought it at a kite shop and they had different diameters and lengths.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
The stainless looks the job, plus with outercasing too ! I did think about stainless being not very stiff or not very rust proof. Ill give it a go.

Carbon fibre is stiff isnt it egret ?

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Stainless is quite rustproof......
Depending on which stainless of course. But even the lower grades are fine unless you plan to camp on the sea sude in the saltwater spray.

It is as soft as normal steel wire.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Stew the Maker mentioned a company in UK on another thread that supplies blade steels and other stuff.
They also sell Titanium rods in various thicknesses.
Google groundflatstock.com

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE