Where to borrow/hire a canoe from?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I was talking to someone who expressed a desire to get back out on a canoe camping trip. Now I have never done it but I come from a whitewater kayaking background and have tried canoeing a few times. I have all the skills to do it but not the money or inclinations to actually buy one.

That leaves borrowing or hiring one. I used to be in a canoe club with some colemans that you could hire out. Since moving up here I no longer have a good local club. All the ones near me are not too good (from experience about 6 or more years ago) or seem to be on the point of folding or too far away.

That leaves hiring one, unless some of you with canoes are generous enough to lend out to complete strangers your pride and joy canoes that is.

Anyone know of somewhere in the Lakes that hires out cheaply? Or anywhere else? I quote fancy going up to somewhere Scottish with Lochs to paddle and wildcamping is legal.

Also where to go?

Alternatively anyone know a good club near to the south Lakes area?? I don't.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Sorry I cain't help you over there. If you were here I could recommend a half dozen canoe liveries; at least one every river in the area, complete with shuttle service up river. Good luck.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Killin? Isn't the falls of Dochart across the road from the shops there? I'd have done that once in a kayak but never in a canoe. Jeez! Those falls looked fun to do when up. A nasty underhang on the right wall just after the drop you go over. Known to catch someone out that is with the water piling up there and down the underhang and all. I used to be mad enough to paddle stuff like that and harder but we all grow up. Well mostly but some daft buggers don't.

Keep meaning to check out the SOTP site but as a kayaker for years I always thought I'd not fit in. Guess I've got old enough to switch from daft whitewater antics to more leisurely paddling in a canoe. Not that you have to get old just that I think it took me till I was into my 30s to calm down a bit that way.

Think I might have to join a club. Trouble is round here they all ask you for your 1 or 2 star certificate before they will allow you to join. Or make you do one of their 1 or 2 star courses. I got my 4 star, 3 star and used to help coach despite no quals that way so I ain't going back for noone. Just with getting the 4 star back in 1990 or earlier and moving around alot since then I haven't got that cert and the later 3 star. Apparently you need 3 star to do coaching but the higher 4 star does not count for the lower level coach awards only thehigher ones when you need 5 star IIRC. YOu obviously need to get the lower coaches first but not the lower star awards. So I had to do the 3 star or regress. No certs though.

Sorry rant over. DAmn this fear of litigation or insurance thing that clubs need nowadays.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Paul, you could possibly borrow my Bob Special. I'm near Crieff so very handy for the Trossachs lochs. PM me if you want.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Killin? Isn't the falls of Dochart across the road from the shops there? I'd have done that once in a kayak but never in a canoe. Jeez! Those falls looked fun to do when up. A nasty underhang on the right wall just after the drop you go over. Known to catch someone out that is with the water piling up there and down the underhang and all. I used to be mad enough to paddle stuff like that and harder but we all grow up. Well mostly but some daft buggers don't.

Keep meaning to check out the SOTP site but as a kayaker for years I always thought I'd not fit in. Guess I've got old enough to switch from daft whitewater antics to more leisurely paddling in a canoe. Not that you have to get old just that I think it took me till I was into my 30s to calm down a bit that way...

I'm 55 and still like to shoot a canoe down Class 3 whitewater. LOL. For that matter I still like to tube down a Class 3 falls when I get a chance. Don't have any canoe clubs over here that I know of but like I said earlier, canoe liveries are everywhere. Wish I could help you out.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I used to kayak grade 5-ish. Although depending on how I was feeling I could struggle on grade 3 or blitz grade 5. Very much a confidence paddler. I think my record drop is about 29ft.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Paul, you could possibly borrow my Bob Special. I'm near Crieff so very handy for the Trossachs lochs. PM me if you want.

Doc - that is most gracious of you to offer considering you don't know me. I hope it doesn't sound unthankful but since I am a kayaker and limited canoe experience I would hate to borrow from someone and damage it.

Also I have a mate who has actually done more in a canoe than me who wants to join me so I'd need two. I think it would be too cheeky to borrow a boat off someone I didn't know. Think I either have to join a club or hire one. Killin one sounds good. Think I could get a few interested too. We all wildcamp and either kayak or canoe or both so it seems a good progression to try canoe touring. I know one guy has the scottish touring book from SCA. I have the whitewater one and that is pretty good so I reckon the touring version is too. Reckon Loch Tay is a good trip idea. Also read a good trip report from someone who did loch shiel from the lodge on here recently (well a month ago now) which actually got me thinking about this.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Another vote for the shop at Killin. You can paddle straight down from there onto Loch Tay and have a few nights wild camping on the loch side almost wherever you want (south shore is more secluded). You could also have a look at the Crannog, which is fascinating (going there tonight for their summer solstice iron age party!) If skills are up to it you could then progress down the Tay as far as Aberfeldy or (before) Grandtully

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Think I've done Grandtully rapids in a kayak a few times. Nice easy rapids in a kayak IIRC but would definitely give it a miss in a canoe (well might have a look first ;))

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE