Where is suitable for my first outing just for the day/afternoon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 5, 2014
chepstow
Hi reading few threads about where's good to go does it have to be private land what are the forestry commission like about using there woodland and making camp as there is loads of woodland near me that is forestry commission if that is no good can someone explain where I will and will not be able to go many thanks sorry if question seems silly !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tom.moran

Settler
Nov 16, 2013
Swindon, Wiltshire
technically, you cant camp in FC land, but if its big enough and you go deep enough then who will ever know..........

if a man camps in a wood and nobody is there to see him , does he make a sound?

tent peg

Nomad
Jan 13, 2014
Sherwood Forest
hi peejay,

if you are just going out for the afternoon you should be ok using the local woodland as long as you are not lighting fires. You would need permission for that, and to overnight camp, and might get in bother if you were caught. plenty of stuff to do besides that though.

best thing to do when you are starting is join one of the local meets.

best wishes!

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
It all depends on what you mean by 'making camp'. If it's just throwing up a tarp to shelter under for a few hours probably no one would mind. If it's staying overnight and having a campfire then someone could complain.

Regarding private land is just that... private and you need permission to be on it. Having said that there are some private owners of woods that allow public access for dog walking but I doubt any of them would allow camping overnight

Forestry commission land is the same but a lot of folks find they can wander about on it without any trouble.

If you're just looking for somewhere to pitch up for a day then there's plenty of public woods in your area. A quick google search threw up this list

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I'll second Piercefield woods, as I've been there myself. However if you look at the local OS maps, you have a bewildering array of woodlands for a day out and walk. The one to avoid is Great Barnet's Wood, as it is very popular with dog walkers and rather well wardened

The advice about overnight camps and fires given above is quite correct, but for a casual day out with a temporary camp so long as you are off the path you will be unobtrusive, and if you treat the place with respect then no-one will really mind.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I've been walking and mooching in the Lower Wye Valley for a good many years and know it like the back of my hand, but I can still go out and find places I've never seen before - we're spoilt for it around here!

A good way for you to start from Chepstow would be to find the route of the Wye Valley Walk, come out of Chepstow by that
way and use this as a way of exploring the valley; the walk itself can get a little busy at times and the area is much more heavily populated than previously but if you start along the walk with an OS and a compass you'll find some astonishingly
lovely and secluded places without any bother.

Go out and enjoy it, and let us know what you find :)

Apr 5, 2014
chepstow
This advice is fantastic guys little more to bushcrafting than I've imagined but I know where I live I'm spoilt for choice just need to know where I can and cannot go will get hold of a os map and get cracking !

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Remember "The map is not the territory"
OS maps are not always wholly accurate and types of woodland varies considerably, for example I can show you places around Carmarthen where it says 'Woodland' and whilst there are trees you'll be knee deep in swamp. Of course that's all part of the fun exploring off track:) Aerial photos from Google/Bing are also a big help for finding those less visited areas of this crowded island.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
pardon my ignorance but are you allowed to camp in public woods? i thought ALL land was private property and had to get permission from the landowner to camp or go it rogue

Pitch a tarp for shelter or practice is different to actually camping overnight which needs permission as I clearly pointed out in the rest of my post

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
if they are public who is going to move you on?

In the case of 'public' woods a representative of the owner, be it council or other organisation has the power to ask you to stop camping and leave as do the police.

More often than not there are usually local bye-laws in place that that specifically prohibit camping or the erecting of a tent on public land.

Best example I know of is Epping Forest where all the woods are open to the public but there's a number of things you're not allowed to do including foraging for mushrooms, having fires and camping.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
This advice is fantastic guys little more to bushcrafting than I've imagined but I know where I live I'm spoilt for choice just need to know where I can and cannot go will get hold of a os map and get cracking !

Mate, if I wasn't working this weekend I would offer to come along, as I could use some outdoor time.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE