Where is it going....Part 2...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
I think the mods for the most part do a great job which often isn't praised enough, I know in the past I have broken the rules and looking back I am glad that my actions were dealt with in that manner otherwise I may not have seen how stupidly I acted.

We must remember that mods are after all human with their own lives and problems and can't be expected to always conform to some moderator super code of conduct in a way approved by everyone. After all, if people didn't sometimes deviate from a set of standards/rules there would be no need for moderators anyway.

BushcraftUK, as everywhere, has it's problems and it can't please everyone but I think for the most part it strikes a good balance.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
ScottC said:
I think the mods for the most part do a great job which often isn't praised enough, I know in the past I have broken the rules and looking back I am glad that my actions were dealt with in that manner otherwise I may not have seen how stupidly I acted.

We must remember that mods are after all human with their own lives and problems and can't be expected to always conform to some moderator super code of conduct in a way approved by everyone. After all, if people didn't sometimes deviate from a set of standards/rules there would be no need for moderators anyway.

BushcraftUK, as everywhere, has it's problems and it can't please everyone but I think for the most part it strikes a good balance.

Well said.

Incidentally Scott, I've been quite impressed by the balance and fairness of your posts recently. I'm sure you are not too bothered either way, but I've been harsh on you in the past so thought I'd mention it. Credit where it's due. Good Job.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
It took me ages to read that and even longer to understand it.

I thought it was going rather well until Pappa withdrew. :togo:
I didn't know about Scandgrind or Adi as I have been here a while I tend to skip a lot of threads.
As a long serving non paying member of the community I understand the frustration of re grinding the same subjects,but essentially the 'craft' has limited topics that can be covered and newbies often dont think to search as they are generally fired up with the same enthusiasm that 'We' had when the forum was young and topics were dicussed for the first time. I feel duty bound to occasionally hit the keyboard and reply,albiet in a minimalistic sort of way.
I think I have been modded once for similar reasons to Pappa,but that was many moons ago.I've learned a lot through this forum and feel obliged to contribute to the knowledge of others as it has never cost me a penny.
The moderation has increased noticably over the years and they generally do a good job.With 4000 members there are inevitably going to be a cross section of users that many of us would never consider conversing with if we met in the street but exchange thoughts and info with quite happily thro the forum.
Someone has to filtre the idiots. ;)
I liked Reds analogy.

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
Just a personal view point here.
I have peronally felt that there has been an undercurrent of malfeeling here for at least 6 months now. Around xmas i made a sort of promise to myself that I wasn't going to bother with logging in and posting anymore. I failed at that, mainly because I keep coming back to view the forum in case there was anything interesting. What i have noticed is that there seems to be a steady stream of unhappy people posting. This really is an indication that something is wrong somewhere along the line.

I got to thinking about what might be wrong, and the following has occurred to me :

1) The very nature of the place has a large effect. If it were a simple members only site, you would probably find after a while that everything would balance out. A few would leave over time,but you would actually form a community.
2) The current aim of interesting people in bushcraft , inevitably encourages new members, with all the usual new questions - repeated.
3) This leads to the point that there is a case of people reaching a certain point where they cannot or do not want to gain anything from being here.
4) You arrive at the stage where it becomes obvious that there is a transient nature of the place. You can be a newbie here, and learn a lot. After a while, you reach a point that you cannot learn much more because the information is so repetative. Thats when people move on.

The people that remain, i believe, are of the following :

a) Folks that have a genuine interest in helping others.
b) Folks that have formed genuine friendships ( with all the personal loyalties that go with this )
c) Folks that can use this place as an arena for blowing there own trumpets. For boasting about how everyone else is wrong because only their version of bushcraft is the correct way. There is nothing worse, in any subject, than people who are so analy retentive about their chosen sphere that they cannot allow anothers personal view point.
The way that they feel the need to trash others opinions, while firmly laying there own.
"in my own opinion :D ".
Yes, this above quotation can be seen quite often in the forum, allways with a stupid grin attached, in the most condescending manner possible.

There has been a lot of mention of "moderators do this, that or the other".
I really don't think the moderators are to blame for anything here.
From what I have seen in the past couple of years, they have done an amazing job. Unpaid, unthanked and unappreciated.

The real problem is the minority of ****s who really should leave of their own accord, but obviously have nowhere else to go.

But that last bit is my personal, emotional feeling having got back from the pub after a gallon of beer and some shorts. This is what i have felt over the last 6 months, but couldn't be bothered to say.

So my recommendations are this :

Recognise that the intention is actually becoming reality. New people are coming here, and you may have reached your learning peak. Move on !!

Recognise that you are either in a clique (or not. in which case - move on)

Get rid of the moronic rep system. There too few people here who are adult enough to use it properly, and it's too limited anyway. This is from personal experience. I am just glad the the idiot that repped me has no reputation to speak of anyway. Even though he was one of the first to complain about receiving neg rep himself. He was still happy to do this to others, just because he had a different viewpoint.

And ignore the anally retentive, bushcraft snobs. They are not worth listening to. Unfortunately they seem to have the loudest voices. Usually with a stupid smile at the sig.

And to anyone who says " If you don't like it, then leave".
I say "okay". Moderated to exclude profanity -->**************************************<--

bogflogger

Nomad
Nov 22, 2005
london
Yes, thats the way to do it, Innocent Bystander!

It's taken quite a while for the Personal Insults to start flying in this thread.

When you sober up, perhaps you will see the hypocracy in your post, where you advocate that people "Move on" repeatedly (IE: leave) but then you rant in the last couple of sentances against people saying exactly the same thing.

I assume that (naturally) you exclude yourself from being a "****" regardless of the fact, that you are actually advocating exactly the same thing as the "****'s."

BTW- Good luck with your Alcohol problem.

Regards. :p

Pappa

Need to contact Admin...
May 27, 2005
South Wales
www.plot55.com
Yep, I've still been lurking on this thread; just to see if anyone cares.

Before I go for good, I'd like to make my reasons for departure perfectly clear.

It's not just the departure of Adi that offended me, but other decisions by the mods recently. The public rebuke of Leon was enirely inapropriate, and my already poor impression of Stuart fell dramatically. Like Scandgrind, I really feel that Stuart should publicly apologise to Leon, after all, where in the rules does it say "Asking inane questions is not allowed"? Stuart's treatment of Leon highlights his own inflated self image. Stuart, if you didn't like Leon's questions, all you had to do was ignore them; all new users ask stupid questions. The subsequent banning of Scandgrind for his critisism of Stuart was also awful. And then Adi for fairly similar reasons (and most of Adi's critisisms were structured in a generally constructive way; he was imploring for improvement).

I don't want to be part of a community that treats its members in this way.

Before I go, thanks to all the member's who've helped me out over the months by sending me bits of flint, fungus and the like. You know who you are, and I'm very grateful for your kindness.

Bye.

Pappa

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
bogflogger said:
BTW- Good luck with your Alcohol problem.

Regards. Dick. :p

I am not sure if I read this right, do you mean really what you wrote here?
If I am not misunderstanding you than this was a hit under the belt mate, I hope you write him a PM and apologize.

I really don’t get you guys, how do you know if not some of us have been struggling with alcoholism and still do. BTW Horace Kephart one of the real Bushcrafters was an Alcoholic and died because of the drink. He a journalist and a cap driver where drinking and driving and killed themselves driving over a cliff.

Guys I really don’t get you
// Abbe
:(

bogflogger

Nomad
Nov 22, 2005
london
Yes Abbe, I meant every word I said here and I will explain why.

Innocent Bystander claims in his post that he: "Has drunk a Gallon of Beer and some Shorts."

This does not actually excuse his posting personal insults (since edited by a moderator) obviously intended to provoke me.

I also doubt wether anyone who had drunk that quantity of alcohol, could have managed to produce a thread that was 95% coherent.

The intent of his post was simply to make veiled insults to the moderation team and overt insults towards me.

I do not see why anyone here, Moderator or Member should have to put up with a continual Sniping campaign of disgruntled, juvenile and pureile behaviour.

bogflogger

Nomad
Nov 22, 2005
london
I also work in the field of Substance/Alcohol Abuse, so the issues are perfectly clear to me.

I hope that you are not endorsing Alcohlism as a Bushcraft Skill!

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
bogflogger said:
I also work in the field of Substance/Alcohol Abuse, so the issues are perfectly clear to me.

I hope that you are not endorsing Alcohlism as a Bushcraft Skill!

Me? No, I lost my father to alcoholism, why should I, have seen what it does to a family!

cheers
Abbe

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
This is going a tad offtopic and is not really very constructive, or polite to other peoples feelings.

[edit]well thats a bit naff the offtopic smilie doesnt work

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
I think that there's been some good stuff on this thread and that everyone wants things to be better, but things are heating up a little to much here. Can I suggest we take the weekend off from this thread, let the heat die down a little and give us all a chance to rethink our positions? I'm glad we all feel passionate about the subject, but if it degrades to a slanging match we'll all lose out. :grouphug:

Bigman

Life Member
May 28, 2006
Newton Abbot, Devon.
It's a terrible shame when such debates become personal and offensive and members leave, which will finally lead to this thread being locked.

Wasn't the sole purpose of this thread originally to give suggestions/feedback and I quote the words by Wayne;

"The threads focus is not to be negative but to look forward and see how the forum can improve its service to new and longer serving members."

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
I wonder how many of the people who ask to be banned are regular users on other bushcraft forums?

I have used a couple of others occasionally and stopped because of the amount of threads that were about this forum and calling of the mods and members. I didn't make big anouncements about it and try and get banned, I just stopped posting and logging on, no one made me join or use the forums, the forums owed me nothing, and as I would if chatting in the pub or around the fire, if I realised the conversation wasn't worth listening to I just go and sit with someone else.
I enjoy being here and it usually the first and last place I log onto when using the interweb. I have not noticed most of these problems that keep getting dragged up, occasionally I might think I would have done something different or used a different "tone" but I don't know the background story and everyone of us is different, as in life.
I regularly reccomend this site to people I meet who have an interest, but when the small minority of people who want to be kicked off, rather than leaving quietly and moving on, start arguing and name calling it embarrasses me a little. It is like taking a workmate to your "quiet" local and having a fight kick off, it doesn't look good.

Can I just say to any new members reading this and some other threads over the last few days, don't let it put you off, there are a lot of good people on here and there is lots of information on here to help you, if the people arguing in the corner are putting you off just move to the other end till it quietens down!

Reactions: gregorach

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I've locked this thread for what I consider obvious reasons. I'm starting to reach the very end of my patience here. If this is what you guys consider as adult behavior, then I feel sorry for you.

Reactions: rapidboy
Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE