Where in the World....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I think criteria #H must place higher in the order of likely success.
I may or may not like the idea of moving to America and buying a Homestead but does America like the idea of giving me a Green Card??

Easier than you might think if you have a skill or trade. Show that you have a job waiting with good prospects of self support and it's much easier. However i'm afraid homesteading probably doesn't fit that description anymore :(
Also remember the other part of criteria H: namely that the majority speak English.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I was thinking of Australia - but had a scan round areas I know and the land prices are right up there with the UK (even in remote areas).

France now - there are still bargains to be had. My in-laws sold up and moved back to the UK. They had a luxurious large old house with swimming pool etc and a couple of acres of land - it sold for less than my 3bed semi cost in a cheapish part of York.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Spain is a good option just now. Since the economy crashed land prices have dropped and property prices have gone down up to 50% Search for 'Finca'

WoodGnome

Tenderfoot
Mar 4, 2015
Germany/Northern Ireland
I'd still say Sweden. There's an old farm for sale atm that is in pretty good shape. Two terraced houses - an older one from 1901 a newer one from 1945 in pretty good shape. Heating is wood stove only. Living space is about 235 sqm. It comes with 90.500 sqm of land. Furniture (partly antiques) is included. The whole thing costs about £70.188. That is 1€ per sqm roughly, and you get the houses for free as a top-up... Won't get much better...

WoodGnome

Tenderfoot
Mar 4, 2015
Germany/Northern Ireland
I'd still say Sweden. There's an old farm for sale atm that is in pretty good shape. Two terraced houses - an older one from 1901 a newer one from 1945 in pretty good shape. Heating is wood stove only. Living space is about 235 sqm. It comes with 90.500 sqm of land. Furniture (partly antiques) is included. The whole thing costs about £70.188. That is 1€ per sqm roughly, and you get the houses for free as a top-up... Won't get much better...

Concerning the p.m.:

Finding that was out of the blue really... I was looking for a hut to rent next summer with a lake nearby in Sweden or Norway and just stumbled over it.

P.S.: Dave, your inbox is full.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I am convinced that
a) to some degree, the choice is age dependent.
b) there are no faults in no place. What can you tolerate?

I retired at 60 to move from a city of 130k to a village of 550.
As such, I have no appetite to work the land or live in a home-made log cabin.
Retired, I would not invest time in those things.

I have more garden & yard space than I can cope with, as it is.
I can drive back into the wilderness of the Rocky Mountains in 20 minutes
then leave it all behind for a good-sized, very well built, cozy house with no mortgage.

If you find 5 minutes, Google McBride, BC to look around the place.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The "Robson Valley" district runs sort of west from Jasper National Park.
Certainly includes Mt Robson (just shy of 13,000') and the headwaters of the Fraser River.
No, not even in my wildest dreams do I own a hardware store! I'm quite content to deal
with the local guys who have the Home Hardware franchise. What they don't have in stock, if you
order by Wednesday, will be on next Tuesday's truck. Then, they phone when they find it.

McBride has just about one of everything including a small hospital and a fully equipped medical laboratory.
The visible wood working community is small. Winter is peak season with 5 heliski companies that fly out of McBride
and millions of dollars in visitor/tourist snowmobile equipment.

What began as a sort of joke? I grow and sell grapes and grape vines very successfully. 65lbs/vine/2013 was the best ever.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Very true, sandbender. Common with visitors to have early suppers then go "game spotting." I have a Nikon Prostaff 82mm spotting scope (20X - 60X) on a land surveyor's tripod.
I have no regrets about the move from the city, having bought the house in 2000. Because of a work commitment, I had just 3 days to find and buy a house. Some sellers
willing to drop the price 25-30% (really ugly, rubbish tip style houses, too.)

I believe that you really need to spend time investigating potential locations. I did. Looked at 8-10 small towns. Ranked them with respect to goods and services.
You need to decide what your resource demands really are. Not what you "want" but what you really "need."
I've been retired for 10 years. I neither expect nor need many of the things of importance to younger people or those raising children.

Trig

Nomad
Jun 1, 2013
Scotland
Ive been looking at buying a house here in the uk, but holding off for something suitable / more reasonably priced. When i look at that french house website, we dont half get ripped off over here... Sure some need some work etc, but for the price some of the locations and sizes are brilliant. Just not quite brave enough to make that big of a move

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE