Where have all the Swallows gone?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mayfly

Life Member
May 25, 2005
Switzerland
I'm on holiday as most years in Pays de la Loire, France. We always see swallows and they regularly nest in the barns where we stay. This year there are none, at least not yet and it seems to be a bit late? I was wondering if anyone was aware of a particular problem this year or if it is just a natural variation? It's kind of sad as they are welcome visitors and we always enjoy watching them.

Chris

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
We have two or three which once again is a bit strange. We waited wondering where there were then two weeks ago the first two came but no others have followed yet

mayfly

Life Member
May 25, 2005
Switzerland
General shortage maybe :( EDIT: not in the Yorkshire Dales which is good to hear!

Here's a photo of some on a nest in the barn from a few years back.

5653509780_5881840c40_z.jpg

Chris

Last edited:

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Barn swallow is in decline and has been for some years though as far as I know no sudden decline has been recorded. Decline is not surprising when you consider that their favourite nest sites are nice old stone, brick or timber barns just the sort of things that folk convert to posh houses. In the 14 years I have lived in Edale I estimate 50% of suitable Swallow nest barns have been converted. This is the BTO info on barn Swallow. http://blx1.bto.org/birdfacts/results/bob9920.htm
What time do you usually visit the place in France? They are flying around in Derbyshire and Yorkshire but it will be a while before they are thinking about nesting.

hiraeth

Settler
Jan 16, 2007
Port Talbot
First pair arrived on the yard where i keep my daughters pony on the 9th of this month, and their numbers have grown to about 15-20 now.

mayfly

Life Member
May 25, 2005
Switzerland
In France at the moment and would expect to see them by now, we've been here at the same time in previous years and seen lots of them. The barns in question are not due for conversion AFAIK. They have open doors and there is plenty of nest material, hay and stuff. There is however little if any mud this year, might that be a factor? BTO site interesting, thanks.

Dogoak

Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Funny I should see this thread today as our regular vistors have arrived this morning :)
A bit early for us but spring has come very early up here this year.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Swallows are declining due to the use of pestisides in sub saharan Africa. The increase in crop production in some countries in Africa & the excessive use of insecticides, some of which are forbidden in Europe, without proper controls, has led to a dramitic decrease in swallow numbers. they are not the only victims, swifts, house & sand martins,& bee eaters to name but a few. The pestisides have a double effect, killing both adults & causing either egg shell or chick deformalities...When they arrive in their summer quarters, we too give them another dose. I believe they are a protected species now in Europe, which means you cannot disturb or destroy their nests.Germany has put them on the red list......Due to the increasing need for food production in Africa, the migratory lnsect eating birds that winter in sub saharan Africa have a very dim future.Prehaps in 10 years time we will be adding them to the extinct list.

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Swallows are declining due to the use of pestisides in sub saharan Africa. The increase in crop production in some countries in Africa & the excessive use of insecticides, some of which are forbidden in Europe, without proper controls, has led to a dramitic decrease in swallow numbers. they are not the only victims, swifts, house & sand martins,& bee eaters to name but a few. The pestisides have a double effect, killing both adults & causing either egg shell or chick deformalities...When they arrive in their summer quarters, we too give them another dose. I believe they are a protected species now in Europe, which means you cannot disturb or destroy their nests.Germany has put them on the red list......Due to the increasing need for food production in Africa, the migratory lnsect eating birds that winter in sub saharan Africa have a very dim future.Prehaps in 10 years time we will be adding them to the extinct list.

That's a pretty heavy dose of factual statements there. Many European songbirds have declined including those that don't migrate to Sub Saharan Africa, could you point us to the source of your information? Not saying I doubt that pesticide use in Africa plays a part but I would be very interested to see some evidence. Nesting failure due to pesticide is pretty clear if it is happening, have you seen any figures on reduction in nesting success?

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Just found this amazing swallow research site linked from the BTO one above. http://cspottiswoode.free.fr/Anders/Research.htm
Interesting facts learned...the swallow you saw today was almost certainly a male. The males arrive first at the breeding grounds the females following on afterwards.
Males with longer and more symetrical tail feathers have better breeding success, and this astonished me female swallows mated to males with long tail feathers work harder and contribute to better breeding success.
Significant factors on population mentioned are rainfall in Africa and dairy farming, swallows being particularly linked to dairy farms.
Lots more great stuff there.

This site has lots of data on population and breeding success. All data available from the Breeding Bird Survey shows a marginal increase in population and breeding success shows no change. http://www.bto.org/birdtrends2010/wcrswall.shtml#productivity
This one quotes academic papers that show no correlation between population and dairy cattle numbers nor to breeding site availability. There is however a strong correlation to rainfall in the western Sahel prior to the birds' spring passage through West Africa.

Last edited:

mayfly

Life Member
May 25, 2005
Switzerland
That Barn Swallow Research site is a fantastic resource. Just been reading through it. Thanks for sharing the link. Chris

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
It's a bit early to see them in Edinburgh yet but there was plenty in Bude last week.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE