Where do you carry your wound dressing?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

malcolmc

Forager
Jun 10, 2006
Wiltshire
www.webwessex.co.uk
So we all pack our first aid kit before our sharps, don’t we?

I’m just reading a book that suggests it’s a good idea to keep a wound dressing handy when out and about, the accompanying illustration shows it being carried on the top right of a rucksack strap, I carry mine in a compass pouch on the left strap of my yoke; on the basis that, being right handed, it will be easier for me to reach it there. I though I read somewhere that that was the recommended place for it, probably on the web, may have even been here, but can’t find it now. I know the military types have a specific place for it, but this was advice to civvies.

Has this advice changed and where do you keep yours?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
1st Aid kits - Tiny one in my food/kitchen wannigan, small one in my possibles pouch (next to my knife and axe on my belt), a large one in the side pocket of my bergan (on the same side as my axe/sharps) or clipped to the side of the side pocket, HUGE one in my van opposite the sliding door, under the fire extinguisher and rescue knife that can be reached from the drivers seat.
At home - in my workshop close to the main tools that can hurt me, in the pantry next to the kitchen.
At work - in my day bag with all the other bits, in the kitchen.
I used to carry a dressing strapped to the sheath of my knife - but it looked naff......

Bongo Matt

Tenderfoot
Apr 18, 2009
Isle of Wight
After travelling S America got into the habit of wearing a bum bag, and in the zip closest to me, is all the field dressings, steriwipes and other first aid essentials which is instantly accessible and has been put to the test after a few incidents and I think I will keep it all in that place for the time being because its quick and accessible and doesnt invade the main pouch which you can fill with whatever, like fishing stuff etc....

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I keep one in my thigh pocket whenever i go out, even to the shops, it has even come in handy a couple of time, Theres also the question of how often do you inspect you FFD(first field dressing or alike) for condition of packaging, I went to apply one to a rather nasty thigh cut, when I opened it I found it had been open for a while, as it had been kept on my webbing strap at some point something had gashed the top, one rainy day later and it was useless, i didn't notice as i had attached it with tape, lesson learned and it now lives in a pocket and checked every time I partake in activity which may cause me to use it.

IJ55

Forager
Mar 29, 2009
UK
top lid of my bergen for my full kit. In side a watertight container too as too often people bring out their kit and its soaked through and useless.

Never in any pocket of my trousers or smock - I do have a small travel pouch kit thats around my waist, but that gets worn only if I am out without the bergen.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
when I'm out and about I have a kit in my rucksack, a small one on my belt and a sterile cloth tri-angular bandage in my possibles kit. Much more versitile than a bandage and as it's sterile can be used on any wound when needed.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I use an old trauma pouch as a utility / tool pouch. (Carried inside my bergan, not on a belt)

Amongst other things I carry a FFD and my sharps in there. Personal FAK in top lid of bergan or in shoulder bag if out for a bimble.

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
I carry two.........

1)Small one on my belt with gloves, 1 medium dressing, resus mask and plasters etc'

2) Larger one in my pack with same as above and larger dressing, bandages and the more serious gear in and a few useful bit like sterile needles(for digging out splinters), tweezers and blister dressings.

But how often do people check their FAK contents and expiry dates?

Richard

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
1.5 litre travelmate belt pouch on belt, large FAK in top of rucksack or top of side pouch. I carry a ziplock bag with essentials in my response pack.

Check dates every few months or before a long camp. Anything out of date i replace.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
FFD in my Smock, "ouch pouch" in my Possibles Pouch (blisters, cuts and bites). Personal FAK in my bag (tick hooks, medium dressings, steristrips, meds, etc.). Monster car kit as many others here!

Red

Hi all
I carry 1 FFD in the left arm pocket of my german army jacket(im pretty certain its meant for that purpose?) another in my jackets front pocket .two might seem overkill but i seem to recall they are only good for a certain amount of blood? if i maim myself so badly i need a FFD instead of a sticky plaster I suspect I will need more than one.
I have an "ouch pouch" (like that phrase British Red mind if i use it?) in my possibles pouch if i am wearing it- it helps general aches/pain/ mild gripes.
In my work bag i carry a personal first aid kit although i have got access to the first aid kit at work but I'm not first aid trained so it falls into dubious legal standing(cant put plaster on a resident it might do unspeakable things to them if it isn't put on by a trained first aider apparently)
When I am out stomping I transfer the personal FAK into whatever bag i might be using,
If i am out for a night or more I carry a shop purchased FAK i have "improved upon" with personal additions which lives in the top pocket of my bergen.
I dont drive so haven't got anywhere to store a BIG first aid kit which is why i tend to have a rucksack with me at all times even if it is stashed in the office when at work (it is not a man bag honest)
Regards
Sam

Alex UK

Feb 5, 2009
Devon
two might seem overkill but i seem to recall they are only good for a certain amount of blood? if i maim myself so badly i need a FFD instead of a sticky plaster I suspect I will need more than one.

Like any bandage, they are only good for a certain amount of blood - however, if you have that much blood falling out you might not be best placed to use the second one!

(Blatant plug time... my new updated first aid quick reference cards are out: http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showpost.php?p=532678&postcount=29)

Hi Alex
you've got a point there,
most of the time I am out working with sharps I have another person with me and I always make sure they know where my first aid bits are. it might sounds neurotic but a little paranoia never hurts

I like you're blatent plug and if I had a printer I would be printing a copy of it right now.

Regards
Sam

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE