When to use a bivy bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tubbyfraser

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 4, 2008
Nowhere
Yup, I'd take it anytime of year for all it weighs and the little space it takes up. Alpkit Hunka XL for me but I did have a Snugpak which was really light and packed up tiny but sleeping in in it for a tubby fellow was a non-starter - felt like a coo in shrinkwrap!

Graeme

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I'm off for a weekend under a tarp (probably in a forest) and I have a Alpkit Hunka. I'm wondering if I'm under the tarp and no rain is getting in do I actually need to get into the bivy bag? It has no zips and seems like it might feel quite restrictive so I don't want to use it unless I have to.

They can be awkward to get in and out of and I suppose if you suffer even mild claustrophobia they can be a nightmare.
However; the chances of rain getting in under a tarp, are very high with even a very slight breeze, so I would take it regardless at this time of year.
Actually, I prefer a bivvy bag, to a sleeping bag during the summer and wouldn't venture out overnight without one.
I always carry one when hill walking or canoeing too.

So take it and if its going to rain , get in it;)

R.B.

forestwalker

In winter I always use a bivy, since for me winter means snow, and snow, as we all learnt as small children, is water. Other times I use it near fires, around shelters full of sharp sticks and when the rain may end up closer to horizontal than vertical. But the cost is a bit more water retained inside.

BushEd

Nomad
Aug 24, 2009
Herts./Finland
All year round!!!

Never know when its gonna get windy which is the best thing about bivys. Also damp ground, mud, bugs, morning dew. Bivy wins in protecting you from them, even if other things keep the rain off.

In summer, just bivy and silk liner, winter...well you can guess ;)

Riven

Dec 23, 2006
England
I use my bivi bag under a tarp, in my Tipi and even in a Swedish Kata. Great peace of kit, keeps you dry and alot warmer. Very light and takes up little space, not worth leaving home without one.

Sainty

Nomad
Jan 19, 2009
St Austell
I spent last night up on Dartmoor under a tarp. Laid out my poncho on the floor as a ground sheet, put my sleep mat on top and my sleeping bag on top of that. I had my bivi bag with me but never got in. This morning, my sleeping bag was bone dry (which it wouldn't have been inside my bivi bag) and I had a great, warm, night's sleep.

As has been said above, if conditions demand it, use a bivi bag; if they don't, why bother?

Martin

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
This is one of my set ups,survival bag and bivi bag with thermarest in the bivi and my sleeping bag and tarp above ideal for all weathers ,and the survival bag doesn't make it slippery.Just thought i would share that.
bivysetup.jpg

Hey Ocean1975,
Any chance of some details of your tarp please, dimensions and make etc? It looks big enough to be useful but not so huge as to be heavy - nice set-up!

ATB

Ogri the trog

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I spent last night up on Dartmoor under a tarp. Laid out my poncho on the floor as a ground sheet, put my sleep mat on top and my sleeping bag on top of that. I had my bivi bag with me but never got in. This morning, my sleeping bag was bone dry (which it wouldn't have been inside my bivi bag) and I had a great, warm, night's sleep.

As has been said above, if conditions demand it, use a bivi bag; if they don't, why bother?

Martin

Why would your sleeping bag be wet if used with a bivi bag? What bag do you use?

ocean1975

Jan 10, 2009
rochester, kent
Hey Ocean1975,
Any chance of some details of your tarp please, dimensions and make etc? It looks big enough to be useful but not so huge as to be heavy - nice set-up!

ATB

Ogri the trog

Hi my tarp is 2.5 x 3 and i brought it from Platton stores ,that's a local store to me.It is made buy web-tex and it is very light weight sorry don't know the weight but it's light with plenty of attachment points and never had any leaks yet!!!!!! If i remember right it cost me about £30.Would recommend.Also It has press studs so if you had another you can join them together probably make a poncho out of it too!!!!!!!!

nomadcelt

Jul 1, 2009
Portsmouth, UK
I must admit, I never leave home without the bivy and will always use it. You can't guarantee anything when out at night and even the lightest shower can seriously degrade your enjoyment of a potentially good night's sleep. What have you got to lose?

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
IMO the Bivvi is essential kit, no matter where your stuck or stop for the night its most likely going to keep out most if not all the nasties that you can experience at 4am!

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Having got yourself one of the best Bivy Bag's, whilst it may take a little familiarization to enter and exit it - no side access - this is a small price to pay and far less discomforting than being cold, wet and not having the ability to sleep (see the bit about being cold and wet!).

I'd take and use it, especially at this time of year.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE