When to plant

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its really very simple. Britain is an island consisting of England, Wales and Scotland. The United Kingdom is in fact "The United Kingdom of Britain and Northern Ireland"

No confusion at all.

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
VERY confusing - "the actual name of the sovereign state we are talking about is The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (UK). The United Kingdom is made up of the countries England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland."
So, the names British, and Britain, aren't really anything - certainly not referring to a sovereign state or a legal entity - unless you wish to exclude Irish people, of course - then again, to have the Emerald Isle divvied up as it is, is simply further evidence of "uk" confusing nonsense... Friendly :) = the end.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It has as much meaning as any other proper noun, it is at least a physically distinct entity which is more than can be said for England or Scotland. Britain is a matter of physical geography, the UK is an administrative state. Its no different than the USA vs CONUS vs lower 48 ( contiguous USA), vs the American continent.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
CONUS could mean "continental" United States which could leave out Hawaii and possibly Alaska. Lower 48 would be exclusive.

From my desk in the colony, I can use the term "UK" to infer "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland?"
It seemed fuzzy: Britain, Great Britain and England are 3 synonyms for just one part of the UK?
Tell me what you all prefer for the label and I'll plant some beets in your honour.

An example of the confusion with common names in North America:
GOPHER:
a) A rodent with underground borrows aka Richardson's Ground Squirrel
b) a species of turtle
c) a species of snake
d) all of the above

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
So to precisely identify my relations living in N. Yorkshire (not far inland from Whitby), I should say that they live in England.
To say that they live in the UK = is that tastless and sloppy (a colonial perogative?)

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
To my shame I had to look this up: "British Columbia is the westernmost province in Canada." I've seen promotional angling movies set there & it looks AWESOME...
So no longer a colony then.
Though I'm not a Scot, living in Scotland feels like being a colony of London/the Home Counties, & from what I see & hear & read, it's similar in the Midlands, the North of England, Devon & Cornwall, Wales, and Northern Ireland, perhaps other places too.
Only America has turned the tables on pink imperialism - to all intents & purposes the uk is a colony of the USA - we gave the USA strategically important islands and lots of money, in return for helping us in WW2 - in fact we have only relatively recently finished paying off our "allies" - all credit to the USofA.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
British Columbia enjoys greater biodiversity that all of the rest of Canada rolled together.
Even from my house, I can take you from sand dunes to glaciers in a short day's travel.
Long day if we stop to fish.

I use the screen name "Robson Valley" as that is what my district is called.
This is Mt Robson, about an hour east of my place. Just shy of 13,000'

Robson13B_zpsb2634f05.jpg

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I had travelled east through McBride for 25 years before I bought my home here in 2000.
I promised myself that I would never take the scenery for granted, that I would always look "up."
Nothing near McBride over 8,000 - 8,500'.

Oldjimbo lives north up the BC Coast. He's got even wilder scenery than I have here.

Flatland, rolling hills, the NYorks Moors in bloom, I enjoy it all. Somehow, the old stone architecture all over the UK fits the
landscape like a tree.

Driving North from Melbourne, Victoria to Albury, NSW, we went through Echuca, if my memory serves. It's on the Murray River flood plain.
I have never in my life seen a place so flat. Had to pull over, stop, get out for 10 minutes to appreciate what I was looking at.

Up close, mountains are nothing to look at = a rock wall coming up out of the ground!
The left side of the road is a 100' cliff that drops off into the river.

HolmesCs_zpsbcd6f7e1.jpg

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Never been to a place so flat?

The nearest mountains East of the fens are the Urals!

We don't shoot much rifle here...the people in the next county don't like our misses winding up there ;)

Mole

Nov 4, 2014
Devon
As others say, it's to do with the soil conditions - not too wet n cold. There was a saying that to tell if soil is warm enough, you should be able to comfortably place your bare behind on the soil!

Nobody has said it yet, but Carrots don't really work well when started in pots/trays of compost. Best sown direct in the soil. Parsnips too.

Beetroot can sown in compost, but best done in modules rather than a tray (flat). One beet seed is really a cluster and you may get 3 come up in each station. Can actually sow a few in each module and plant at a decent spacing - the beets will push each other away as they grow.

If planting out rather than sowing direct, most things do best in multi-cell modules, and if bigger plants like courgette/tomatoes etc, transplanted into in pots to get to a decent size before planting out.
Leeks can be done in modules but more efficient to sow outside, keep well weeded, and transplant at a good spacingwhen big enough (ideally pencil sized).

(we market garden for a living)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE