When they spit on You

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
i should've been clearer, i didn't intend to imply that it was a "simple" case of "just" getting a tattoo, more that once you had got to the bloodoath/tatto stage then that's it, you're "in" for life.

we do have an overt gang culture in the UK, it's just not quite so "hardcore" as it is in the states at the moment, i'm sure we'll catch up, we generally do :)

cheers

stuart

Fair enough. TBH I knew what you meant but I just wasn't sure everyone else reading your post would.

As for you "catching up," I believe you're right, but I hope we're both wrong.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Fair enough. TBH I knew what you meant but I just wasn't sure everyone else reading your post would.

As for you "catching up," I believe you're right, but I hope we're both wrong.

i should've realised that really, mind elsewhere today :rolleyes:

i hope we're both wrong too, false hope though i reckon

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
I was told that in the UK the gangs don't send people to the army for training, having said that though a depressing number of squaddies have some negative contact with the police with in 1 year of leaving but that seems mostly to be the ones who have seen combat so I don't know if that's the reason.

On the original topic however, I have just been to the shop by my house and a old boy in the isle next to mine was barged out the way by some teenage girls one of them said somthing along the lines of "Get out me way @*$%", I said he was there first and the woman at the till refused to serve them ahead of the old guy oncame the abusive shouting and the security guard kicked them out. It's honestly depressing going out to the shops or getting a bus.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Prehaps we should put things into perspective here. The vast majority of youngsters today are polite & respectful ( I won't go so far as to say interesting though :D) & avoid trouble like the plague. Unfortunatly it's the loutish minority (isn't it always ?)that get all the limelight & prehaps taint our image of todays youth.

Just thought it needed stating. :)

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
I'm afraid to say after being spat on I would have had to plant one of the little feck. I'm all for conflict resolution but being spat on in my opinion is a lot worse than any physical contact.

I applaud you composure and the world needs more people like you as it's economy a deplorable place.

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
I'm afraid to say after being spat on I would have had to plant one of the little feck. I'm all for conflict resolution but being spat on in my opinion is a lot worse than any physical contact.

I applaud you composure and the world needs more people like you as it's economy a deplorable place.

Big feck surely? Didn't he say he was 6'2".

I've made it a policy to avoid getting into fights, and I've managed to stick to that since high school. I've always thought this culture among thugs where punchups are a form of "extreme communication" extremely stupid. If someone attacks me, I'm not going to assume he just wants to make a point. If I find myself in a situation where fighting is unavoidable, I'll assume the other person is trying to kill me. Accordingly I would fight extremely aggressively and very, very dirty - using whatever means present themselves to win.

Even so, not being someone prone to violence I'd much rather not have to fight at all, or if I have to fight I'd much rather be armed than unarmed.

Which is of course very frustrating given that I live in a weapon free utopia where carrying a weapon is prohibited. Although heralded as a badge of how "civilised" we are, it in fact brings about these kinds of "law of the jungle" scenarios - where until the cops arrive the largest, most brutish people essentially can act with impunity.

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool

I've made it a policy to avoid getting into fights, and I've managed to stick to that since high school. I've always thought this culture among thugs where punchups are a form of "extreme communication" extremely stupid. If someone attacks me, I'm not going to assume he just wants to make a point. If I find myself in a situation where fighting is unavoidable, I'll assume the other person is trying to kill me. Accordingly I would fight extremely aggressively and very, very dirty - using whatever means present themselves to win.

Even so, not being someone prone to violence I'd much rather not have to fight at all, or if I have to fight I'd much rather be armed than unarmed.

Which is of course very frustrating given that I live in a weapon free utopia where carrying a weapon is prohibited. Although heralded as a badge of how "civilised" we are, it in fact brings about these kinds of "law of the jungle" scenarios - where until the cops arrive the largest, most brutish people essentially can act with impunity.

I agree with making Violence the last choice act but that isn't always a option, I am a living example of this. I hate having to throw a punch and only ever have when there is no other option but on a Friday or Saturday night when some idiot can't handle his beer and feels like proving he is a "man" and tries punching you or glassing you there is little option.

To be honest I hate fighting, I really do. But when I go out I always have some retard end up having a go and they are normally drunk pilled up retards who think fighting a tall well built guy is some form or challenge who is still some what sober a test of man hood, when I find putting some idiot who has drunk way to much to have a sense of balance and makes as much sense as a lobotomised dog turd when he speeks a chore to put on his **** when having a smoke or waiting for a cab.

I really want to know why some people can't just learn to gp out have a nice time and not have a fight, it's like they see it as a part of a good night out rather than a **** poor time to be avoided by all.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia

....and this post is nominated for "post of the week"

Virtual hat tip to Mr Wook!

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Oh yes let us all be tooled up ready to cut someone down if they swear at you. As bad as not being afraid of the dark because you have your designer labelled bushcraft axe with you if you dare to venture out into the wild that you should be comfortable in. Do you people who must have a comfort weapon suck a corner of a blanket to get to sleep at night as well?

Rather than wild camping giving Bushcraft a bad name I would suggest that such sentiments do.

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
Oh yes let us all be tooled up ready to cut someone down if they swear at you.

No one suggested any such thing.

Speaking for myself, if I was going to face a life or death struggle with some psycho who was off his head on meth, I'd rather have something more substantial than a set of car keys with which to defend myself.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Oh yes let us all be tooled up ready to cut someone down if they swear at you. As bad as not being afraid of the dark because you have your designer labelled bushcraft axe with you if you dare to venture out into the wild that you should be comfortable in. Do you people who must have a comfort weapon suck a corner of a blanket to get to sleep at night as well?.....

A blanket? No. I sleep very well with one or more loaded weapons within reach.

t1234

Jul 27, 2010
sussex
The original poster here did exactly the right thing - he had no weapon and a doubt regarding his physical strength yet he still stood down three men bullying an old man. Well done mate, if everyone in your boat did the same thing our society would look very different.

Everyone else who speculates wasn't there and has no idea how they would have reacted in exactly the same situation.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The original poster here did exactly the right thing - he had no weapon and a doubt regarding his physical strength yet he still stood down three men bullying an old man. Well done mate, if everyone in your boat did the same thing our society would look very different.

Everyone else who speculates wasn't there and has no idea how they would have reacted in exactly the same situation.

I agree with you. That said, I think we need to realize that most people commenting things such as, "I would have...." Or, "I wouldn't have had that much composure....," etc. aren't neccessarily making bragging comments; rather they are acknowledging that they don't know exactly how they would have reacted and are in essence applauding both the OP's willingness to help/courage/sense of civic duty (call it what you will) and his restraint. As we all should.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Oh yes let us all be tooled up ready to cut someone down if they swear at you. As bad as not being afraid of the dark because you have your designer labelled bushcraft axe with you if you dare to venture out into the wild that you should be comfortable in. Do you people who must have a comfort weapon suck a corner of a blanket to get to sleep at night as well?

Rather than wild camping giving Bushcraft a bad name I would suggest that such sentiments do.

Such a petty childish attack on someone who makes a point you might disagree with - arguing with points they did not make, pretending unrestraint when they showed an aversion to fighting is as needlessly offensive as it is unwarranted.

To finish off vitriol and bile with accusations of bringing things into disrepute must really be the height of hypocrisy.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
"Even so, not being someone prone to violence I'd much rather not have to fight at all, or if I have to fight I'd much rather be armed than unarmed.

Which is of course very frustrating given that I live in a weapon free utopia where carrying a weapon is prohibited. Although heralded as a badge of how "civilised" we are, it in fact brings about these kinds of "law of the jungle" scenarios - where until the cops arrive the largest, most brutish people essentially can act with impunity."

And these words and others aren't a desire to be armed? Words you agree with Red. See the Fear of the Dark thread for the number of posts saying something like the statements that people sleep well in the wild because they have their knife and or axe with them. I made the point that if these sentiments are widely disseminated they will come back to haunt Bushcrafters who claim that all their sharp things are merely tools and not weapons if challenged by the police.

As for the blanket metaphor, "if the cap fits".

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
When someone barges into me I normally respond with the English "sorry" and normally get the same in reply. To immediately swear seems likely to lead to confrontation and perhaps this should be thought about rather than to seek training. Politeness isn't weakness.

Yes - quite agree and that is what I would normally do when someone bumps into me. What I should have made clear in the posting was that on this occasion it wasn't a normal case of 'bumping'. I was 'hit' with some considerable force out of the blue. So it was a '"What the ****!!" type of expletive. A bit like when you hit your thumb with the hammer.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Yes - quite agree and that is what I would normally do when someone bumps into me. What I should have made clear in the posting was that on this occasion it wasn't a normal case of 'bumping'. I was 'hit' with some considerable force out of the blue. So it was a '"What the ****!!" type of expletive. A bit like when you hit your thumb with the hammer.

Fair enough.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Point to where anyone said they wanted to "cut someone down for swearing at them"

Nowhere but the inference is there, what else do you do with a cutting weapon if used? And, if this is not so then what is their point? To threaten, to bolster ego/confidence or you tell us?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It is indeed an inference - but it is not implied. You may infer whatever you wish - the original poster did not imply it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE