When survival is in the balance

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Dec 31, 2018
London
Many folks extol the virtues of dead fall traps as a useful tool for trapping small mammals for when survival becomes an issue. They are good, in that you only have to carry a knife to make one and every one should carry a knife. But they do take time and the success rate is fairly low - largely because of friction and lack of speed.
I was sent this pic recently which demonstrates that a powerful trap can be set with a hair trigger so that it can catch a wide range of small and medium sized mammals
20200523_183316.jpg

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Just a few days a go a mama bear had to be shot because it had one of those in its other front paw. It had two cubs, no mention what happened to those.

Dec 31, 2018
London
It's a mouse trap so can't see it being a problem for a bear. Plus there's no bears in the UK. Why not show us the news report in a credible publication.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
@Tomdhu,
Since you take issue with TLM mentioning a bear caught in a different kind of a steel trap in another country it seems only fair to ask you to explain the connection between a dead mouse in an unidentified steel trap and your opening discussion of primitive deadfall traps. How a steel trap can be set doesn't seem to offer much of relevance for how a primitive trap of a different design may or may not be set.

Also, since you highlight there are no bears in the UK, it would be fair to also point out that in the UK it is extremely unlikely there will ever be a survival situation that will warrant a person setting a deadfall.

Regards

Chris

Spirit fish

Banned
Aug 12, 2021
Doncaster
Many folks extol the virtues of dead fall traps as a useful tool for trapping small mammals for when survival becomes an issue. They are good, in that you only have to carry a knife to make one and every one should carry a knife. But they do take time and the success rate is fairly low - largely because of friction and lack of speed.
I was sent this pic recently which demonstrates that a powerful trap can be set with a hair trigger so that it can catch a wide range of small and medium sized mammals
20200523_183316.jpg
if u want catch mice make a small clay bottle temper it with crushed bone bake it hard in a fire , make the inside edges slightly curved like a milk bottle d ig a p it insert it it into the ground so the top looks like a moushole insert seeds and grain, mice go in but carn t get out because of the curved sides I use do this for fun and release the woodmice

Poacherman

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Wigan
20200523_183316.jpg
I don't rate them at all

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE