Wheel barrow recommendation

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

chimpy leon

Jul 29, 2013
staffordshire
Hey up folks. :)
I'm after a new barrow, mines fallen to bits.

Anyone know what's good out there. I have to use cheapo Amazon / value B&Q bought ones at work, don't rate em. So don't mind spending a few quid more to get summit that'll last and can take a bit of stick? Don't want to spend crazy money though.

Any recommendations much appreciated.

chimpy leon

Jul 29, 2013
staffordshire
Hi There, I work as a groundsman at a plant nursery, we use these, mine gets a fair amount of abuse chucking boulders in it, large amounts of soil etc. In the eight years I have been using it has not needed replacing and looks like it will last a few years yet. Made in the UK too. :)

No connections etc.

http://www.wheelbarrows.co.uk/the-easiload-galvanised-wheelbarrow-85-ltr-150kg.html

Great recommendation, That looks spot on. :) Always a big plus being UK made too.

The toolstation one looks like what we use at work.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Those wheel barrows are so cheap when compared with ours! I want one.
Mine is used to bring in the 40lb/18kg bags of wood pellets for my heating pellet stove.
4 bags/160lbs is OK, broke the tray with 5 bags and kind of half-arsed shimmed it up.
Better than you need = you never have to buy it twice.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Get a big enough one. The one we have is a bit on the small side which makes it very hard work to use because you end up stooping.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Get a big enough one. The one we have is a bit on the small side which makes it very hard work to use because you end up stooping.

but not too big, I had to buy a smaller one to fit through the door on the greenhouse. Check any critical dimensions before buying I guess is the advice you need.

chimpy leon

Jul 29, 2013
staffordshire
That's that then job done.
Just ordered an Easiload galvanised 150kg payload 85 litre capacity with solid rubber builders type tyre for just £5 extra (bargain). £55 including VAT and delivery.

You know you must be getting old when you are genuinely excited about getting a new wheelbarrow. :D

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
There is (was?) a pub in Portsmouth called the Wheelbarrow arms. It got its name because Naval Officers were able to hire it to transport drunken and legless shipmates back to the Dockyard. They used to have a wheelbarrow on the porch roof and liked one to assume it was the original.

This made me wonder if you have a big enough payload. I would be big enough for me put I'm not sure about some of my friends!

Were you thinking of hiring it out at the Bushmoot?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Make your own

th

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Here the weather is harsh. Rain, salt, sun.
First I bought one with a wooden frame and plastic bowl. Then the frame rotted out in about 2 years. I saved the bowl 'good to have'.
Then I bought a more expensive one, with a steel bowl and frame. The bowl rusted out within 12 months.
Tyres went quickly too, the rubber perished.
So I bought a new solid wheel, put the plastic bowl on the steel frame. Been good now for about 5 years.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I've found one reason or another to keep the wheelbarrow dry and sheltered. Seems to be holding up rather well.
I guess I could buy a new and bigger one but I won't. A few of the highschool kids that help me in the winter cannot
manage the wheelbarrow with any more than 160lbs/4 bags of pellets at a time. Bigger ain't necessarily better.

Easy for me to forget what everybody pays for wood when you don't live down the road from the mills.
Still, some claim that they get X dollars for premium pieces so why should they get less than that from me, living 20 minutes away?
All the same, dimension wood and plywood is no bargain in my village, wherever it comes from.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE