whats your job? is it outdoor work? does it fit around bushcraft?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I'm a work at height and rescue instructor maily focust of the wind energy sector. When we go onsite it can be a bit out in the wilds but it is not really very bushy - I feel like Bear Grylls as I get to rappell off a structure in the wilds and then go back to a hotel at the end of the day....

These days more of the training is done at our training centers and I am getting more and more office bound as I am the training manager and have to do the audits, etc. The plus side is I get to set up our new centres overseas.

Paulsanderson - wind is a good industry to get into as the money and travel can be great. Plus they will be screaming out for engineers in the next few years when the round 3 offshore starts production (though strangley at the moment most of the UK guys we train end up working in Sweden and Hungry for some reason)

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
I'm head of the operating theatres in a large dutch hospital. Lot's of sharps, that's my only link with bushcraft these days.
Used to be a sr. VP at a large bank and figured out that that game wasn't going to last... back in 2002! Never did put my money on that hunch, otherwise I would be free to roam right now.

tetra_neon

Forager
Oct 1, 2005
E Mids
I'm a trainee traditional cob builder in Devon - Grand Designs are currently filming our 2 1/2 year eco-build, so look out for me gurning in the background!

Phil_R

Oct 19, 2010
Aberdeenshire
I'm a materials/process engineer, work in the oil industry, and commute between Friesland in The Netherlands and sunny Aberdeen most weeks. Working away means limited opportunity for bushcrafting unfortunately, but when i'm home I try to make amends. Thinking about a change, not least to try and deal with my astronomical carbon footprint. I'd like to try and get into the renewables sector and out of oil if possible. Not quite brave enough for a complete career change, but impressed by those who are following that path. I have a friend who has just finished re-training in forestry, but he's struggling to find a job and will probably continue to do so with all the changes coming to the Forestry Commission, etc, but i have to admire him for the attempt.

P.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I'm a Mercenary in the Middle East.

:D

Seriously.

Well, actually a Technical Trainer for a large defence company out here.

No bushcraft whatsoever, but the money is good.

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
Paediatric nurse with a background in intensive care and critical care transport. Not bushy at all. Was a commercial fisherman before I went into nursing.

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
A number of things, guess I could say I'm a smallholder, tho that will never bring in any money. We've only just bought it so it's a piece of work getting it upto speed. I did (before we moved here) odd job gardening and will try to do so again. We (mrs and I) have our own business selling 2nd hand books and collectables. Looking to turn a couple of hobbies into money making ventures, but that's long term down the path kinda thing. May look to get a part time job stacking shelves or summat just to bump up the coffers a bit, but would rather not if I can avoid it.
LIke John, we own our place outright and are mortgage and child free, so don't have to worry about those expenses. Doing the above will never make us rich but then my time is my own to do with as I feel. I call no man sir. My days are very varied and I rarely will do the same thing twice in a row. For example, yesterday I was playing with my chainsaw cutting down some overgrown acers on our "land", today we are off to a houseclearance auction to see about picking up some stock.
I wouldn't sawp my way of life for anything, even if we have no money.

Will Bowden

Tenderfoot
Jan 23, 2009
Exmoor
www.MuddyRedLandRover.co.uk
There seems to be a running theme of having more than one job here :)

I'm the same, 26years+ in Architecture designing stuff, mainly old building refurb but some new build eco stuff and flash restaurants. I'm self employed and get involved hands on with some projects as I can't stick being indoors all the time. The other main job is managing a remote bunkhouse in the wilds of Exmoor, its owned by a charitable trust and doesn't make any money whatsoever but its a fantastic bolthole away from everything as theres no mobile phone coverage or neighbours making a racket, access is by 4x4 only so it gives me an excuse to play in my Land Rover a lot.

As far as bushcraft goes I am forever lighting campfires at the bunkhouse, my deerhound lurcher loves a bit of bunny catching and I'm quite handy with knots. I've been stockpiling sticks for years with the intention of doing some walking stick making, maybe 2011 will be the year I get round to starting...

Will :)

PS Bunkhouse website is www.ExmoorCentre.co.uk if anyone fancies a wild weekend out on the moor (Blatent SPAM, but it is a charity)

treelore

Nomad
Jan 4, 2008
Northamptonshire
I’m a professional Arborist and Woodland Manager/forester, so I’m either up a tree or in the woods and forests. Having a small company allows me to take time off to play in the woods, canoe, shoot and bushcraft which is great, as long as the paper work allows ;). Tend to use a lot of bushcraft in the woods, either lighting fires or making a shelter for lunch.

Just finished a contract felling 300 tonnes of sweet chestnut and I’m now currently hedge laying and planting 70,000 trees and shrubs to create continues cover in some woods and the planting of two new woods which is great to put something back. Do some volunteer work with local wildlife groups, scouts and the FC.

Love my job but it is becoming harder to do as it’s a “fashionable” job and work is become more cut throat, so looking at going back to college in September to sturdy for a degree.

Dropbear

Oct 2, 2010
scotland
RAF, used to be outside a lot but i've now got an uninspiring desk job. looking to sell the house soon and move to lincolnshire, got a fair bit of equity so am hoping to get a smallholding. new baby means not much time for the woods as most spare time is spent climbing/walking, live my dreams through the lucky ba%$*$ds on this forum!

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I'm a Park Ranger in Newcastle upon Tyne, and love it (only down side is that its so urban). Been working outside since the age of 14 (started volunteering at an early age) Have done the odd indoor job as and when money tight but don't like the idea of being inside. Never happier than I'm covered in muck and completing a job. Nice thing about being a ranger is the variety of the work. Some times I am felling, sometimes doing survey work, or leading guided walks. On a bad day I'm reporting burnt out cars sweeping glass or try to avoid getting dog **** on my clothes but for the most part I'm a happy bunny when patrolling my sites and shooting the breeze with members of the public. As my interests are photography and bush craft I hold public events around these subjects. I tend to do a guided walk in each season for photographers and last year we held free basic bushcraft days.

Plugging an event we have a winter photography event lined up for 27th Feb if anyone wants to come along. :)

jamin

Forager
Nov 27, 2006
lincoln
www.piczo.com
im a bricklayer. i work for a very small firm just 4 of us. we mainly work on very old buildings restoring /maintanace in nottinghamshire/ lincolnshire. i did a apprentship in historical brickwork with the princes foundation were i worked on many historical buildings in the uk such as fountains abby, windsor castle, hampton court palace loads of places. i do alot of tree work at weekends with my dad who's a tree surgeon.

E

Elements

I run my own outdoor adventure company, well try to anyhow. I took a massive massive pay cut to do so, but love every minute and work much harder than I every have done before!! The best bit is getting to run courses and trips all over the world, in pretty amazing places with generally brilliant clients.... the downside side is keeping on top of admin and a massive quantity of driving or sitting in airports / on ferries on my own.

On the whole, I am worse off in ££ but much much better off in terms of health and happiness :) All you have to do is like being with people and take a big risk

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
I run my own outdoor adventure company, well try to anyhow. I took a massive massive pay cut to do so, but love every minute and work much harder than I every have done before!! The best bit is getting to run courses and trips all over the world, in pretty amazing places with generally brilliant clients.... the downside side is keeping on top of admin and a massive quantity of driving or sitting in airports / on ferries on my own.

On the whole, I am worse off in ££ but much much better off in terms of health and happiness :) All you have to do is like being with people and take a big risk

I worked at Corvedale Care Crisis Intervention Center which is an outdoor activity based child care environment, best job I ever had (lowest paid) but I know where your coming from :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE