What's your camp knife?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
This was over on british blades and I thought I'd ask here. Just interested to see what people carry?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
If by "camp knife" you mean "knife larger than your normal belt knife" as a sort of "used around camp for cutting meat, slicing bread etc. , you might like this one

300092135_80b1f1d6d4.jpg

300092136_97e8164990.jpg

To be honest though, I have been known to take a large Sabatier chefs knife when I'm cooking for a large party

Red

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
i like that a lot

actually what i meant was when you go camping, or for a bimble/walk or out bushcrafting what knife do you use?

in your case British Red, i know that you'll be using the blade Stuart M is making for you!

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
My camp knife is still and probably always will be a simple Victorinox. I don't usually pull out my Clipper unless I absolutely have to. But then again, I don't get out much so......

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Aaah

Sorry got you :eek:

In that case, unti Stu finishes his magic, either this one

(A Paul Baker Bushman with a custom sheath)

416654344_28859a42e1.jpg

Or this one (a custom by Magnus Axelson)

416654337_183d055909.jpg

For a pocket knife I carry this locking ti-lite re-handled by Bushwacker Bob

396820405_217a4585e2.jpg

Red

fredcraft

Nomad
Jan 26, 2007
Quebec
I abslolutely love that handle on your Magnus Axelson's custom, Red, what are the material used for it ?

I yet have to buy a good camping knife, as I don't want to use my remington maple for battoning ! Until then, I'm pretty much like abbyd on that issue, I use my victorinox which I absolutely love, sharp as a razor. Oh and I also use it for manicure ... which is probably why I get a nasty cut every now and then :eek:

Cheers,

Miggers

Forager
Dec 31, 2006
Oxford
Opinel 10, picked it up when cycle touring in France about 12 years ago. Been in a pack or panniers ever since.

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
victorinox huntsman
http://www.gear-zone.co.uk/eshop/Victorinox-Huntsman.html (got it cheap for 17 euro in switserland in the supermarket migros)

and an Erikkson mora : http://www.ragweedforge.com/1.jpg

I recently got a very nice Hubertus Solingen hunting knife with leather handle but I think I prefer the cheap mora :D

I got a opinel nr 12 inox for my girlfriend to cut the food with. Nice knife, because the carbon mora knife gives a bit of a metal taste to the food. Maybe I need to oil it ;)

Chris-N

Nov 18, 2005
South West Australia
For me its either my modded Opinel No9 or a stainless grohmann No1. The opinel sees more use but if I had to choose just one it would be the grohmann because its more robust. However I'm confident that either one would serve the purpose of only one knife for everything if there was enough dead wood around for a fire.

JURA

Forager
Feb 15, 2007
devon
opinel for me too. or possibly a victorinox pioneer.. used to use a victorinox mauser till i lost it ! brilliant knife. i now only use stuff i can replace cheaply and locally.... opinels sell in local farm supply shops for £4-8.. i know alot of you will say look after your knife better, and your probably right..

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Alan Wood - custom made knife.
Based on the British Blades Knife (BBK - designed by Martyn) but with a Woodlore style handle (combination by me).
Though it has a bit less droppoint than the BBK, but more than a Woodlore.

Johbush.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE