What's this please?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
On a birch tree, about the size of half a pingpong ball, soft like a marshmallow.
P4280015.jpg

P4280014.jpg

P4280013.jpg

And what's this wee beastie with the looong nose?

P4150002.jpg

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Think there was a query about that type of fungus not long ago.
Iirc it moves around the tree.
Could be wrong though.

Don't know about the beastie offhand.

ananix

Tenderfoot
Apr 24, 2010
Denmark
The big ball of foam can be some sort of egg protection thingie, did you cut it open??

In regards to the wee beastie i think i have a pic of the same bug where you can see it from the other side, maybe that will help others to ID, i can also say the nose flexes very well. Picture seem to be taken around same time a year and same biotope. It did not want to eat or atack me, it was just chilling.

Blodsuger_01.jpg

Last edited:

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Ah, a beefly, thanks folks.:)

The white blob gives the impression of being an egg protection device but I didn't want to destroy it to find out.

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Ive seen one of those marshmallow type things on a horse chestnut..same sort of size and everything, went back a few days later and it lying on the floor torn open.Inside it looked like a minature wasps nest with semi-developed larvae inside.
I hope someone on here knows for sure!

Just a complete guess on the pale blob thingy.

Could it be the egg sack of the wasp spider?

The wasp spider is a relatively new invader to our shores from Europe. I think the spider is a member of the orb web spinners (sounds like a folk group). The egg sack is about an inch or so across and light in colour.

My books are lacking in information as it was only recorded/studied in the UK in 2006. First reports were from the South coast and now found as far North as Cambridgeshire.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Just a complete guess on the pale blob thingy.

Could it be the egg sack of the wasp spider?

The wasp spider is a relatively new invader to our shores from Europe. I think the spider is a member of the orb web spinners (sounds like a folk group). The egg sack is about an inch or so across and light in colour.

My books are lacking in information as it was only recorded/studied in the UK in 2006. First reports were from the South coast and now found as far North as Cambridgeshire.

That'd be cool :)

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
This is certainly deja vu

Border Reiver and I (and others) discussed this very organism in April last year :)

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40082

I am sure its the same beast - but have a look and check it out

Oh dear, I had forgotten all about that.:eek: Thanks for the reminder Red.:)

Went back today and it has lost it's "fresh" look, the skin breaking down, and it contains a substance like dry chocolate paste.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
That'll be it starting to spore.

I remember being totally confused when I first found one, only to discover someone else had a thread in 2007 (link in my thread). I suspect, like me, having seen one in the flesh so to speak, you'll know it forever now!

Interesting to note that all the threads are in April too - clearly a tight season to these things

Red

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Definitely not a spider egg sac. Wasp Spider egg sac looks nothing like that, and would be webbed into grass. I'm of hte opinion with others that it's a slime mold.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE